DigitalRev TV DEAD

FHDcrew

• Super Members

I'm not into conspiracy theories anymore really (for which I blame the chemtrails and 5G masts activating the molecular mind control devices implanted in my brain by Bill Gates through the COVID vaccine) but if I were then I'd consider whether there was any external influence to this.

The Hong Kong of today is very much not the same carefree Hong Kong that is depicted in those videos so, whilst to its viewers these videos act as a time capsule of more innocent times of photography gear "reviews", there will be others viewing it as a time capsule of a far more liberal time that they would rather suppress.

Of course, the videos are also a body of work for one of the presenters who fled Hong Kong for political reasons as he discusses here.

The broader issue highlighted by these videos being removed from YouTube, in common with content on other streaming services, is that if you value a piece of work then get a physical copy of it.

With that, I'm off to download and burn a DVD compilation of Max Yuryev's weightlifting style auto focus tests.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Of course, the videos are also a body of work for one of the presenters who fled Hong Kong for political reasons as he discusses here.

Sounds like the direction of France and many other governments.

At least he still has all the digital rev content. He could put it up on thepiratebay or something without getting it taken down. After, just make a website or youtube video saying which one is which. It wouldn't be too much effort.

I felt so sad after Drewnet either had much of his stuff taken down or took it down himself. It's part of history and it shouldn't happen. I love going to the digital archive for stuff, but it's not really for obscure things.

In the comments of the react video all the situation was explained.

"Hey Kai & Lok, Bloody producer here. First thing first the videos have bene restored (there’s a post on DRTV channel explaining what happened). Long story short, no one is monitoring the channel so things decay. I wish you’d reached out to me first, but I also understand why you do what you do. I haven’t been back to our old channel for years, and this certainly brought back memories. I still remember the hundreds of weekly meetings we had together, exchanging banters and ridicule each other’s haircuts. I remember our shared love for Top Gear, and Lok our shared Apple fanboyship. Those were the most fun 7 years I had work-wise, and I still miss those days a lot. I’m sure you’ll agree that those were also our most creative years, daring to think big (nothing compared to today’s Mr Beast era but those were some big ideas on YouTube back then!). I’m glad we got it going for so long. I’m also glad you guys continue carrying on making these videos. I have reached out personally and hopefully you got my messages. Would be happy to catch up whenever you guys are back in Hong Kong. Please do more of these reaction videos. I’d be the first one to watch! And thanks for bringing back my memories, and renewing the interest in our old channel and content. Cheers, Richard (Bloody Producer)"

After that, Kai posted:

"UPDATE: Good News! Thank you to the Richard/Bloody Producer and DR for making all the videos available again What also happened is that I ended up speaking to the Bloody Producer; he made the point - both publicly and privately - that he wished that we’d got in touch before publishing this video. But I want to clarify a few things first: First thing I’d like to say is that primarily this was made as a reaction video; the purpose of it is to SHARE the old content that we had on our hard drives with the public because it wasn’t available anymore, and hadn’t been for more than one month. Simple as that. Although the mystery of why they were taken down in the first place has since been explained by Richard/BP, it wasn’t our core objective to find out. Nothing shifty. We wanted to make the videos available for all to watch via a fair use/reaction video sort of thing. Another thing about Richard/Bloody Producer mentioning that he wished that I’d “reached out” makes it sound like we have been on good terms ever since and I simply didn’t want to mention it to him. The last communication we had was in 2016 when I didn’t sign the last contract and it was made quite clear how things were at that point and there’s been no communication up until now. Long story short: things haven't been cool between us for quite some time. We both have had chances to chuck out an olive branch at many opportunities, but ultimately didn't. I felt that we were releasing this purely for the sake of sharing content with you - the people watching - not to do the dirty on DR or to stir up a controversy. People have written about this news over a month ago; blogs asked me for interviews about it; Tony Northrup made a video titled “DigitalRev DELETED!” On 2nd November 2023 with over 80k views. If either Lok or I wanted to jump on the Hot Controversial News bandwagon, we could’ve done it much, much earlier. Alas, I have apologised to Richard/Bloody Producer directly for not attempting to contact him before hand. And the good thing is that, as Richard and I are both grown-ass men, we can talk again, bury the hatchet - let bygones be bygones - and just move on. And even more importantly: the videos are back online on the DRTV channel and, well, Richard/BP has encouraged us to make more reaction videos if we want, which is great because we really enjoyed watching those old videos together and I hope you have too! Thanks for the support, everyone! Love from Me"

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 6:14 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

no one is monitoring the channel so things decay.

What nonsense!

"Decay" doesn't mean videos get deleted

I remember our shared love for Top Gear

Indeed, DigitalRev very much had a "Top Gear for Photography" vibes. 

Although the mystery of why they were taken down in the first place has since been explained by Richard/BP, it wasn’t our core objective to find out.

And we still don't know why they removed those videos! (I don't buy the argument that it is because they're part of a MCN, and if that is true... that's outrageous a MCN could do that to you!!)

38 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And we still don't know why they removed those videos! (I don't buy the argument that it is because they're part of a MCN, and if that is true... that's outrageous a MCN could do that to you!!)

MCN?

My impression about them getting deleted is that it's some sort of unrelated thing, like business decisions or people-related stuff.  I got that impression from when Kai spoke to the bloody producer and they seemed to talk about why it happened but then Kai didn't say publicly, so that says to me its a reason that he was able to understand (either because he was told and understood it, or wasn't told but was given an explanation that made sense like it was a personal thing etc).

17 minutes ago, kye said:

MCN?

In their comment, they blamed the videos being deleted on being part of a MCN that they had to leave so as to reenable them. 

"MCN": Multi-Channel Networks 

17 minutes ago, kye said:

like business decisions or people-related stuff.

Excellent, it's not some "random technical glitch" that they're 100% innocent of. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members
20 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Max pivoted to hardware tests, mostly Apple stuff.

Happened across one of his reviews when looking for a new MacBook a while ago.

I was concerned when watching it that the MacBook I was interested in was producing excessive noise when it was under load but it just turned out that the annoying whining noise was his voice.

36 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

His camera tests were better (this is not exactly a compliment).

Yeah, the deliberate falsification of the thumbnail in his colour comparison video and his attempt to justify it on here wasn't exactly the high watermark of credibility.

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

the deliberate falsification of the thumbnail in his colour comparison video and his attempt to justify it on here wasn't exactly the high watermark of credibility.

That’s my illusion of YouTube well and truly shattered. 

Say it isn’t so? Next you will be telling me that Sony ambassadors only say good things about Sony products or they won’t get any future kit to test?

Oh well, at least there is still integrity and honesty in politics.

On 12/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, seanzzxx said:

Ah yes, France, famously comparable to the authoritian regime routinely arresting and disappearing peaceful opposition leaders and protestors in the middle of the night, as well as installing an undemocratic puppet government through the systemic violent oppression of the people.

Read the news recently? Lived in France recently? Recently engaged politically in France? The "direction of" doesn't mean they do everything like in Hong Kong as described in the video. Have you got any knowledge the power of the president in France?

On 12/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, seanzzxx said:

Get the fuck outta here man.

No need to be rude. I assume you're talking to me but don't have the guts to quote me or respond so that I can clearly see you're talking to me.