A6700 - FX30 sensor 👀

SRV1981

23 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I guess more of those will pop up once the average people got the real world experience.

Some people in that comment section are saying they did 60p outdoor with no overheating. I guess the base temp at the time they trun on the camera is important. Wedding shooters use the camera all day, so when they start recording 4k60p the base temp is already high. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Some people in that comment section are saying they did 60p outdoor with no overheating. I guess the base temp at the time they trun on the camera is important. Wedding shooters use the camera all day, so when they start recording 4k60p the base temp is already high. 

In fact, all environmental data is important when comparing overheating issues, for all brands.

What was the current temperature outside? What was the humidity level? The camera was in shade or inder the sun? What was the filming load before the overheating (aka, the camera was already hot?).

As I said before, reports (not only from the A6700) are all over the place. It is bad testing methodology (if there is any), or the QC on these cameras are all over the place. Or both.

20 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Real pros film with laser precision anyway. If you need more than 3.5 seconds of footage the problem ain't the camera, bro, it's you! 

IKR...  and for those long voiceovers that you get from interviews, well, that's AI isn't it.

Maybe that's the end-game...  Sony cameras: Recording times ready for AI™

8 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In fact, all environmental data is important when comparing overheating issues, for all brands.

What was the current temperature outside? What was the humidity level? The camera was in shade or inder the sun? What was the filming load before the overheating (aka, the camera was already hot?).

As I said before, reports (not only from the A6700) are all over the place. It is bad testing methodology (if there is any), or the QC on these cameras are all over the place. Or both.

In theory, yes, these things are all true, but not for this camera.

Here's the video posted earlier by @SRV1981...  check out the outside testing.

In case you don't want to watch a couple of minutes of video, here's the results:

• Tested in North Carolina in mid-morning 80F and humid, in direct sun
  • Tested from cold in AC all night
  • Tested in 4K XAVCS, auto temp set to high, screen open
  • Tested at 24p
  • Overheated in 22 minutes

Let me summarise: camera is not reliable.  Will it work for some people in some conditions?  Sure.  Will it work for you?  No way to tell.

There's no way I'd buy a camera like this, because you would have to know you can't record with it in the sun (even at indoor temps!), or in a hot building, or at 60p, etc etc

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Well from the youtube link I posted

• Tested in Taiwan,outdoor in shade and in door,
  • Tested in XAVCS-I
  • Indoor 26C - Overheated in 30min 4K24P, 4K120P 5min on 28C
  • Outdoor 32C - Overheated in 17min 4K24P, 4K120P 5min

Wow..  I thought the overheating issues were likely when the camera was in the sun (which definitely heats black objects) but that was in the shade.....

Yeah, lots of people are going to buy this camera and then find themselves with a new appreciation of using their phone.

Small black cameras with no heat sink and no fan, without testing my prediction would be:

In cooler environments and/or short clips, it will overheat less quickly, but overheat at some point it will.

In warmer environments, especially direct sun and with longer clips, it will overheat quickly.

Do I win a prize?

I’m going to award myself one anyway…

It’s kinda pretty obvious if one thinks about it for even a nanosecond and anything else is just wishful thinking.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Small black cameras with no heat sink and no fan, without testing my prediction would be:

In cooler environments and/or short clips, it will overheat less quickly, but overheat at some point it will.

In warmer environments, especially direct sun and with longer clips, it will overheat quickly.

Not all small black cameras have these issues.

Here's a test of a bunch of small black cameras: 

He did the tests in a room at 75F/23.9C and he cooled them down to 80F/26.7C before starting the test.

Results:

image.png.c521fa3135df98cc66aa2e14b061040a.png

image.png.15eea0b606052fc5c7c18b05a86b4cc1.png

Looking at some of these results, I'm not sure your theory stands up.

Comparing them to the Sony, these are obviously smaller sensors, but heat management is about power consumption vs surface area, and these all have MUCH smaller surface areas than a MILC like the Sony.

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Do I win a prize?

I’m going to award myself one anyway…

It’s kinda pretty obvious if one thinks about it for even a nanosecond and anything else is just wishful thinking.

Still want to test my X-S20 - it is winter here, so it will not be the best case.

3 hours ago, kye said:

He did the tests in a room at 75F/23.9C and he cooled them down to 80F/26.7C before starting the test

BIG difference though between air temperature indoors and direct sunlight at the same air temp outdoors.

But otherwise might be something in their small sensor size?

I don't have a dog in the race or whatever they say, but my old Sony RX100v used to cook pretty quickly!

13 hours ago, kye said:

In theory, yes, these things are all true, but not for this camera.

Here's the video posted earlier by @SRV1981...  check out the outside testing.

In case you don't want to watch a couple of minutes of video, here's the results:

• Tested in North Carolina in mid-morning 80F and humid, in direct sun
  • Tested from cold in AC all night
  • Tested in 4K XAVCS, auto temp set to high, screen open
  • Tested at 24p
  • Overheated in 22 minutes

Let me summarise: camera is not reliable.  Will it work for some people in some conditions?  Sure.  Will it work for you?  No way to tell.

There's no way I'd buy a camera like this, because you would have to know you can't record with it in the sun (even at indoor temps!), or in a hot building, or at 60p, etc etc

Sadly I agree. If it could record 1 hour plus in any environment then it’s not reliable 

46 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

BIG difference though between air temperature indoors and direct sunlight at the same air temp outdoors.

I don't have a dog in the race or whatever they say, but my old Sony RX100v used to cook pretty quickly!

The fact that I’ve been dedicated that S5II has unreal fan/cooking means, to me, any manufacturer not doing it just doesn’t care because it can be done and at a reasonable cost. 

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The sensor might be smaller, and the screen will be smaller too, but all the video processing / compression and saving to SD are the same, so I don't think the sensor size is the dominant factor.  If an action camera is half the size of an APSC camera then it's only got a quarter of the surface area.  

Your RX100 is a great counter-example - tiny sensor size (same as some of those action cameras) and overheated anyway.  Seems like it's a Sony thing with them just cramming as much stuff in and saying "you didn't buy a Venice, just be thankful we sold you a camera at all".

1 hour ago, kye said:

Your RX100 is a great counter-example - tiny sensor size (same as some of those action cameras) and overheated anyway.  Seems like it's a Sony thing with them just cramming as much stuff in and saying "you didn't buy a Venice, just be thankful we sold you a camera at all".

Probably.

Which is also why I use Panasonic.

It’s a very real concern.

Or rather it hasn’t been since I went over to L Mount in 2021.

Not even a hint of a warning, never mind anything like a shut down and I’ve had cameras on tripods, in 40+ Celsius in the shade, direct sunlight, shooting 4k 50p for up to an hour without a single break.

And that was with the original S5 which didn’t have a fan!

The S1H does of course as does the S5ii which are my primary video workhorses.

No fan or active cooling in some form, no dice for me these days…

I think there probably is something to sensor size being a contributing factor to overheating, but I don't think it's THE factor. I think it's the processing and overall body design. I mean, up until the S1H, GH6 and the S5II/X, Panasonic have been able to do it in both M43 and full frame without a fan. It really might boil down to Panasonic having superior processing (not just power, but more efficient coding) and body design. Once that wasn't enough to handle heating issues they added a recording limit, like in the original S5, or added the fans. 

Sony would get crap for putting in a recording limit, which is why I imagine they don't do it, but at least it'd be honest. At least then people would know how long they could record consistently.