New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

- A new log curve extremely close to LogC4, was created for N-RAW to maximize encoder efficiency and record the sensor’s original color space.

- 8.3K 120fps burst video mode, shooting only 2.5 seconds. It uses the same high-speed readout mode as still photos.

- Anamorphic Lens Support. Provides FX-format 45Mp Open Gate 3:2 30fps RAW video recording. Supports 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.6x, 1.8x, 2x de-squeezed display function.

shocked-haskell.gif

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes I saw that yesterday.

Difficult to judge with YouTube compression but it looked to me that the Zf footage was a little warmer, the Z8 a little more neutral but magenta and the Zf not as detailed in UHD but equal to and maybe a tiny bit more in 4k?

The Zf less noisy also.

I have yet to fully explore the video capabilities of the Zf but all the evidence so far points to it being excellent and a strong competitor for the Lumix S5ii having the same size (actual?) sensor and crop in 4k 50/60p.

Still waiting for my Tamron 70-180 to arrive which will determine whether I need the Z9, or whether the Z8 will do (mainly a handling POV) or even whether I could get away with it on my Zf…

Regarding the latter, well of course I could, but I don’t want to get into another ‘handling issue compromise’ like I have had all year, albeit with a good handling rig, but just too heavy, ie weight alone is not the only factor.

Decisions, decisions, decisions…

Footage-wise though, liking what I am seeing from all the Zeds.

• Super Members

Just when you thought the Z mount could not get any more adaptable, along comes an adapter to let you mount Fuji X lenses on your Z mount camera with full AF, aperture and OIS functionality.

926450902_Screenshot2023-12-08at14_17_46.thumb.png.f19980b15ad50df8993af946fa43cfcd.png2040962356_Screenshot2023-12-08at14_18_21.thumb.png.db409823724d763b481881f5127112ab.png

Price is around $299 and available on back order / pre-order from Amazon.

APS-C only of course.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BORYOZA-Adapter-Fujifilm-Micro-Z-Mount/dp/B0CPBRTMTX

8 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

ZF probably makes more sense than Z6II or Z7II because of internal N-LOG but the handling is way worse. I wouldn't use it for video because of it. Looks great though. 

Probably…

Back in the day, rangefinders for film photography were the thing.

To some they still are, but perhaps these days in a digital format such as the Leica M8/9/10/11, Q2/3 and the rangefinderesque Fuji X Pro-1/2/3 and X100 line.

In recent years, they have become video capable, often to the same level as their mirrorless ‘SLR’ style siblings, but are they the best tool for the job?

Probably not but will either work in a pinch or can be made to work…

I’ve had a string of the Fuji X cameras from the Pro1 to the Pro2 and all of the X100 cameras except the the V, ie, all of them except their most recent incarnations which are the most video capable.

I personally would not choose any of them for video work regardless of capability because unless rigged out, they don’t work very well ergonomically for video compared with their siblings, ie, I’d take an XH2 over an X100V as a video tool every time.

For stills though, either with a built in pancake or interchangeable compact lens system such as the X Pro line or the Nikon Zf, they are nice to use.

For stills, in my career, the two cameras I have enjoyed the most have been the X Pro1 and X Pro2, the second version fixing the somewhat tardy AF issues of the first version.

I never went to the 3 because though I would have welcomed a tilt screen, the one they went for was not for me.

So the Zf is a return to that style of shooting (stills) for me and with a fixed lens approach as another…and perhaps my favourite ever stills camera, was the original X100.

The 35mm focal length was/is pretty good, but 40 is better still. 12mp back in the day was OK, but 24/25 is far better. And it has excellent AF and all round operating speed including start up from cold. And then there is fantastic class leading IBIS and almost the same level of video capability as my S5ii.

Almost because it doesn’t allow for 6k shooting though technically could.

But would it make a decent or even good video camera?

Actually yes, for my needs at least and this is something I will be exploring in 2024.

In standard format, it’s ergonomically shit for holding out in front of you style video, but the Smallrig grip improves things considerably.

I don’t think it’s the kind of body to be using bigger zooms or longer lenses on, but I will be interested to see how it handles with my (adapted) Tamron 70-180mm when it turns up, but again, more from a stills perspective.

But as a pure video camera? Probably not. For one thing, it doesn’t really offer anything you’d want to shoot externally so whilst you could add a cage, handle, monitor etc, why would you? That would possibly be a case of forcing a tool to work better for you than it otherwise might, but more suited tools exist in the first place.

But compared with the Z6ii, it’s moved the game on in the AF and IBIS department so it sits between it and the Z8. Kind of. At least capability-wise, though not ergonomically.

I’m looking forward to using mine more. I never saw it coming but when it was announced ‘out of the blue’, knew instantly it would be a good fit for me.

There’s quite a bit of hype, both positive and negative, around it right now, but that kind of thing doesn’t influence me, - it either works for me or does not and for me, it’s the 2023/2024 version of the Fuji X100 I always wanted.

Criticisms so far…

Only one and that is I would rather it had a tilt screen than a flip out but understand why they probably went this route, - to try and please 2 markets.

Market 1 being the casual video shooter/content creator and Market 2 being ‘The Photographer’ who can turn and close the screen and use the viewfinder only and never use the video function.

It’s not for everyone, but it is for me.

Which topic is this again? Z8 I think… 🤔😉

Still sitting on my fence over that one…

It depends on if Nikon pop out a Z6iii any time soon and how that 70-180 works on my Smallrig gripped Zf, but otherwise leaning back towards the Z9 for the following reasons in no specific order:

A. It’s arguably more ‘pro’.

B. It’s undeniably ergonomically better and a better larger lens platform.

C. Better cooling.

D. Longer battery life.

E. Twin CF Express card slots.

The negative is it costs more than the Z8, is heavier and less discrete, but these compromises do not outweigh the sum total of A-E for me.

I love rangefinder cameras and my M9+28mm summicron still holds a special place in my photography heart. 

Reason being I love shooting through viewfinders and that's where the dedicated manual controls for focus, aperture, shutter speed and nowadays ISO become second nature. Its the pure essence of photography. 

Fuji have definitely nailed this in their X series and the XT's were imo great hybrids. I actually loved the dials for video too.

Compact rangefinder style cameras are also discrete and inconspicuous which is fantastic for candid photography and places where video may not be tolerated. They're basically the absolute counterpoint to a sport DSLR, Z9, cine cam.

That being said, there are many applications where this may not be ideal cameras. For fast action scenes, run & gun, hybrid video or even vertical portraits etc I'm always going to prefer a DSLR/mirrorless with snappy AF, custom buttons and settings, vertical grips, tilt screens etc.

So it makes sense to me having both types of cams in your arsenal.

The Zf is interesting. Spec wise it does feel much closer to a Z6 than a Z8/Z9. Video might look similar on Youtube once its all compressed but the Z8/Z9's 8K60p RAW or even FF 4K60p ProRes HQ will give you so much more headroom in post than the Zf's cropped 4K60p h26x.

All that said, I also have some concerns about some Z8 shortcomings, namely overheating. I hate to spend that kind of money only to feel limited by that. Especially considering I plan on shooting 8K a lot. So that means I'd have to go with Z9.. but then I'm dealing with a brick again, a camera that's big/heavy and intimidating. Not to mention pricey. 

.. so I'm actually leaning towards R5C now mainly for the peace of mind of having a fan guaranteeing zero overheating. Yet in a compact mirrorless format that I can rig up or rig down. There are couple other specific features pushing me in that direction as well. I haven't yet ruled out the Z8 but for my intense 8K usage I need a reliable all day tool. 

3 hours ago, Django said:

So it makes sense to me having both types of cams in your arsenal.

That is the plan and why I have switched to Nikon for stills at least; the Zf with the 40mm f2 being the 'candid' camera and then something more substantial, Z8 or 9 for everything else; longer, wider, portrait format, higher res, etc...

The Zf is interesting. Spec wise it does feel much closer to a Z6 than a Z8/Z9

Oh I agree. It's Z6 sensor but with Z8/9 'brain' in it, though some seem to think they held back on the last bit of AF performance, but whether that is speculation or fact, I have no idea. My S5ii is good, but the Zf is definitely better. And a much nicer stills camera to me. Which is the whole point.

I also have some concerns about some Z8 shortcomings, namely overheating

I haven't, but then I am not planning on using Nikon for video at this time...unless that Z6iii comes out by March and then providing it meets my spec, overheating being on my check list, it would become my principal video unit and the Zf and either the Z8/9 would switch from being dedicated stills units to hybrid use.

Only one of my cameras needs to run for any length of time. Both S1H and S5ii have never had a problem, 1+ hour, in direct sunlight, at 40 degrees celsius. Could the Z8 manage that? I doubt it...

Which is why I 'secretly' hope Nikon does not produce a Z6iii, or it's later than March 2024, or they stuff it up somehow, because then I can stick with L Mount for video, because it needs to be bloody good to be as good as, never mind better than my current S1H/S5ii pairing.

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Other than overheating ; ) I just think who will buy a Z9 rather than a Z8 will replace it much earlier very likely...

Why would anyone replace a Z9 earlier than a Z8?

I would rather have a smaller & lighter camera if it was possible, but it’s a case of weighing up the pros & cons, ie, ‘The Compromises’. The Z9 edges it for my needs though I could make the Z8 work.

It depends on your use case/needs/preferences and for some, the Z8 will fit better and for others the Z9, but I’m not sure why you think anyone who makes the Z9 choice would replace it sooner than a Z8 if they made the right choice in the first place?

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Why would anyone replace a Z9 earlier than a Z8?

I would rather have a smaller & lighter camera if it was possible, but it’s a case of weighing up the pros & cons, ie, ‘The Compromises’. The Z9 edges it for my needs though I could make the Z8 work.

It depends on your use case/needs/preferences and for some, the Z8 will fit better and for others the Z9, but I’m not sure why you think anyone who makes the Z9 choice would replace it sooner than a Z8 if they made the right choice in the first place?

I agree with all the points made. Same wondering here. Z8 or Z9? Z9 has that advantage on better cooling for sure. The disadvantage is the Achilles heel though. The form factor, the size and weight. With smaller and lighter intros each year more often (R5C is the proof they get it), you'll tend to see the need for the replacement of a Z9 than the Z8.

That's the estimation made as conclusion to my view. I don't actually think may end unfair to infer such assessment : ) Really.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

The disadvantage is the Achilles heel though

It’s not really an Achilles Heel though but rather a better (the Z9) platform for the larger zoom lenses it is designed for as this is their ‘Pro Sports’ camera.

No one has to buy this (or any other) camera but for those that do and then later say, “it’s too large, it’s too heavy”, perhaps should not have purchased it on the first place.

But for it’s target market, you want/need that lens platform and that is what this type of body is.

Would I rather have the same FF sensor capability in a M4/3 chassis and lens sizes? Sure, so would anybody in their right mind, but it does not exist.

It comes down to compromise as most things do ie, where do you make your compromise?

The principle one for me would be weighing up ergos including size and weight vs performance/capability/need sensor-wise.

With that choice to make, I personally will compromise on the physical side of this equation.

Personally though, I have taken a middle route and that has been lens based within the FF sensor capability and building a system around just 2 lenses that cover all my needs; 20-40mm and 70-180mm.

The latter choice is the key one for me in that it gives me all the real world range I need for my job, but on the smallest and lightest FF option currently in existence, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8

The body, well still to decide on that but probably the Z9, sacrificing some weight and size benefits over the Z8, for all the other stuff it brings to the table for me.

Personal choices based on my specific needs.

51 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

It’s not really an Achilles Heel though but rather a better (the Z9) platform for the larger zoom lenses it is designed for as this is their ‘Pro Sports’ camera.

No one has to buy this (or any other) camera but for those that do and then later say, “it’s too large, it’s too heavy”, perhaps should not have purchased it on the first place.

But for it’s target market, you want/need that lens platform and that is what this type of body is.

Would I rather have the same FF sensor capability in a M4/3 chassis and lens sizes? Sure, so would anybody in their right mind, but it does not exist.

It comes down to compromise as most things do ie, where do you make your compromise?

The principle one for me would be weighing up ergos including size and weight vs performance/capability/need sensor-wise.

With that choice to make, I personally will compromise on the physical side of this equation.

Personally though, I have taken a middle route and that has been lens based within the FF sensor capability and building a system around just 2 lenses that cover all my needs; 20-40mm and 70-180mm.

The latter choice is the key one for me in that it gives me all the real world range I need for my job, but on the smallest and lightest FF option currently in existence, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8

The body, well still to decide on that but probably the Z9, sacrificing some weight and size benefits over the Z8, for all the other stuff it brings to the table for me.

Personal choices based on my specific needs.

Of course, no objection : ) All you said stands.

The Achilles heel to those who feel more comfortable with and don't feel a smaller and lighter camera unit an inferior form factor, but on the contrary.

R5C is the one to tell us they're coming, I guess.

Hence I believe Z8 is yet more prone to be less outdated than its heavier counterpart anyway. For some reason they've launched it.

My only beef has a name Z9 doesn't probably share. The concern on overheating issues. Reason why the case here at my own for an eventual adoption is on standby. Not ruled out yet.

Maybe if you bought a Z9 before a Z8 you may wanna trade it for the lighter cheaper model but if you buy a Z9 today it is because the extra features and ergonomics of the Z9 appeal to you. Wether it’s for battery life, better heat management, weather sealing, the built in vertical grip, or better balance for long lenses, there are bunch of reasons why a pro would still pick a Z9 and keep it for many years to come. I know if I go Nikon I would be tempted by it over the Z8. Z8+grip I heard is a really clunky solution, the grip really sucks I guess plus it becomes bulkier and heavier than the Z9.