Come With Me (We Are One) - an EOSHD music video for DJ Paul Van Dyk

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RF4VrUuCY

I've recently worked with the Grammy Award winning DJ, from Berlin - Paul Van Dyk. Although the final cut and grade was done by his record label, the shots are taken from my EOSHD camera test videos and personal creative shoots shot in Berlin over the past 12 months and it's a real honour that such a major commercial artist likes my images.

Paul Van Dyk was one of the first superstar DJs and he's a huge part of the Berlin music scene, so dance & trance fans...Enjoy!

There's a variety of cameras in the mix, used to shoot the images - see if you can tell which. A big thanks to Christina Mj Zahra (dark haired girl dancing) and Frank Sauer (my collaborator on the Digital Bolex shoot with Christina).Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your footage definitely goes with the music which has a genuine late 90s trance feel (which I guess makes sense with Paul van dyke). Although I liked the music and the video I can't help but feel that they cannibalized your work a bit. It's non of my business but I hope that this was done with your full prior permission and that you were paid well considering what they would have had to pay someone to go out and shoot all this stuff so well. The fact they edited it makes no difference. The editing was a little loose and could have been more coherent. It was likely thrown together very quickly, so I hope that wasn't used to try and circumnavigate this being your video.
Anyway. Very cool, and its a good track, so I hope it brings you recognition.

Way to go Andrew! All these musicians and clubs need visuals, it's a small market, but, Berlin is a great place to be to do it.

Something similar happened to me 8 years ago in Switzerland. I shot a student music video project on s16mm & Digibeta. The students were inspired by a track from Ellen Allien. They contacted her in Germany, through her label, sent a link to the video and she replied, 'Hey, that great, but, you should use this track off my unreleased album'. They re-edited to the new track (which was much better anyway) and her label bought the video (for cost, no profit for us) and the track was included on as a "bonus video" on her CD "Thrills".

Sometimes the stars align. Here's a link:

Congrats again.

• Administrators

The fact is good and I hope it got you money and will get you more work! But the edit really doesn't connect the images with the music. Is dull and has no rythm! It makes no justice to neither the music nor to your images! You would have made a x1000 better job!!!

Here's the "director's cut" 

password vandyk

This is my edit and grade, but to be honest the music style is not a great fit to my shooting style which is slow and considered on the most part. Radiohead is a better fit. So if you're watching guys ;) I'm here and waiting.

Nice work! How many of your videos did they use here?

My only critique is that I felt the edit needed to be a lot tighter and rhythmic with the music

I agree, although Youtube are partly to blame as well. Youtube throw videos 1 frame or more out of sync with the audio. Any music videos I do for people, I have to make a special Youtube version with the audio moved one frame ahead. It's annoying, but Vimeo is fine though.

Radiohead is a better fit. So if you're watching guys ;) I'm here and waiting.

Come on Radiohead don't be shy!!! ;-DD

It's really difficult for anyone to make a video just with the footage you have. Even more with electronic/dance music, in which you need "pulsating" images. So next time you are shooting, remember to zoom on particles that fly, water that flows, some unfocused shots, anything that moves quick!!! 

I used to VJ, so I really made house music videos in real-time! You can watch a demo-reel:

• Administrators

It's really difficult for anyone to make a video just with the footage you have. Even more with electronic/dance music, in which you need "pulsating" images. So next time you are shooting, remember to zoom on particles that fly, water that flows, some unfocused shots, anything that moves quick!!!

I don't shoot for dance music though. So I won't be changing my style. This is a one off. I'll take the opportunity because he's a big name, but my filmmaking is going a different route entirely.

Come on Radiohead don't be shy!!! ;-DD

I used to VJ, so I really made house music videos in real-time! You can watch a demo-reel:

Thank you for your advice :)