Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

13 hours ago, Thpriest said:

You can push the S5mk2 to 6400-12800. I had m4/3 before and you just can’t do that.

i agree that the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 is a great option even if i miss 24mm. That being said, I recently had to shoot with the 24-105 f4 for some hand held almost macro shots of a wedding ring being made. The duaL ibis is great and i was shooting at f4 6400 in 6k (downscaled to 4k) with no problem. 

That's awsome.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I have heard that the IBIS + OIS is good on the S5ii and the low light sounds good too.  I could use the sigma f2.8 with the higher ISO to get better shutter speeds for the theatre photography too, I hope.  I'm not as concerned about video, because frankly the EM-1ii and GH5 are good enough for theatre video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, padam said:

The R3 is neglected, available used/gray market for a lot less

Find me some that are less 'grey' (no way I'd spend circa 5k on something with potentially no security) and my research shows they are going for as much on the reputable used market as new:

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/product/canon-eos-r3 Only dips under 5k if you opt for 'good' or 'heavily used' and don't wish for 'excellent' or 'like new'.

Reputable dealers here in the EU the going rate for new is approx 5.5k+ https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=581173241&rls=en&q=canon+eos+r3&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF9uKWqLmCAxUpT6QEHa8JAwoQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1728&bih=913&dpr=2

Someone like MPB is asking just 100 euros less for a used 'like new' item vs cheapest reputable dealer.

The prices for used did seem to go up, dramatically, within the last few weeks as I had an 'excellent' in my shopping basket a month or so back at 3950 euros. Should have bought it... 😔

55 minutes ago, padam said:

The R3 is neglected

I suspect this is because it's 'only' 24mp and it's main rivals such as the Nikon Z8/9 and Sony A7RV/A1 are 45 and 60.

For me, it's probably the only slight 'weakness', but otherwise, the 'Perfect' camera in every area. For my specific needs and as mentioned before, if it was financially viable, I'd be over to Canon faster than you can say, "Ciao Lumix/Nikon/Sony et al".

Add in my 2 'perfect' lenses and it's a dream set up.

I just can't afford it, even as a business... 😒

Looks like the S5ii is about £1300 with rebates and the S5iix £1800.  Also it is quite hard to find the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 in L-mount in the UK and for some reason the L-mount is more expensive than the Sony...

Is there much value of the newer X version over the original Sii to be worth £500?

I also hate buying stuff before Black Friday, not sure if Panasonic will have better offers by then.  Sadly the next show I have to shoot is almost in production.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I suspect this is because it's 'only' 24mp and it's main rivals such as the Nikon Z8/9 and Sony A7RV/A1 are 45 and 60.

For me, it's probably the only slight 'weakness', but otherwise, the 'Perfect' camera in every area. For my specific needs and as mentioned before, if it was financially viable, I'd be over to Canon faster than you can say, "Ciao Lumix/Nikon/Sony et al".

Add in my 2 'perfect' lenses and it's a dream set up.

I just can't afford it, even as a business... 😒

The importance of having less data for RAW video is underrated.
I would much rather have the option to shoot (uncropped) 6K RAW than 8K (better quality 4K120p as well, although I would like it oversampled to make the full case for a 24MP sensor in a "perfect" hybrid camera.)

Dual IS definitely makes shooting more stable, the brand take takes most of the use is Canon as a lot of their RF lens got IS, but sadly for walking video shots Panasonic seems to be the best and then the Sony with Dynamic Active IS,I wonder is it more to do with algorithm beside hardware.

When I shoot ring shot on RF 24mm 1.8 (thanks to 0.5x magnification) it is a lot more stable than shooting at tele end like 105mm on gimbal 😅

55 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

So...

I was diagnosed with kidney cancer on September 5. I had my right kidney removed on October 13 and am now cancer free (and if my scans show nothing in April I'll be considered cured!). During that entire period though, I didn't do any jobs and just focused on recovering, but had decided to dip my toe back into the water and had a small job planned for a friend this week.

As I was just going through my equipment in preparation of getting back into the swing of things my pup Teri knocked over my main S5 and IT BROKE. Now, it doesn't impact my job because I have two extras of the same cameras, but obviously it left me needing to get a new camera. Sooo...

I bought the Lumix S5IIX instead of getting another used S5. I swore I'd never buy a camera brand new again, but the used price isn't that much less, and I was able to get a decent deal on it with a lens. With all I've been through (having my kidney removed was, without a doubt, the most painful thing I've ever experienced, just FYI) I figured I'd treat myself. 

This is a long way to ask a couple questions while I wait for it to arrive tomorrow:

1. how easy is it to match the original S5 straight out of camera or with a little tweaking using the standard or natural color profile? I will use log, but for certain jobs it's just easier to skip that part.

2. why is there no third party battery grip? has anyone heard why? 

3. I have a couple third party batteries. Wasabi and Newmowa brands. Has anyone encouraged any problems with third party batteries? I have like six OEM batteries but I've heard the S5II and S5IIX's battery life isn't as good as the S5.

4. what are the best settings? I've seen tons of YouTubers but I'd prefer to hear it from people that do more than film themselves in their spare bedroom/garage and actually are out there getting the most out of their camera.

5. This one is most important: I just want you all to know I love you all. My ordeal has given me a greater appreciation for life, the interactions I have with other human beings, and just everything, really. Thank you @Andrew Reid and everyone else that makes this place special.

I'm sorry to hear that and glad you've recovered and doing well.  These things definitely give clarity on what is important in life!

Sounds like you definitely deserve a new camera - the S5iiX looks like a killer offering.  I've been playing "if I won lotto, what would I buy" recently and the S5iiX is high on that list.  Enjoy!!

My only piece of advice is to just shoot a bunch of test shots and play with it to really understand how far you can push it etc.  Especially shooting highly saturated, high DR scenes, and doing a series of under / over exposures, then trying to pull them all back to a normal exposure again.  If you can get everything setup to where you can pull footage down / up to a normal exposure and have it look correct then you're in a good place with normal WB / exposure / saturation / etc adjustments.

@newfoundmass I hope the time until April flies by for you. Bon courage mon ami.

Otherwise ‘answers’…

1. Never tried but should not be too difficult?

2. Very weird. The original fits I believe but not quite flush?

3. Zero issues.

4. Impossible to say really… My go to’s are: 6k 25p or 4k 50p for short clips and 4k 25p for longer stuff. My M2 chip MacBook is less keen on the 6k, but to my eye, it does look better. Log or Flat profile. I’ve never shot externally and have the vanilla 5ii so long GOP for me.

5. Well said. Communities will always thrive if enough people actively participate.

I think I’d be as happy with an FX3 and an FX30 instead of the S1H and S5ii that I have for video work.

I prefer the look of the Sony bodies for sure as they look less ‘DSLR’ and are more compact and externally identical.

They miss out on a few bits and bobs but counter with the ability to use Tamron lenses which as someone who has just shifted to Nikon for stills and 2 out of my 3 lenses are adapted Tamron, it would give me more crossover ability.

After the 2024 season I will decide.

Option A. Keep as is, ie, pair of Lumix for video plus pair of Nikon for stills.

Option B. Swap the pair of Lumix for a single Sony. Probably FX3 so I can pretend I am in Thailand and capturing laser guns etc.

Option C. Swap the L Mount gear for at least one more Nikon and make all 3 hybrid.

Then again, may trade the 2 remaining Lumix cameras and 2 lenses I still have for a single FX3 and another Tamron lens…

The financials stack up on this option and it does mean less kit which is a good thing…

I do wish Panasonic would ditch the traditional DSLR body and do something different when releasing these video focused cameras.

I think it is easy to think the grass is greener on the otherside, but having had the opportunity to use the FX3 there were just so many little things, in addition to just not liking the image as much, that I just didn't enjoy the overall experience. Something as simple as not having shutter speed was enough to drive me nuts! Granted, these are things that I am sure that you would get over eventually, but I just want to make the entire process as easy as possible. And no one really does that as easily as Panny Boy.

I definitely enjoy the lighter lens after trying out Sony this year, but unfortunately the people I colab with definitely prefer the Canon colour 100% of the time.. the most recent one was shooting for this DJ from Canada where he used Komodo for Spain shoot and Sony for Oz shoots, and we shoot C70 RAW for him here in NZ, he said the Sony was really hard to get nicer colour vs Red or the Canon after he did some quick edit afterwards.

So might stick back to Canon.

And my friend who shoot with Panasonic does have people laugh at him for using old piece of gear (the EVA1), on this one job after seeing the result (it's a livestream job and they have a dedicated people that does lut and facial beauty thing done in real time as well) they said Panasonic looks nicer than the Sony's they used and need much less time on tweaking.

8 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

And my friend who shoot with Panasonic does have people laugh at him for using old piece of gear (the EVA1), on this one job after seeing the result (it's a livestream job and they have a dedicated people that does lut and facial beauty thing done in real time as well) they said Panasonic looks nicer than the Sony's they used and need much less time on tweaking.

I hear that a lot too, and I see it with my own eyes. Panasonic just has a much nicer image, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I definitely enjoy the lighter lens after trying out Sony this year, but unfortunately the people I colab with definitely prefer the Canon colour 100% of the time.. the most recent one was shooting for this DJ from Canada where he used Komodo for Spain shoot and Sony for Oz shoots, and we shoot C70 RAW for him here in NZ, he said the Sony was really hard to get nicer colour vs Red or the Canon after he did some quick edit afterwards.

Sounds like he needs to learn about colour management.

The more I learn, the more I realise "I can get better colour with X" really just means "I don't use colour management and I prefer the LUT I happen to use for X over the LUT I happen to use for Y".

In my recent attempt to match GH5 to OG BMPCC, I was surprised at how easy it was, and how difficult I found it in previous attempts.  It's taken me a long time to get here, but now I'm here I look at cameras fundamentally differently - they are just devices that capture an image (with whatever DR / noise they have), process and compress that image (NR, sharpening, compression) and then I pull it into Resolve and (assuming they have a documented colour space) I can do whatever I like, applying whatever colour science I like.

The thing that matters most is the usability of the camera to capture things and work reliably etc.

Half the amateur camera / colour grading videos are "how do I grade Sony" "how do get the best from Fuji", but the colourist videos talk about colour management, and then talk about technique and workflow.  There's a reason for that.

11 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Option B. Swap the pair of Lumix for a single Sony. Probably FX3 so I can pretend I am in Thailand and capturing laser guns etc.

1) 😆 😅 🤣😆😂

2) why only a single Sony? Especially as you're open to using the FX30, and the FX30 is so cheap. 

Go for a FX3 and FX30 with each having a zoom lens covering what you wanted. 

For instance if I wanted insane range coverage I'd go with:

Sony FX30 with a Sony E 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G OSS Lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502821-REG/sony_e_70_350mm_f_4_5_6_3_g.html

Sony FX3 with a Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369442-REG/sony_sel24105g_fe_24_105mm_f_4_g.html

But I guess you want less extreme reach, and more speed. If so, then:

Sony FX30 with a Tamron 35-150mm f/2-2.8 Di III VXD Lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1658158-REG/tamron_a058_35_150mm_f_f_2_2_8_di_iii.html

FX3 with a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.8 Di III VXD (or Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8, if you want extra wide, and don't mind having the gap of 35mm vs 50mm FF FoV when it comes to your FX3 vs FX30)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1723545-REG/tamron_a062_20_40mm_f_2_8_di_iii.html 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338516-REG/sony_sel1635gm_fe_16_35mm_f_2_8_gm.html

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

why only a single Sony? Especially as you're open to using the FX30, and the FX30 is so cheap. 

Size & weight of overall kit as a one man band hybrid shooter.

As things stand, going into ‘24, I have a 4 camera, 5 lens set up split:

2 bodies, 2 lenses, L Mount ‘video’

plus

2 bodies, 3 lenses, Nikon ‘stills’

Many reasons including; preferring Nikon for stills over anything Lumix currently offer, but preferring what Lumix offers for video, plus cost as I’m mainly already invested in L Mount (although sold 1 body and 4 lenses very recently).

I would rather have 3 bodies and 4 lenses however and 4 interchangeable lenses at that, but nothing is cross compatible between Nikon and L Mount.

Switching to Sony or Nikon for video would give me that cross compatibility plus less kit to lug around and use.

Switching to Sony for video only really gains me the ability to cross swap lenses but a full switch to Nikon perhaps makes more sense as I could use all 3 cameras as hybrid rather than designated as video or stills.

28 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Go for a FX3 and FX30 with each having a zoom lens covering what you wanted. 

Better low light FX3 vs better rear screen of the FX30 plus more reach with the same lens FX30.

I’d go with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2 because it’s compact and an excellent lens and on an FX30, would give me more like a 40-110mm lens.

But, yes, I do sometimes have a requirement for something longer…

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For instance if I wanted insane range coverage I'd go with:

Which I don’t need and am covered for all my needs with the 70-180…except it’s on a stills designated body…

So, flipping my 2 remaining L Mount bodies and 2 lenses for a 3rd single Nikon and a third Tamron lens, 28-75 would make most sense having the 20-40 and 70-180.

But what?

I have a Zf and it’s perfect for my needs, (candid stills) and is supposed to have very nice video (not tried it yet for that) but is it suited to being an all day, principal video unit? I think not.

My intended second unit is a Z8 even though I prefer the Z9. It’s just more compact and costs considerably less.

Could I afford/justify another Z8? Nope.

So the only other option is a used Z6ii, but is that in any way better than an S5ii? I don’t think so…

Which leaves something that does not exist yet but most likely will pretty soon, the Nikon Z6iii.

And that is the final piece of the puzzle I am waiting on and will determine whether:

A. Stick with the Lumix/Nikon mix for ‘24

B. Go fully Nikon but perhaps the Zf plus a pair of Z6ii’s

C. Zf, Z8, Z6iii

D. Pair of Nikon’s plus a single Sony

I would and will be happy with any of these options which is why I am heading in this direction, but I think B mostly likely, then C, then A and least likely D…though that option still makes huge sense.

As always it is a juggling act but all the options are great now, so it’s a case of which suits me best.

36 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

D. Pair of Nikon’s plus a single Sony

Still don't quite understand why you'd get a single Sony?? 

You do mainly video or stills? (rarely both at once?)

What do you do then on a video shoot, Sony FX3 plus a Nikon body? 

On a stills shoot you'd never touch the Sony FX3 body? (unless in an emergency and you need to grab a backup due to one body failing. I guess that's why you wouldn't want to own only two bodies)