Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

• Super Members

So after what can only be described as a Devon Loch moment (ask your Dad) in the absolutely nailed on not going to change my mind purchase of a Nikon Z8, I now find myself joining you as a fellow Panasonic S5ii owner.

I had been struggling with the sunk cost fallacy aspect of buying the Z8 as a way of stopping my collection of pro Nikon glass collecting dust in the Peli cases but eventually bit the bullet and accepted reality.

The Z8 would indeed have given them an extended life but I’m not going to be hauling big f2.8 teles and zooms around with me any more so would you have eventually have to have caved and built up a Z mount collection to go with it.

Financially, that would be out of the question anyway and I couldn’t ignore the value proposition of the S5ii route.

So, after a bit of judicious choice of a combination of used and new offers and bundles, I’ve managed to acquire all of the following for roughly the same price as the Z8 and one of its Cf cards.

Panasonic S5ii

Panasonic 20-60mm f3.5-5.6

Panasonic 35mm f1.8

Panasonic 50mm f1.8

Panasonic 85mm f1.8

Sigma MC-21 EF-L adapter

Sigma 16-28mm f2.8

Sigma EVF for my Fp

As I have other L mount cameras (Leica SL and Sigma Fp) this collection will benefit all of them.

As I say, the value of getting not just a camera but three fast-ish primes, a very interesting kit zoom, a fast ultra wide zoom, the EF adapter and the long awaited completing part of my Fp puzzle couldn’t be ignored.

And all of them are light and compact compared to what I would’ve been rocking on the Z8.

Essentially, I went in for what I thought at my age might be a forever camera and walked out with my forever lens mount instead.

First impressions are that I don’t know enough about it yet to have any. It’s not to say I haven’t used it but it’s on all default settings, I haven’t really read the manual and I’m here on holiday so I haven’t/won’t put in the work to have a better  feel for it.

I’ll also defer judgement until after the imminent firmware update.

On a surface level, I’ve found the IBIS to be fairly impressive but the AF, whilst a huge leap forward over other L mount cameras that I’ve got, can be a bit of a mixed bag in lower light, particularly the face detect.

Again, I’ve got everything on default so I’m sure it can be tuned to be better.

What I will say as well is that the Sigma 16-28mm f2.8 is worth a look for anyone contemplating it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

What I will say as well is that the Sigma 16-28mm f2.8 is worth a look for anyone contemplating it.

Yep. Working that combined with the 28-70 on a pair of S5ii’s in about 30 minutes time at that job in Bordeaux ce soir.

Booked the Yelloh ! camping village but my clients gifted me a 2 bed lakeside cottage so dumped the van there!

Likewise, I think I am now welded to L Mount for the remainder of my career. And that is not a bad thing.

New firmwares today 

"NEW Firmware 13th June 2023
The LUMIX S5II v2 firmware update will offer RAW data
output over HDMI (Requires Software Upgrade Key
DWW-SFU2). In addition to ProRes RAW, Blackmagic
RAW will now be available.
Improved image quality when shooting with V-log.

Live View Composite, which is pre-installed on the
LUMIX S5IIX, is also among the new features included
in the firmware update.

Lumix S5IIX v1.1
Improved performance
- Improved image quality when shooting with V-log.
- Improved compatibility with some SD cards.
- Improved operational stability.

See:
https://www.panasonic.
com/global/consumer/lumix/s/firmware_update.html
or
https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.
com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

"

16 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I wonder what that entails?

Ha ha! Nobody knows yet. Colours are the same. The red clipping problem is different, but not gone. Shadow banding remains.

Interestingly, that shot was with a Canon 70-200 f4 with Sigma Mc21. So with the new firmware maybe the camera can now do chromatic aberration correction with other lenses.

It would have been a bit easier if they just told us what they did 😂

I was looking at MPB just now, looking for lenses for my S5, and boy has the selection declined in the last couple months. There used to be plenty copies of every lens but now they don't have certain lenses at all or just one or two. 

I suspect it's a sign that the S5ii and S5iiX have done well and caused people to go out and buy a lot of lenses. 

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I was looking at MPB just now, looking for lenses for my S5, and boy has the selection declined in the last couple months. There used to be plenty copies of every lens but now they don't have certain lenses at all or just one or two. 

I suspect it's a sign that the S5ii and S5iiX have done well and caused people to go out and buy a lot of lenses. 

The few YT camera hipsters I've seen review it had positive things to say...

TL;DR:

• Stabilisation - "gone are the days of needing a gimbal"
  • Colours and DR - "Super easy to handle" "easy to colour grade and get a nice aesthetic" (buy my LUT pack)
  • AF - "GH5 was terrible" "S5 is so reliable" "it sticks onto him the whole time" "the AF is unbelievable"
  • SSD recording - "prores is easy to work with" "speed up your workflow"
  • "This is one of the sexiest looking cameras out there"

"I would highly recommend checking it out".

46 minutes ago, kye said:

"the AF is unbelievable"

With the caveat, discussed here in some detail but mostly missed/ignored by YouTubers, that the human detect and face detect AF is problematic (randomly jumps from person to person and can't lock on to one person) when there are two or more people in frame.

But for repeatedly running towards and away from the camera in your own back garden, it's unbelievably good 😂

3 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

With the caveat, discussed here in some detail but mostly missed/ignored by YouTubers, that the human detect and face detect AF is problematic (randomly jumps from person to person and can't lock on to one person) when there are two or more people in frame.

But for repeatedly running towards and away from the camera in your own back garden, it's unbelievably good 😂

Yeah, that guy isn't the most thorough reviewer, but of course he's probably a better barometer of what the YT Camera Bros think of it than someone like Gerald.

It doesn’t ‘replace’ a gimbal but can replace a gimbal in certain scenarios.

I’m not much of a gimbal kind of guy anyway but still going to be using mine in certain situations where it is quantifiable better such as when you are moving yourself.

It can certainly replace a tripod for certain shots with IS boost, but that's been true of Panasonic cameras for a while now. With some added post stabilisation you can get a perfectly locked off shot, and I have made use of this from time to time when I have some B roll that was shot handheld but would look better static.

5 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Yeah, the jumping from person to person is weird seeing as you could lock on 1 with the S5 and S1. They need to fix that.

13 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

It can certainly replace a tripod for certain shots with IS boost, but that's been true of Panasonic cameras for a while now. With some added post stabilisation you can get a perfectly locked off shot, and I have made use of this from time to time when I have some B roll that was shot handheld but would look better static.

Also worth pointing out (and you may already know this) but the IS Boost mode does a spectacular job of shots with gradual movement.  I've used it to get buttery smooth pans before.  The feeling is kind of like moving through treacle, you have to pull the cameras image where you want it to go but it's super smooth.

Has anyone compared the FHD vs 4K? And see a major quality difference, I mainly shoot fhd 50fps. But now I am tempted to shoot 4K but a bit afraid of the crop at 50fps. So not sure if it's worth the trade off. 

(don't have the camera on me to test for myself this weekend).

sorry to trash the topic, but does anyone know if it is possible to show reC709 on top of shooting vlog. But just recording v-log without an external monitor. I have a shoot coming up, and I need to show the shots to the client, but he will tell me it's all flat, so could be helpfull If I could show him a REC709 on the S5II screen itself. But I don't seem to find it, REC709 log help is on, but I don't see a difference, so I guess its only hdmi out.