Dreamy&poetry like images with GH4 + Iscomorphot 8 1.5x + SLR Magic 35 T1.4 & Helios 40-2

Teemu

Earlier in anamorphic forum I asked advice for export options for my first anamorphic material shot with GH4. So here is the result from my shooting: 

After encoding to Vimeo, material looks a bit darker. Don't know why. Exported master file isn't as dark. Maybe it is because the h.264 encoding?

Please comment and share if you like, thanks! :)

I think it's gorgeous. I turned down the volume and played this to it ; 

Again, such eerie and beautiful footage. Great job!

Thanks for the comments!

It's always so exciting to see what happens with different music and sounds. It will have a whole different feeling and story going on with the music above.

Love the look! Btw you can compensate for the Vimeo darkening by lifting the overall mids of your master file by about 6% and then re-exporting.

Thanks Rungunshoot!

Oh, it's the Vimeo embedding / system that is darkening the image a bit? Have been thinking about that why it is like that. On my desktop files look okay but after upload I see that darkening. Thanks for the tip. Have to remember this in future.

Thanks Rungunshoot!

Oh, it's the Vimeo embedding / system that is darkening the image a bit? Have been thinking about that why it is like that. On my desktop files look okay but after upload I see that darkening. Thanks for the tip. Have to remember this in future.

Yes, Vimeo and Youtube mess with the gamma when re-encoding.  And they each do it slightly differently, so you just have to experiment a bit to find the gamma level that un-does the damage.

One thing you can do to preview different gamma levels is to play it back in VLC Player.  You can adjust gamma etc for your playback with their Video Filters tab.  More info:

https://wiki.videolan.org/Change_the_brightness_or_contrast_of_a_video/