Andrew Reid interview on Golden Hour Podcast AMA

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is the DSLR revolution finished?  If so, when did it finish?  Where are we now?

It seems to me like it started when ILCs with serviceable codecs became affordable by mere mortals.  Now we have cinema cameras shooting 4K60 and 1080p120 RAW (and more) for the same kind of money.  Is this the cinema camera revolution?

What is next?

Are there even any more revolutions to have? (considering that we have cameras as good as Hollywood did 10-years ago).

Hey Dave, would love to know, if Andrew has any insight about a free 10bit Vlog  update for the Lumix S1, since the S5 already has it, and if 4k60p is as well for the S1? Now this one was a bit profane, I know. Now on with more substantial stuff:

Would like to know If Andrew would be interested in shooting a shortfilm or musicvideos in Berlin?:) Also, has he ever considered teaching people in person about lenses, the vintage flavour of them, anamorphics and all his other tasty specialties? A lens nerdom parade would be awesome, live when corona will be tamed! cheers

6 hours ago, kye said:

Are there even any more revolutions to have? (considering that we have cameras as good as Hollywood did 10-years ago).

The Zoom F8 was a revolution for low/no budget indie filmmakers when it comes to the sound department, like the D90/GH1/5Dmk2 was for low/no budget indie DoPs. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Zoom F8 was a revolution for low/no budget indie filmmakers when it comes to the sound department, like the D90/GH1/5Dmk2 was for low/no budget indie DoPs. 

I've always been curious about this. I was hoping the 32-bit DAC on the LG smartphones is also used for recording limitless dynamic range audio recording, instead of only for only playback. Having a smart device recording 32-bit would be fantastic. Or having a recording the size of the Zoom H1/Tascam DR 10l would be great too. It could help make recording a lot more exciting. 

17 hours ago, Dave Maze said:

Hey guys! I’m about to interview our very own @Andrew Reidon my podcast Golden Hour! 

Reply with any questions you have for him and I’ll try to get them in the show!

His journey and how the whole GH1 and GH2 actually started the Low budget Indie Film movement (not the 5Dii, since it was pretty prohibitively priced for then).

Some of Andrew's GH2 videos actually drew me to pick up one myself (the 12800ISO hack was one of them). 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

I've always been curious about this. I was hoping the 32-bit DAC on the LG smartphones is also used for recording limitless dynamic range audio recording, instead of only for only playback. Having a smart device recording 32-bit would be fantastic. Or having a recording the size of the Zoom H1/Tascam DR 10l would be great too. It could help make recording a lot more exciting. 

32bit is not having a major widespread impact. I wouldn't call that "revolutionary".

But the Zoom F8? It brought pro level quality and feature sets waaaaaaaaay down into the sub $1K market. That's incredible

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

32bit is not having a major widespread impact. I wouldn't call that "revolutionary".

But the Zoom F8? It brought pro level quality and feature sets waaaaaaaaay down into the sub $1K market. That's incredible

Yes!

What this little machine can do was really unheard for the price point, and still is too much for too little. It even has automix that I know for certain that some pros use. I wouldn't, like I do not use AF on lenses - and I want to have full control, but the option is there.

38 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What this little machine can do was really unheard for the price point, and still is too much for too little.

Yes, years later the F8n (which is extremely similar to the original Zoom F8) is still unbeatable value for its price point! (the Sound Devices MixPre10T / MixPre10mk2 comes close, but at a higher price point)