Canon EOS R5/R6 user experience

ntblowz

34 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

So I am doing some reading up on R5/R6 again (that time again :p) and saw that v1.1.1 apparently improved some of the issues on the r6. 

I have a few questions,

So for 10bit, the cameras have to be in C-Log, right? Does C-Log have some weird limitations like on the EOS R, that you can't use certain modes such as aperture priority/shutter priority, or does that now work fine? 

The 4k crop on the r6 in 4k/60p mode, does it only apply to 60p mode? Are the other lower fps modes free from FF sensor crop or is it also slightly cropped? 

Also did anyone try to primarily use the r6 or r5 in aps-c mode instead of FF for video? I am curious how the overheating applies when in those sensor-cropped modes (if any overheating at all), and how the 4k (HQ on the R5?) looks. Wonder how EF-S glass would do on it, or maybe using a speed-booster 🤔

Then about the 1080p -- from what I read, there is no way to shoot 1080p @ 10-bit in either camera, also the 1080p is I think line-skipped and not so good? So probably going 4k and exporting to 1080p might be the better way here. Still don't fully understand the HDR PQ mode. Could you shoot in that internal and still export to rec709? Is 10bit HDR PQ still ok, or does it more compare to 8bit rec709? 

Also I completely forgot about this, but the eos r5/r6 still have the 30 minutes hard recording limit! How come I can't find this mentioned everywhere 🙀

I can only speak about the R5 as I don't have a R6 (I think there are to many limitations for video)

10 Bit CLog (apparently canon has promised to offer also CLog3 in a future firmware update, but I would count on it when I see it) does have one major limitation that Zebras are not available in CLog, other minors limitations: you cannot take a screengrab in the camera, starts at 400 ISO (is normal) but you can go down to 100 (loosing a bit DR). 

R5 crop mode does not overheats and yes you can mount an EF-S lens (you may have some vignetting with some lenses I think but I don't have any EF-S lens).  I did use a couple of times the crop mode to gain reach and deliver directly the file, normally I prefer to use 8k and punch in as you have more freedom. Speed-booster should work too. The Canon official one is not official supported on the R5.
But the 4k LQ is still very good so really not sure why people are making such a big fuss about it. Yes compared to 4K oversampled is less sharp but point me out another camera at any price that has the same sharpness as 4k oversampled on the R5.... not even the C500 II has the same sharpness...

1080p never used and I don't plan to use it so I have no idea

30min limitation is on all DSLR/Mirrorless of Canon, and yes this is a true cripple hammer for sure as the European tax does not exist anymore.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Found this chart here that has a comparison for the different modes (I think it's from Canon?) 

It looks like there is overheating after all in APS-C mode, just not when using the LQ mode, hmm.. 

Also seeing overheating in crop modes on the R6 is a bit surprising. It doesn't even list a mode that is free from overheating

canon-eos-r5-r6-video-recording-limits.jpg

4 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

Found this chart here that has a comparison for the different modes (I think it's from Canon?) 

It looks like there is overheating after all in APS-C mode, just not when using the LQ mode, hmm.. 

Also seeing overheating in crop modes on the R6 is a bit surprising. It doesn't even list a mode that is free from overheating

canon-eos-r5-r6-video-recording-limits.jpg

Not sure what you are reading? R5 does not overheats in 4k 30 LQ and 4k 30 APSC, there is no LQ in APSC..... The above table is correct. 

R6 is not surprising is there since day one..... 

15 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I thought you couldn’t have zebras and peaking at the same time? I haven’t heard about no zebras in clog mode. Bummer.

4 hours ago, richald said:

There are zebras in C-log, i use them everyday.  

My bad I had Zebra set at 100 and in Log mode it will not reach 100. Is in the manual. 95 works. The confusion comes that in RAW I disable Log so there I saw the Zebra but in 10bit Log on not. Stupid me.
I was really thinking why it would not work with Log.....

9 minutes ago, richald said:

Ahhh! I didn't know that, I just use them in 95 always. Btw how do u expose? I usually to the right, just before the whites clip in 95.  But maybe I'm doing it wrong.. I'm trying to avoid noise in the shadows 

In RAW mode you can expose to the right as there will be more noise on that mode. Or you can expose for your subject and then clean up the noise in post with a denoiser and gain a stop of DR.

For 4KHQ the noise is better controlled and stays up with the A7SIII up to 12800 I would say. Beyond that the A7SIII is the clear winner. So I would just expose for the subject in that mode and lift shadows no more than 2 stops of need be and denoise in post if it needs it. That’s just my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

In RAW mode you can expose to the right as there will be more noise on that mode. Or you can expose for your subject and then clean up the noise in post with a denoiser and gain a stop of DR.

For 4KHQ the noise is better controlled and stays up with the A7SIII up to 12800 I would say. Beyond that the A7SIII is the clear winner. So I would just expose for the subject in that mode and lift shadows no more than 2 stops of need be and denoise in post if it needs it. That’s just my opinion.

Are you shooting RAW with Log on (highlight protection)?
As with Log on you start at iso400 you need very strong ND on daylight if you want to use F1.4 lenses and I have the feeling that AF start to suffer a bit with such strong ND like 10 stop....
There is also more noise but then better highlights roll off but did not do an A/B test....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all - I've been using the R5 extensively on a variety of shoots the past couple of months and have absolutely loved it. The AF is spot-on, the HQ 4k modes are gorgeous, the user experience is amazing, the 120fps is the best I've used outside of the C300 III.

So far, I have had zero overheating issues. The timer in 4k HQ has gone down from 25-minutes to 20-minutes a couple of times, but have never had any issues. 

Just released last night is a music video I directed, shot, and edited. Outside of some tripod shots, I'd say 90% of the shoot was shot on the R5. Youtube compression sucks so there seems to be some artifacts, but they aren't present in the 4k ProRes export.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

Hey all - I've been using the R5 extensively on a variety of shoots the past couple of months and have absolutely loved it. The AF is spot-on, the HQ 4k modes are gorgeous, the user experience is amazing, the 120fps is the best I've used outside of the C300 III.

So far, I have had zero overheating issues. The timer in 4k HQ has gone down from 25-minutes to 20-minutes a couple of times, but have never had any issues. 

Just released last night is a music video I directed, shot, and edited. Outside of some tripod shots, I'd say 90% of the shoot was shot on the R5. Youtube compression sucks so there seems to be some artifacts, but they aren't present in the 4k ProRes export.

Enjoy!

Nice, what about post workflow? 

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Enjoy!

Pretty nice!  I haven't got overheating warning on me yet.

gorgeous footage and truly a voice that needs to be heard.

Not the homogenized drivel that seems to be the standard music fare these days ...

Reminiscent of Sean Rowe ... better sense of timing and swing.

Canon CPS has had my 1DX III for a month ... and are struggling to admit a problem with my specific camera ...

So looking at a replacement ...

On 12/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, docmoore said:

gorgeous footage and truly a voice that needs to be heard.

Not the homogenized drivel that seems to be the standard music fare these days ...

Reminiscent of Sean Rowe ... better sense of timing and swing.

Canon CPS has had my 1DX III for a month ... and are struggling to admit a problem with my specific camera ...

So looking at a replacement ...

Yes, Arlo's album "Die Midwestern" is excellent. Thanks for watching!

Maybe I am confused again 🤔

I could have sworn I read / heard somewhere that the R6 has a SIGNIFICANT crop when shooting 4K 60p (like 1.5X or something). But the chart posted a few posts up says you get 94% of the sensor width. Can anyone confirm??? 

And does anyone have any insight on the dynamic range (and low light performance) of the CLOG in the R6 compared to the VLOG of the Panasonic S1?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if i am asking questions with obvious answers. 🙏

7 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Maybe I am confused again 🤔

I could have sworn I read / heard somewhere that the R6 has a SIGNIFICANT crop when shooting 4K 60p (like 1.5X or something). But the chart posted a few posts up says you get 94% of the sensor width. Can anyone confirm??? 

And does anyone have any insight on the dynamic range (and low light performance) of the CLOG in the R6 compared to the VLOG of the Panasonic S1?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if i am asking questions with obvious answers. 🙏

Some YT tests of the R5 and R6 found the maximum under CLOG was 11 usable stops. The S1 if I remember rightly using the same parameters was 12.7 stops so a massive difference. The R5 does have the advantage of RAW and while there's actually less stops of usable DR, with noise reduction you'll almost certainly get more than you can out of CLOG although I haven't seen any tests investigating how much more.