Jump to content

RED KOMODO 6K | First Footage - WOW


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah did kinda like this footage, nothing mind blowing but looks like stup up from mirrorless and dslr's type camera's. And I did not like the first footage that was released of the komodo, the dynamic range looked kinda low at the first video's, but just also saw that comparision video with the pocket 6K and it has similar DR to the pocket 6K, highlight rolloff is nicer though so it might have a stop over the pocket 6K. 

Yeah, this looks closer to the Original BMPCC than the 6k. The colors and highlights are really smooth and nice.

Black Magic really misses out on a huge market by not selling accessories like RED does. That handle is awesome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand what rolling shutter is. Let me explain even more clearly.  If I pick up a camera and shake it while recording, I get motion in the footage because the camera is pointing in a differ

Got my hands on Red Komodo to test for a few days. I'm impressed. A few more images can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/HAWFShe  

I’m going to buy a Komodo. So I can come on here and tell the amateur hybrid camera video makers all about my thick colour, GS (yes! yes! YES!) and other juicy comments designed to reinforce my s

Posted Images

12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah did kinda like this footage, nothing mind blowing but looks like stup up from mirrorless and dslr's type camera's. And I did not like the first footage that was released of the komodo, the dynamic range looked kinda low at the first video's, but just also saw that comparision video with the pocket 6K and it has similar DR to the pocket 6K, highlight rolloff is nicer though so it might have a stop over the pocket 6K.  So this might have my interest again also. Waiting on some more comparison video's and actual commercials shot with it. 

it is a fake comparison of luts. the roll-off is applied in camera for the red. pure speculation on DR but global shutter has problems for DR so we will see. 

I am sure the Red will look nicer but it is also x5 more expensive if you add on all the accessories you need. 

Still we wait to see someone independent doing a proper test though to find out true flaws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, anonim said:

Several month ago I started first to prepare, and than first shooting days of one feature film - and because of working condition (moving quickly, travel abroad to and from Russia including its some wilder area), I decided to base everything on starter kit of 2 Pocket 4k (it was only cine-capable camera that, if something fail, could be buy and replaced quickly everywhere). 

I've taken a similar approach to my travels in having multiple setups as backups.  Considering that although my trips are holidays, they're similar in that we're away from major cities with electronics stores, we have tight schedules that aren't flexible, and I won't want to repeat the same one for lost footage so it's a now-or-never kind of thing.

I went through my whole setup looking for single points of failure and eliminating them.  I have multiples of every item and can, at a pinch, have anything fail and still continue shooting.  The only weakness of the setup was that my backup body wasn't that great.

Also, because I had backups of everything I essentially have duplicate setups, and so can film things from multiple angles if I choose to.

7 hours ago, Super8 said:

The Komodo global shutter eliminates the need for IBIS.

I disagree.  IBIS can reduce and even eliminate hand-shake to create smoother and even locked-off shots, whereas global shutter means that whatever movement is there isn't removed, it's just far less objectionable.  Also, IBIS on wide lenses can combine with lens distortion and RS to create wobbling that global shutter does not introduce.

So IBIS and GS both have strengths and weaknesses, but aren't equivalent.  They're different tools for different jobs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

I disagree.  IBIS can reduce and even eliminate hand-shake to create smoother and even locked-off shots, whereas global shutter means that whatever movement is there isn't removed, it's just far less objectionable.  Also, IBIS on wide lenses can combine with lens distortion and RS to create wobbling that global shutter does not introduce.

So IBIS and GS both have strengths and weaknesses, but aren't equivalent.  They're different tools for different jobs.

GS gives you locked off shots if you are steady, but even if there is motion it is much more organic and pleasing - yes the motion is like film. Ibis is unpredictable and you cannot rely on it for sure 100%. I know with my GS camera, the way the image looks when moved craps all over anything with ibis. It is pleasing and smooth whether i pan, walk, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

it is a fake comparison of luts. the roll-off is applied in camera for the red. pure speculation on DR but global shutter has problems for DR so we will see. 

I am sure the Red will look nicer but it is also x5 more expensive if you add on all the accessories you need. 

Still we wait to see someone independent doing a proper test though to find out true flaws.

DR is in the clips and perfectly fine.  I think he mentions it in the video.

What do your eyes see in the video?  Global shutter does what it's suppose to do. Clean color and not heavily graded. 

I'm not sure why people make back handed comments when footage is posted that 99% agree looks good.   Color, DR, motion cadence and no rolling shutter.  

 

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Global shutter is cool but as long as the RS isn't too bad I'd rather have high ISO performance and dynamic range. 

We don't know what ISO performance this has do we?   Global shutter is rather new to most of you but you can tell the difference right away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

GS gives you locked off shots if you are steady, but even if there is motion it is much more organic and pleasing - yes the motion is like film. Ibis is unpredictable and you cannot rely on it for sure 100%. I know with my GS camera, the way the image looks when moved craps all over anything with ibis. It is pleasing and smooth whether i pan, walk, etc. 

What GS camera do you have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Super8 said:

We don't know what ISO performance this has do we?   Global shutter is rather new to most of you but you can tell the difference right away. 

I've seen a clip at 12,800 iso it had bad fixed noise pattern. Kinda like what I see from the URSA 4.6K. Need to see more reasonable tests at 3200 and 6400. But its not a good sign. 

Will need to see some actual dynamic range tests but at $6000 it better give more than say the Pocket 6k at $2000. 

That's just me though. I use to obsess over rolling shutter but as long as its reasonable I don't really notice unless for very specific shots. 

If the AF is really good that will be a big deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

I disagree.  IBIS can reduce and even eliminate hand-shake to create smoother and even locked-off shots, whereas global shutter means that whatever movement is there isn't removed, it's just far less objectionable.  Also, IBIS on wide lenses can combine with lens distortion and RS to create wobbling that global shutter does not introduce.

So IBIS and GS both have strengths and weaknesses, but aren't equivalent.  They're different tools for different jobs.

GS is not the same as IBIS.

Global shutter is a complete scan of the sensor where a rolling shutter is a partial scan of the sensor.  

Rolling Shutter affects all movement in my opinion.  We film and live in a 3D parallax world. 

I use a Ronin S because IBIS can only do so much. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I've seen a clip at 12,800 iso it had bad fixed noise pattern. Kinda like what I see from the URSA 4.6K. Need to see more reasonable tests at 3200 and 6400. But its not a good sign. 

Will need to see some actual dynamic range tests but at $6000 it better give more than say the Pocket 6k at $2000. 

That's just me though. I use to obsess over rolling shutter but as long as its reasonable I don't really notice unless for very specific shots. 

If the AF is really good that will be a big deal. 

Here's a low light comparison.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Kind of useless in HD. 
 

 

Did you really take a screen shot from you tube at HD?

I'm not going to get into debating that mirrorless cameras have better low-light capabilities.  If you can't see the advantages of this camera then mirrorless is the way to go for you.

It might also help to read the comments from the guy that created that video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Super8 said:

Did you really take a screen shot from you tube at HD?

What are you talking about? The video you linked was posted in 1080p. The compression is so bad you can't tell what the ISO performance is. 


 Again dynamic range and ISO tests haven't really been done to see what kind of sensor this camera has. But yes I'd rather have a Pocket 6k if it gives more dynamic range and better ISO performance or an S1H with prores RAW. 

 

3 minutes ago, Coiii said:

2K is mostly for high speed recording. Also, why would you use this camera to shoot 24p HD? This is a 6K Raw cinema camera...

The video of the plane was shot in 6k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Did you really take a screen shot from you tube at HD?

I'm not going to get into debating that mirrorless cameras have better low-light capabilities.  If you can't see the advantages of this camera then mirrorless is the way to go for you.

It might also help to read the comments from the guy that created that video.

I'm on the same boat. I was waiting months for the R5 and Canon fucked up. Then the A7SIII happened and the ONLY thing I was expecting didn't happened (cinetone). I'm done and tired of this game. I just sold my BMPCC4K  kit a few days ago and thinking to do the same with my Sony A7III kit and stuff. Just keeping my Canon L glass and save a little more for the Komodo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...