Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Highly contradictory reviews on EOS R6 overheating limitation

Recommended Posts

I tried to edit my comment, but some glitch happened and it didn't allow me to post it.

Gerald clarifies that his 3 hours comment is just rubbish. His camera shut down after 1 hour and 14 mins, even though he wasn't recording anything.

https://twitter.com/GeraldUndone/status/1286422353107464192

Also the quality different between regular 4k and HQ is Enormous. 

 

EdvYU_9WsAAn-zr.png

EdvYVAFWAAEl2O7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course an 8.2K oversampled 4K IQ is going to be vastly superior to a non oversampled pixel binned 4K IQ. That's why it's called HQ lol..

At least there is a 4K HQ mode, unlike the A7S3's non oversampled 4K. A comparison in between those two will be interesting.

As for the overheating, what I would really like to get confirmation is if when overheating warning is turned on, can you switch to regular 4K without the camera ever bricking.

Also still no serious RS tests...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here we have some much higher quality and more useful information from Gerald.

The external recorder situation is as follows:

Let's give guys like this their due and not reward the wannabe filmmakers.

I love how precise and technical this guy is. He tells the truth, after conducting good tests, and ends up with some numbers that speaks to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much as I'd love my forum to become a one way discussion between social media influencer self promotors and camera nerds, it ain't going to happen. Sorry to disappoint! @Django

If it is famous names you want, if somebody like Roger Deakins joined he would actually deserve respect.

Why don't you invite some more actual filmmakers on the forum to chat with, rather than falling in love with an ex-store sales rep?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, abehalpert said:

Maybe you are right but it seems optimistic. I want a workhorse not a show pony. I sold my S1 to get something with AF and no-crop 4k60p but that camera was beautifully bulletproof. It just got out of my way and I didn't ever have to worry about it

I feel the same way. I use my S1H daily for professional use and I never worry about overheating or weather conditions, it's that reliabel. i shoot mainly corporate and interview that sometimes go over 35mn per take and I've never ever had any annoyance with it. The only drawback to me is the AF for video, I'd love to have good continuous AF in some situations. And I really am looking closely to the new Canon bodies as well as the Sony A7SIII, but for now, from what I see from the Canon cameras, I think I would regret to switch from my S1H. It I get the good AF I want but end up with overheating problems or unreliability in general, that won't work for me. 
For now , until more tests come our way, I think I may keep the S1H or switch back to Sony if the A7SIII is as good as it seems . 

So you kind of regret selling your S1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for my perfect camera for short docs and run&gun (reports):

Canon R6: overheating

Panasonic S1H: bad autofocus (same with GH5S)

BMPCC 4k/6k: bad autofocus, no IBIS

Fuji X-T4: overheat, no video lens (AF)

Sony A7 III: Do I really want to buy this one in 2020? (no 4k 60fps, no face detection in 4k, I'm not a slog fan)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

I love how precise and technical this guy is. He tells the truth, after conducting good tests, and ends up with some numbers that speaks to us. 

Yes this guy knows his stuff and is one to follow as he continues his tests (he's running an R6 through tests next week) as opposed to the guy that just says 'It's awful, I'm a film maker so you better believe me damn it! '. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Django said:

Of course an 8.2K oversampled 4K IQ is going to be vastly superior to a non oversampled pixel binned 4K IQ. That's why it's called HQ lol..

Have you actually compared the 8.2K oversampled 4K to any of the other oversampling cameras, such as the Fuji X-T4, Panasonic S1H, Panasonic S1, Sony A9 A7 III etc.?

These already look perfect even on a chart.

Oversampling from a 6K sensor or oversampling from 8K, there is not a huge difference.

In fact the Canon EOS R5 image may even be a bit softer looking in C-LOG.

1 hour ago, Django said:

At least there is a 4K HQ mode, unlike the A7S3's non oversampled 4K.

Have you actually compared the original A7S II 4K output on a chart to the EOS R5 4K HQ mode?

No, didn't think so.

But apparently the gap is huge! 😂

1 hour ago, Django said:

A comparison in between those two will be interesting.

As for the overheating, what I would really like to get confirmation is if when overheating warning is turned on, can you switch to regular 4K without the camera ever bricking.

Why the hell would you spend $4k on a camera to shoot 2014-standard pixel binned mushy 4K?!

1 hour ago, Django said:

Also still no serious RS tests...

That's because it's atrocious, and it's the reason there were no serious 1D X III rolling shutter tests. Canon is the one handing out the cameras to those they have personal friendships with via PR people. Do you really think any of them have the balls to go for the jugular over 32ms+ rolling shutter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoberus said:

Still waiting for my perfect camera for short docs and run&gun (reports):

Canon R6: overheating

Panasonic S1H: bad autofocus (same with GH5S)

BMPCC 4k/6k: bad autofocus, no IBIS

Fuji X-T4: overheat, no video lens (AF)

Sony A7 III: Do I really want to buy this one in 2020? (no 4k 60fps, no face detection in 4k, I'm not a slog fan)

Sony A7SIII should serve you well as far as latest rumors are correct. It has S-Cinetone curve that should help you if you don't like S-Log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Sony A7SIII should serve you well as far as latest rumors are correct. It has S-Cinetone curve that should help you if you don't like S-Log.

Yeah, but I still have to wait for the price. That's a lot of money...

In the end, the story is most important to me, good white balance and focus. Sure, personally I want 4k videos, but I'm not sure how many consumers demand it and actually see the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, phoberus said:

Yeah, but I still have to wait for the price. That's a lot of money...

I think it will cost as much as the S1H according to th latest rumors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nezza said:

4000 euros. Too much if the specs are correct.

I personnally hope for 3500 euros. 4000 is the same price of the S1H, but this one shoots 6k, doubles the resolution for really good stills and so is a real stills/video hybrid  camera.  To me the 3500 euros price tag would have been very nice. 4000 euros yes it's a bit much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Much as I'd love my forum to become a one way discussion between social media influencer self promotors and camera nerds, it ain't going to happen. Sorry to disappoint! @Django

If it is famous names you want, if somebody like Roger Deakins joined he would actually deserve respect.

Why don't you invite some more actual filmmakers on the forum to chat with, rather than falling in love with an ex-store sales rep?

We had one that contributed to the forum, he shared a ton of great information and got zero respect from users here so left. 

 

Just watched Behrini's video and I think he did a good job of confirming what I already knew. Out in the real world, this camera is useless for video. At least he produced a real world video...Peter Mckinnon zoomed around on quad bikes........as a motorcyclist myself, when you are moving out in the open at 40+kph , the wind chill factor really helps keep things cool!!No wonder his camera didn't overheat, it had constant airflow!

 While Gerald may have given some run times, did he say if these run times where on a tripod or in the hand? Judging by most users here,  people who want a camera with IBIS and AF are wanting a camera that they can use in the hand, nun n gun and to be inconspicuous. I think the camera in the hand will overheat faster than on a tripod. 

No-one has given the perfect review yet but at least Johnny did a good job of providing real world information and a finished product that gave the viewer a rough idea of how he used the camera. 

One thing I do find interesting is that people are more willing to make do with overheating vs poor battery life. As an example, The Pocket4K on release had (and still has!) poor battery life. But, after 45mins I can put in a fresh battery and keep shooting. The uproar from many forum members was way over the top and suggested that the camera was useless.

Now, imagine if your cameras battery died after 30mins but........you couldn't put a new battery in for at least 20mins and even then, the new battery was only going to last 3-4mins of shooting. THIS is what we are pretty much seeing in the R5/6. This is reason to get angry! Who want's a camera that could decide to shut down at ANY given moment and then can't be revived for 20+mins? 

Basically, for video, it's not fit for purpose.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Much as I'd love my forum to become a one way discussion between social media influencer self promotors and camera nerds, it ain't going to happen. Sorry to disappoint! @Django

If it is famous names you want, if somebody like Roger Deakins joined he would actually deserve respect.

Why don't you invite some more actual filmmakers on the forum to chat with, rather than falling in love with an ex-store sales rep?

You’re reading waaaay too much into my comment Andrew. I didn’t mean to take “sides” with Drake.. was just clearing up the confusion that other members may have had concerning his on going présence here. I personally couldn’t care less either way lol..

I will try and do my best to not refer to any of your “foes” in the future though as it clearly seems to get you triggered..?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the changing reactions of canon shooters as more and more info comes out about these cameras:

1. denial

2. anger

3. bargaining

4. depression

5. acceptance.

Come over to stage 5 guys, it's ok. It is inexcusable to have a camera overheat at 4k30p. Don't care if Sony had it in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A_Urquhart said:

No-one has given the perfect review yet but at least Johnny did a good job of providing real world information and a finished product that gave the viewer a rough idea of how he used the camera.

Except that isn't true.

Didn't provide real world shooting times, not even rough estimates.

Didn't talk about a real world shooting schedule, in terms of the amount of time the shoot lasted during the day.

Didn't mention the average length of a take.

Didn't say at what point during the shoot the overheating trouble began.

Didn't estimate the resting gaps in-between. Or whether the camera even remained turned on during this time.

Didn't say whether the indoor scenes had a lower temp than 28 degrees, due to air con, or other factors.

Did not say when the ice pack was applied, how long for roughly, or whether lower ambient temps even made a difference - seems they didn't.

But yes, praise away the "great job of providing real world information"!

4 minutes ago, Django said:

You’re reading waaaay too much into my comment Andrew. I didn’t mean to take “sides” with Drake.. was just clearing up the confusion that other members may have had concerning his on going présence here. I personally couldn’t care less either way lol..

I will try and do my best to not refer to any of your “foes” in the future though as it clearly seems to get you triggered..?!

Not reading too much into it at all. Final warning. Agitate me again and you can go and use the DPReview Video forums instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

5. acceptance.

Come over to stage 5 guys, it's ok. It is inexcusable to have a camera overheat at 4k30p. Don't care if Sony had it in the past. 

That'll be the day. Most haven't even got past the denial stage!

Sony's overheating was largely to do with the A6300. The A7S II was fine and has been a workhorse for videographers.

The A6300 was one quarter of the price of the EOS R5 and very much a mid-range consumer point & shoot / slash enthusiast camera at a stretch.

But the Canon EOS R5 is a $4000 professional tool. The A6300 wasn't exactly let off the hook, especially by me. It received a ton of criticism and rightly so, even thought it cost so much less than a professional camera that needs to be bullet proof reliable.

I think Canon have made a catastrophic decision, and it will haunt them for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...