Inexpensive B Cam for a Panasonic S1?

Esteban

Let's suppose I spent nearly all of my budget on a Panasonic S1 Camera and the 24-105 f/4 lens, but I still need a B cam for interviews / talking head stuff. It would mostly be on sticks or a slider.

Since money IS an object - an object that I don't have a lot of right now - I would probably use some manual lenses on it or something inexpensive.

Would a GH4 be good? Someone locally is selling one for $250.

I understand that the VLOG update is $99 for a GH4, but then it is only 8-bit, right? 

Will it be tough to match 8-bit VLOG with the 10-bit VLOG of an S1?

Would I have to shoot both cameras in something like Cine D or Cine V or a different profile in order to match them?

Is there an inexpensive speedbooster that would work with manual lenses like Canon FD, Minolta MD, or Pentax / Takumar lenses?

Or maybe go for something like a Tamron or Sigma ASP-C 17-50 f/2.8 lens? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The S1 to the GH4 is too big of a jump IMO. Panasonic has tweaked their color science substantially since 2014 and pairing the two would be more of a headache than it's worth. The G85 will get you much closer, but really I would try to spring for a GH5. The 10 bit will be a huge help for you. If that's too much, then consider a used original Blackmagic Pocket. HD only, but it's great HD.

Remember, when matching cameras you often have to match the best image to the inferior one. Don't cripple your S1 - get something that can almost replicate it. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

When I say cheap, I mean CHEAP!!! Like under $500 cheap.

I looked on the site that starts with the name Fred and people sell a lot of their camera gear. It looks like a G9 starts about $800 or so, and a GH5 is about $1000 or so. If I have to pay another $100 for v log and then have to pay several hundred dollars for a speedbooster, it might make more sense just to get another used S1 since they sell for about $1700 with the VLOG upgrade.

At least that is where my thinking is taking me.

I think you'd be able to get pretty close with the GH4 if you use a color checker and are willing to put in time. The GH5 or a G9 is probably your best bet though, since it'll give you better flexibility and the colors are closer. Maybe even a G85? It matches wonderfully with the GH5, so it might be able to match the S1? 

If you use a color checker you'll be able to get most modern cameras to match enough with a little time and effort. It's quite easy in Resolve, for instance. 

What about something like the Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5K in EF mount? They seem to go for around the $550 mark. 

How hard is it to use Cinema DNG in Resolve? I don't have a great computer (i7-6770 with 24 gigs or RAM) but I have a decent graphics card RTX 2060 with 8GB of VRAM.

I heard that the BM cinema cameras are kind of a pain but if I am primarily going to use it on a tripod at a more or less stationary object and let it roll would that be ok?

Maybe the M43 mount is better than the EF mount for adapting lenses though? 

22 hours ago, Esteban said:

Let's suppose I spent nearly all of my budget on a Panasonic S1 Camera and the 24-105 f/4 lens, but I still need a B cam for interviews / talking head stuff. It would mostly be on sticks or a slider.

Don't buy a S1 then, buy 2x secondhand GH5 instead. 

As it sounds like you don't have the budget for a new S1. And the GH5 is still one of the best there is. 

22 hours ago, Esteban said:

Would a GH4 be good? Someone locally is selling one for $250.

Spend a hundred bucks more and get the Panasonic G85 instead. 

The GH5 with the Sigma 18-35mm/Speedboster combo or the new 10-25mm f1.7 is a killer set up even in 2020. 

Not to say the S1 isn't awesome. I wanted to pull the trigger myself after using one, but at the end of the day the GH5 was more than adequate. 

Heck the local production house my friend works at is still rocking GH4s! 

No answer regards the camera but I would go for old FF manual focus lenses on a no budget budget as they can fit both cameras regardless of sensor size.     Focal reducers are not free so there is some cost (not sure what prices are like for you).    There are some cheapish brands on Ebay though maybe not for the FF Pana yet (REAL speedboosters ...a brand name, are quite expensive).     There ARE some that are almost free but that is because they are terrible (Light Cannon was originally a focal reducer for M43 and maybe others but ended up being sold as "soft focus adapters" and even given away free with other products).

1 minute ago, deezid said:

I would save for another S1 honestly.
Even the jump in terms of color science and dynamic range between the GH5 and S1 is quite remarkable.

Yeah, that's certainly true (not to take anything away from the GH5 though).

The other thing is I don't want to have to buy (and carry around) two sets of lenses: one for FF and one for M43. I understand that using two different sensor sizes allows a single full frame lens to effectively become two different focal lengths depending on to which camera it is mounted, but I am not sure how much of a benefit that is.

And if I add the cost of a decent speedbooster, it isn't all that much cheaper than a used S1 (going about $1700 with VLOG upgrade).

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

You don't need a speedbooster for the GH5. You should be able to find one or a G9 under $1000. But yeah you can match any camera if you use a color checker. 

I understand what you are saying, but I think I would probably WANT a speedbooster on a GH5... but then again, not sure.

On the other hand...

The original plan was that I would just put the B Cam on sticks and let it roll during interviews / corporate work / events. But I have an unruly teenage son and so now the misses wants me to start taking him along on gigs too so that he doesn't end up working in a gas station. I think he would be much more comfortable with a GH5 / G9 than with an S1 with heavy metal lenses on it.