Camera owning plans 2020

thebrothersthre3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I don't think you'd need V-mounts. Plus you'd not need a metabones either, the C200 is S35 as well. Metabones is just a bonus option that the C200 doesn't even have.

V-mounts are certainly nice to have on a professional shoot. It's nice being able to swap long-lasting batteries between cameras, lights, and mixers.

Metabones was more related to the E2, you're correct I wouldn't need it for the S35 version though.

9 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I've been intrigued by the Z-cams too - mainly the S35 version. But by the time I price up a full build (including ND's, a sound solution, metabones, etc) it starts to cost the same as a C200/EVA1 anyway.

What are your plans for sound with the Z-Cam, and how would you mount V-lock batteries? I've seen some teasers for an integrated mount but not sure if it's made it to market yet.

Since I do 1 man band stuff mostly, I really like the idea of staying small with m 4/3 cameras/lenses. And since 99% of my stuff is indoor, NDs are not as much of an issue for me. I can always screw one on if needed. But I too have looked at that S6 version. And like you, once you do the build up it gets a bit too expensive for me. Like I mentioned, I think I'd rather have multiple small cameras,

I don't think the internal sound preamps are great. I've heard issues. The Wooden Camera A box Plus (which isn't out yet), seems like the best solution.  Its like a little juicedlink box. But depending on the price, original Mix Pre3 used on Ebay is about $400. That would work as well under the camera. 

I would almost never use V Mount batteries for shoot, only if I'm doing a bigger shoot with an ad agency and I wanted to build up the camera to make it look like a mini RED or something to impress. 3+ hours on an NPF battery off Amazon for $25 seems pretty great. But there are V mount solutions. Tilta made one but isn't released, but there is a mounting plate from a chinese company Nitze for $150 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Nitze-Universal-Gold-Mount-Adapter/dp/B082PF2NKP/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IHT0SRHS6EU1&keywords=nitze+z+cam&qid=1582723142&sprefix=z+cam+nitz%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-1

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

While an FS7 is going for a thousand bucks cheaper than that! 

Rather have a FS7, greater demand for  that, and more versatile. 

Yes, I''ve seen heavily used FS7 drop below 3k. Its starting to get pretty tempting. I think the Z Cam E2 image is better despite being a smaller sensor, but that is still a very in demand/versatile camera. My hope was that they would bring the costs of C300 mkII down (my dream 2nd hand camera). Sadly that camera is still around 6k used.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:35 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I do wonder what will happen to the dynamic on there if the Komodo is anywhere near the top end of the prosumer price bracket.

As RED found with the Hydrogen, a lot less slack will be given by those customers for issues than has been the case with their more forgiving base.

It's an odd forum with a ton of information to be had. But I also read a couple of veiled threats regarding forum membership and Red camera ownership.

With that said, I think Netflix's requirements, for their original programming, partially inflated Red's value. Add the filmmakers that are willing to pay to be part of the club, Red was able to price their cameras accordingly. However, with the rise of Blackmagic, Kinefinity and Z-Cam, over the past few years, Red's business model doesn't seem sustainable.

Add the Hydrogen debacle and the whole RedMag thing, I think they may have to come in at, or damn close, to their suggested price. 

Don't you have a Red One?

• Super Members
4 hours ago, mercer said:

Don't you have a Red One?

Yes, I was one of the original $1000 NAB speculators.

The whole place was getting weird even before that one shipped let alone the rest of them.

Oakley sold aspirant lifestyle via the medium of sunglasses and there was a certain element of that carried over into the RED in my opinion.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, I was one of the original $1000 NAB speculators.

The whole place was getting weird even before that one shipped let alone the rest of them.

OH... I just figured you bought a used one within the past couple years... I didn't realize you were the OG Red One. 

So you're very familiar with Red and their products then.

How did you... do you like the Red One?

It's a club like any other. And when that club is elite...

The same thing is happening with BM.

Whenever people start referring to a personality they don't know, on a first name basis... there's a bit of a cult of personality involved. 

• Super Members
11 hours ago, mercer said:

OH... I just figured you bought a used one within the past couple years... I didn't realize you were the OG Red One. 

So you're very familiar with Red and their products then.

How did you... do you like the Red One?

At the time, it blew me away and truth be told if I dug it out again now it probably still would.

The criminal lack of use it has had is a long boring story and I now don't live in the same country where it is in long term storage so I can't imagine that will change any time soon!

Its ironic that RED named their phone after the lightest element because God knows they built the RED ONE case out of some yet to be declassified alien type of heavy element.

Thats one aspect that kills it for a great many people that could really benefit from how cheap you can get a used setup for now as its not something you can just pick up (literally and figuratively) and go out shooting with on a whim really.

It's a club like any other. And when that club is elite...

The same thing is happening with BM.

I think pride in ownership and sharing common ground and knowledge with other users of the same product/brand, whether its cameras or cars, was always OK in principle but the internet has warped the fuck out of it really.

Or maybe just fully exposed the undertones that have always been inherent in it !

Whenever people start referring to a personality they don't know, on a first name basis... there's a bit of a cult of personality involved. 

I think Apple was the template for that.

And I always blamed Steve for that ;) 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:16 AM, barefoot_dp said:

V-mounts are certainly nice to have on a professional shoot. It's nice being able to swap long-lasting batteries between cameras, lights, and mixers.

Metabones was more related to the E2, you're correct I wouldn't need it for the S35 version though.

Yeah I get that though slapping a vmount on kind of kills the small camera vibe you get buying an E2. Some vmount batteries are probably almost as big as the camera itself lol. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, FreshGiant said:

Yes, I''ve seen heavily used FS7 drop below 3k. Its starting to get pretty tempting. I think the Z Cam E2 image is better despite being a smaller sensor, but that is still a very in demand/versatile camera. My hope was that they would bring the costs of C300 mkII down (my dream 2nd hand camera). Sadly that camera is still around 6k used.

The FS7 is really nice, built in ND's, high dynamic range Slog and 10bit up to 4k 60p. (HD 240fps I believe?) 

On 2/26/2020 at 1:46 AM, IronFilm said:

While an FS7 is going for a thousand bucks cheaper than that! 

Rather have a FS7, greater demand for  that, and more versatile. 

True but that Canon color science and RAW though. 

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I get that though slapping a vmount on kind of kills the small camera vibe you get buying an E2. Some vmount batteries are probably almost as big as the camera itself lol.

Not everyone wants/needs the small camera vibe though. For a lot of stuff, a bit of weight helps as it gives smoother footage. I'd much rather have the convenience of one battery powering the camera, monitor FF and TX at the same time.

Obviously others feel the same as there was a prototype of an integrated mount floating around, I just can't remember who made it so don't know if it ever came to market.

1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

Not everyone wants/needs the small camera vibe though. For a lot of stuff, a bit of weight helps as it gives smoother footage. I'd much rather have the convenience of one battery powering the camera, monitor FF and TX at the same time.

Obviously others feel the same as there was a prototype of an integrated mount floating around, I just can't remember who made it so don't know if it ever came to market.

Yeah at that point I'd rather have something designed to take a V mount battery, but the Z-cams are versatile enough where you can kind of rig it up nicely regardless. 

18 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

True but that Canon color science and RAW though. 

I reckon users/Sony have worked on it a lot to improve the FS7 colors if you dig into and see what they've got up to. (over on the dxuser forums, and xdcam-users.com)

5 minutes ago, heart0less said:

So, what are your plans now? 

Will you buy it again, this time with the mount of your choice or save some money and go Pro? 

Or just let the whole Ursa Mini idea go and pick something different altogether? 

I’m currently trying to construct a mount for it. There is more than enough room for one once you remove the PL mount. Really odd they didn’t make it interchangeable. I’d like to get the pro version but it’s a good deal more that I don’t have lol. I also like the big 5 inch screen on mine. We'll see. 

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Next BMD Pocket, FF or actual crop 6K, as well, X-T4 very likely, without mention Osmo Pocket next or actual generation not yet purchased, Mi 10 Pro... yes, a phone cam ; ) Here's mine : -)

Nice! 

Are you gearing up for some upcoming work?