Jump to content
EthanAlexander

Metabones EF to RF Speedbooster! Komodo and EOS R suddenly looking pretty good?

Recommended Posts

Trust me I'm no fan of RED the company but a phase-detect, global shutter, reasonably priced, compressed raw, non-proprietary storage, compact camera that with the metabones is FF equivalent? Yes please! Obviously it's early and we don't know the full story but this has me interested. And the EOS R could at least be a reasonable idea now... JK ? but I can't wait to see this on the RED.

https://metabones.com/article/of/Introduces_Canon_EF_to_EOS_R_SpeedBooster

And for some reason it's the cheapest speed booster (at least compared to the popular EF-E and EF-MFT versions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Trust me I'm no fan of RED the company but a phase-detect, global shutter, reasonably priced, compressed raw, non-proprietary storage, compact camera that with the metabones is FF equivalent? Yes please! Obviously it's early and we don't know the full story but this has me interested. And the EOS R could at least be a reasonable idea now... JK ? but I can't wait to see this on the RED.

https://metabones.com/article/of/Introduces_Canon_EF_to_EOS_R_SpeedBooster

And for some reason it's the cheapest speed booster (at least compared to the popular EF-E and EF-MFT versions).

Ordered! Can't believe they did it! Incredible. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rawshooter said:

EF lenses adapted with the Speedboster to the RED Komodo will vignette (because the Komodo's sensor is significantly larger than APS-C).

How much bigger? a speed booster should have a slightly wider image circle to work with than just S35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jonathan422 said:

How much bigger? a speed booster should have a slightly wider image circle to work with than just S35

So @rawshooter's right it's def larger. "27.03 x 14.25mm (30.56mm image circle)" 

It's only a ~2.5mm wider circle than Sony aps-c so maybe the speed booster will still cover it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kye said:

If vignetting is a concern then maybe there's a non-SB adapter available?

Wellcome to the nonSB world.

 

There are allready three of them. 

One simple for 99$

One with programmable control ring for 199%

One with drop in filters for 399$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nathlas said:

Wellcome to the nonSB world.

 

There are allready three of them. 

One simple for 99$

One with programmable control ring for 199%

One with drop in filters for 399$

Well, as a MFT user I can happily report that I own quite a number of non-SB adapters...  and that they're all significantly cheaper than those!!

But not to lessen the importance of these options - the Komodo sure looks like an interesting and capable beast so adapters are where it's at.

Personally I'd be looking to adapt older fully manual glass as I find the full manual controls really immediate and also the value for money on FD, MD, and M42 glass much higher than with the EF options, but flexibility is great to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in some testing with the FF HD mode. I remember hearing sometimes ago that some EF glasses has a bigger image circle than FF. Maybe in one of @Mattias Burling videos. 

If this is true you can have dual-pixel autofocus fast medium format glass. A man can dream ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This adapter is huge for Canon (and now Red). The fact that with this speedbooster you'll be able to shoot in 4k Redcode on Red Komodo with only a 1.3x crop or at 5k in full-frame is pretty incredible (or use the EOS R with only a slight 1.2x crop in 4k). 

The difference in image quality between Redcode Raw (I've used Helium and Gemini) compared to most of the standard FSx and A7 cameras from Sony or Panasonic S1H/GH5 or Canon EOS R or Cinema EOS under $10k is pretty darn dramatic still. The only thing that has come close is the Canon C200 Cinema Raw Lite but file sizes are astronomical compared to what you can get with Redcode. I'm sure someone will argue for Black Magic Raw, but I've had too many friends send theirs in for repair only to not have the problem fixed - they just have too many issues it seems.

Red Komodo at $6k will be a massive hit. And this speedbooster only helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Mine is coming in tomorrow! Gonna make a first look video for you guys. What do you want to see? 

I think autofocus performance will be pretty important to know ! The new fonction button would be pretty nice to see as-well !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Mine is coming in tomorrow! Gonna make a first look video for you guys. What do you want to see? 

Shooting on an EOS R, right? Please shoot a FF still and see how big the image circle is so we can find out if it will work on the larger Komodo sensor! 

It won't be exact, but if you just figure out how many pixels wide you could go with a 16x9 frame, and then divide 6720 by that number, it should give you the maximum size it will cover in terms of crop factor. So, fingers crossed it covers ~5200px on the EOS R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just check out Phil Holland's handy tools: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/

For example, at 6k full sensor the Komodo is 1.33x crop from standard full-frame: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/formatCompare.cgi?makeA=RED&modelA=Komodo+6K&formatA=6K+FF&makeB=Kodak&modelB=Film&formatB=FF35+Still+3%3A2&focalLengths=

And has a 1.6x crop at 5k full frame: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/formatCompare.cgi?makeA=RED&modelA=Komodo+6K&formatA=5K+FF&makeB=Kodak&modelB=Film&formatB=FF35+Still+3%3A2&focalLengths=

So, if you used the speedbooster at 5k full sensor on the Komodo, it would get prettty darn close to a full-frame FOV. Pretty sweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Just check out Phil Holland's handy tools: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/

For example, at 6k full sensor the Komodo is 1.33x crop from standard full-frame: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/formatCompare.cgi?makeA=RED&modelA=Komodo+6K&formatA=6K+FF&makeB=Kodak&modelB=Film&formatB=FF35+Still+3%3A2&focalLengths=

And has a 1.6x crop at 5k full frame: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/formatCompare.cgi?makeA=RED&modelA=Komodo+6K&formatA=5K+FF&makeB=Kodak&modelB=Film&formatB=FF35+Still+3%3A2&focalLengths=

So, if you used the speedbooster at 5k full sensor on the Komodo, it would get prettty darn close to a full-frame FOV. Pretty sweet. 

I'm not asking what the crop factor of the Komodo is, I'm asking to test the speed booster to see if it will cover the entire sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Speed Booster will cover the entire sensor, but most lenses (particularly zooms and wide-angle blenses) won't. They'd have to cover 39mm instead of 36mm horizontal sensor size when speedboosted. Even if lenses will cover this extended image circle without vignetting, you have expect bad resolution/blur at the edge of the frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Mine is coming in tomorrow! Gonna make a first look video for you guys. What do you want to see? 

Autofocus, autofocus, autofocus, especially in low light conditions please....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...