Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As I’ve said in another thread, I’m wanting to move away from the Nikon Z6 and Atomos Ninja V. I hate having to assemble a big heavy rig just to shoot log, and I don’t like the internal image. 

Contenders right now are the Panasonic S5, Sigma FP, and if budget doesn’t allow the former, the Fuji XT3. 

Do you feel image-wise, the XT3 could hold up well against the Panasonic S1 or S5, given I will use fast 1.4 Viltrox primes on the Fuji?

@FHDcrew S1 and S5 are IQ monsters. This thread and the S5 thread document that very well. XT3 is nice from what i see and read. But the S series is in another league. Latitude of internal codec is same as R5 in Raw, even slightly better, as tested by slashcam. Get a used S1 with the Vlog update, if full hdmi is important to you. Or get a S5, which has the awesome form factor of a GH5 and Vlog already preinstalled. Browsing the threads with some coffee or french fries will guarantee you a great entertaining read, as many of Eoshd threads do. I have my Eoshd eating and reading rituals all the time. Scrambled eggs with grilled tomatoes, hmm:)

And do not discount the S1R…

These are now exceptional value on the used market and the 10 bit 5k 25/30p internal flat profile footage is seriously underrated. As in just about nobody talks about it, because just about nobody uses it.

But as long as you don’t need to record for longer than 15 mins and don’t need slo mo (or if you do, the 4K 50p 8 bit is excellent), it produces beautiful image quality.

There is some kind of special sauce in that 47mp sensor only shared with the Leica SL2 and Q2.

I find the 4:3 5k mode of the S1r very attractive. It seems that is uses a 21.5mm x 16mm crop of the sensor. The few clips I've seen on YouTube look good. Am I correct that the S1r doesn't have V-log? Does this mean the dynamic range in video mode is limited relative to the S1 and S5? I wonder if there's any benefit to using an external recorder with the S1r. Do you use the HLG gamma with the S1r? I think I'll try to go into a used camera shop and shoot a couple of tests comparing the S1 and S1r.

No Vlog but it does have HLG.

I haven’t tried it though, too busy mid-season (by this weekend, 10 weddings behind on editing) so zero play time for anything like that.

It depends on how you define ‘good’ but there isn’t a time I can think of when I’ve thought, “the DR on this could be better”.

It is a pixel:pixel crop mode, but that doesn’t bother me except in one regard and that is shooting hybrid, my stills and video don’t match in focal length, something that is a deal-breaker on my next system, whether that remains L Mount or otherwise.

• 9 months later...

Dears, I just bought a Panasonic S1 and after the purchase I discovered something really bad: in Italy at the moment no dealer has the update for the V-log available anymore.

Do you know a dealer in Europe who still has it? There are resellers in America who would ship it to me in Italy, but it seems that the NTSC version is different from the PAL version.

Give me some advice, thanks a lot!