Sports videography

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I will link up some soccer footage from my game the other day. Not really feeling the FS5 though, considering the Panasonic AG CX-350 atm. Funny how quickly I started missing having that built in lens.       1 inch sensor with a 24mm - 490mm lens sounds perfect not to mention 10 bit 4K 60 etc

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Considering the Panasonic AG CX-350 atm. Funny how quickly I started missing having that built in lens.       1 inch sensor with a 24mm - 490mm lens sounds perfect not to mention 10 bit 4K 60 etc

The in-built NDI on that camera is a big win.

8 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I will link up some soccer footage from my game the other day. Not really feeling the FS5 though, considering the Panasonic AG CX-350 atm. Funny how quickly I started missing having that built in lens.       1 inch sensor with a 24mm - 490mm lens sounds perfect not to mention 10 bit 4K 60 etc

Do you think it's a matter of getting used to the FS5 though?  Each camera has its challenges that we have to work out how to overcome, so maybe it's just the devil you know...?

12 hours ago, kye said:

Do you think it's a matter of getting used to the FS5 though?  Each camera has its challenges that we have to work out how to overcome, so maybe it's just the devil you know...?

Possibly so far I've shot 3 product reviews, 1.5 lacrosse games, and a pro soccer game with it.

That's already 6 - 7 hours behind the camera not including time spent testing picture profiles. 

13 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Possibly so far I've shot 3 product reviews, 1.5 lacrosse games, and a pro soccer game with it.

That's already 6 - 7 hours behind the camera not including time spent testing picture profiles. 

Yeah, that's more than a first impression.  Great footage though!

On 6/21/2019 at 12:05 PM, Mako Sports said:

Go from 6hrs to 60hrs with it and then reassess you thoughts with it?

As 6hrs is nothing, is not even one full day of shooting. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Go from 6hrs to 60hrs with it and then reassess you thoughts with it?

As 6hrs is nothing, is not even one full day of shooting. 

Im at a point where after some use I can tell if a cam or accessory isn't right for me. Ive had the a6300 for 3 years and the Z90 for a year and half.  

It depends on what you do, on a cinema set yeah 12 hours is a full of day a shooting. A pro or high school sporting event is around 2.5 hours, very different operational situations.

With my thoughts so far its a Super 35 ilc Z90 with worse autofocus however it has awsome dynamic range, a class leading ND filter, and quiet xlr preamps. Gonna try to get $3,000 for it b4 the price drops again. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Canon FD 70-210 F4, Canon FD 2x TC, and Fotga FD-MFT adapter all arrived, and as luck would have it it's now school holidays and so there aren't any games for a couple of weeks so I'll have to wait to battle-test the new setup.  Initial impressions are very nice though!

@Mako Sports how's the FS5 replacement going?

@BTM_Pix I tried out the rain cover thingy last weekend in the rain and I realised I can't focus with the EVF while looking through the clear plastic on the back.  Is there a fix for this?  I'm thinking it's probably a matter of cutting a hole in it with some sort of DIY elastic band to fit nicely around the EVF cushion?

• Super Members
5 hours ago, kye said:

@BTM_Pix I tried out the rain cover thingy last weekend in the rain and I realised I can't focus with the EVF while looking through the clear plastic on the back.  Is there a fix for this?  I'm thinking it's probably a matter of cutting a hole in it with some sort of DIY elastic band to fit nicely around the EVF cushion?

This is how its done on a ThinkTank Hydrophobia so you will need to replicate this.

Rear-Eye-Cup.jpg.19985ee3a0748ee044ab575f5213f13c.jpg

At its most basic level then, you can do this in a DIY fashion by removing the EVF cup and cutting a hole in the plastic cover to snugly fit around the EVF that the removal of the cup has exposed but keeping the mounting rails for the cup exposed.

Then when you want to use it, you remove the EVF cup, press the cover onto the camera and slide the EVF cup back on and the overhang from the cup will hold it in place.

As I'm being extra helpful this morning, I have just produced this handy guide illustrating that poorly described process via the medium of a Fuji X-T2, a plastic bag and some scissors ;) 

15633652_DIYRainCover.thumb.jpg.2a14e5b44ae67529b0cefecf60c508bd.jpg

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Probably cheaper to just buy a Gallon Freezer Zip Lock bag and be done with it. ?

Just pointing out that the instructions were as an illustration for the, erm, low cost "tribute" edition of the Hydrophobia that Kye has got rather than recommending the using the actual class A drug containing bag pictured ;)

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Just pointing out that the instructions were as an illustration for the, erm, low cost "tribute" edition of the Hydrophobia that Kye has got rather than recommending the using the actual class A drug containing bag pictured ;)

what i want to know is how you know their class A ?  did  you shoot a " documentary " so to speak ? ?

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

https://www.abelcine.com/articles/blog-and-knowledge/client-profiles/last-chance-u-ready-for-anything-on-and-off-the-field

Good read, Last Chance U is on a Netflix with 4 seasons.

Looks like they used F55 as the A cam for all seasons, Varicam for some low lightstuff and fs7/fs5 for any run and gun situations.

Thanks for sharing - it's always interesting to be able to hear about how something was made and also be able to see the finished product.  In the US/UK I think that happens a lot but here in Australia it's less common, but thankfully Last Change U is available here so that's really cool :) 

20 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

https://www.abelcine.com/articles/blog-and-knowledge/client-profiles/last-chance-u-ready-for-anything-on-and-off-the-field

Good read, Last Chance U is on a Netflix with 4 seasons.

Looks like they used F55 as the A cam for all seasons, Varicam for some low lightstuff and fs7/fs5 for any run and gun situations.

The F55 is used as an A, B and C cameras, not just A, that makes a huge difference in personel and budget; and the FS7/FS5 are for game days and not for run n gun.

"TZ: Our primary A/B/C cameras have been the Sony F55 since Season 1. For documentary work, this camera can't be beat. It has every feature built in, and is light, very dependable, and shoots true 4K (Netflix approved!). For Season 3, I was lucky enough to shoot on the new R7 recorder and shot the whole show in the new X-OCN LT format – what a game changer. We shot 16-bit compressed RAW, with the same file sizes as the XAVC codec we shot the years before. This alone future proofs the camera for many, many years...

...for game days, we upscaled to around ten cameras. To cover the games we added two end zone long-lens cameras, and I chose the VariCam LT because of its dual ISO. This enabled us to shoot ISO 5000 at 60 fps with a Canon 50-1000mm 5.0-8.9 lens even under the worst junior college stadium lighting. It worked flawlessly, and with our stylized “game look” the cameras match up very well.

We also added four FS7s: two on the sidelines and one positioned high and wide to cover the game in the more traditional televised style. This also leaves one FS7 free to roam through the crowd to get crowd reactions. Meanwhile, the FS5 was used as a static coach's booth camera to get the reaction shots."