Jump to content
IronFilm

New low budget "pro" wireless: Deity Connect

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/nab-2019-deity-2-4ghz-wireless-system/

 

Quote

One of the fastest-growing companies in recent memory (thanks to some help from Aputure), Deity Microphones has been putting out some stellar products lately. Their most recent release, the V.Lav, was an impressive addition to their lavalier lineup — and a welcome product for many filmmakers. So, with NAB in full swing, Deity has finally released their staggering 2.4Ghz wireless system. Connect was first announced back in September, 2018, but the system is now on display and ready to rock at NAB with an actual release date of April 16th.

 

image.png.90be802bc83936a5edd2a63f3fec77cc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they make a traditional single receiver with transmitter kit. I like to keep my setup as small as possible and don't need the dual receiver. (Would also be saving a few hundred $) If they do this I have zero problems switching out my Sony UWP D11's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

I hope they make a traditional single receiver with transmitter kit. I like to keep my setup as small as possible and don't need the dual receiver. (Would also be saving a few hundred $) If they do this I have zero problems switching out my Sony UWP D11's. 

I would stick to my UWPs for now.

There is a certain delay, the specific frequencies are getting really crowded, not battle tested yet, build in battery e.t.c

Also, "There’s no release date for Deity Connect, yet. However if you want to be notified first, you can sign up"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

No new lav's or updated smic-2?

They announced a new lav. 
And showed prototypes of new XLR mics as well

38 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Also, "There’s no release date for Deity Connect, yet. However if you want to be notified first, you can sign up"

It is only a few weeks away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deity in 2 years (will) have all the equipment I gather from 7 brands, that took them years to R&D, and for 3-5 times the money.

Sorry for being sceptical about most of those.

I am only enthusiastic about their wireless system so far, because indeed, electronics have moved a lot in the last couple of years and you can get better performance for cheaper, but for the rest, I would be more sceptical.

I was right in the beginning of their Deity Aputure (back then), when all the youtubers were screaming "416 killer of half the price" when that microphone was nothing like the 416, wasn't even the same internal design or anything.

It was an outright lie, to put the 416 in the same sentence with the Aputure Deity back then. The only things in common were the shameful copy of the 416 in resemblance, and that they both are mics! They admitted that, and now I saw they have a 3rd edition of their first mic. There are thousands of people that bought the first two, and in just 13-15 months time they are loosing more value of their purchase! Especially the first one was such a cheap and underperforming design, it was really a same.

Also, there are just a few true working sound men of real experience and value (maybe 2 persons) participating in the youtube conversation, so most of the - Aputure influenced - reviews are from the usual "youtubers" crowd, people with little to no real experience with production sound. 

Instead of buying a new Aputure design every year - until they reach German standards - maybe just buy a good one from a reputable and experienced manufacturer (Audix, BeyerDynamics, AKG, Audio Technica, some Rodes, Neumann, Sennheiser, e.t.c )from the beginning, and let the new players experiment with somebody else's pocket and time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Deity in 2 years (will) have all the equipment I gather from 7 brands, that took them years to R&D, and for 3-5 times the money.

Sorry for being sceptical about most of those.

I am only enthusiastic about their wireless system so far, because indeed, electronics have moved a lot in the last couple of years and you can get better performance for cheaper, but for the rest, I would be more sceptical.

I was right in the beginning of their Deity Aputure (back then), when all the youtubers were screaming "416 killer of half the price" when that microphone was nothing like the 416, wasn't even the same internal design or anything.

It was an outright lie, to put the 416 in the same sentence with the Aputure Deity back then. The only things in common were the shameful copy of the 416 in resemblance, and that they both are mics! They admitted that, and now I saw they have a 3rd edition of their first mic. There are thousands of people that bought the first two, and in just 13-15 months time they are loosing more value of their purchase! Especially the first one was such a cheap and underperforming design, it was really a same.

Also, there are just a few true working sound men of real experience and value (maybe 2 persons) participating in the youtube conversation, so most of the - Aputure influenced - reviews are from the usual "youtubers" crowd, people with little to no real experience with production sound. 

Instead of buying a new Aputure design every year - until they reach German standards - maybe just buy a good one from a reputable and experienced manufacturer (Audix, BeyerDynamics, AKG, Audio Technica, some Rodes, Neumann, Sennheiser, e.t.c )from the beginning, and let the new players experiment with somebody else's pocket and time.

 

Got links for the "true working sound men"? No sass, just curious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Linus N said:

Got links for the "true working sound men"? No sass, just curious

I meant, experienced ones (more than 5-7 years experience, and at least a few series of broadcasted material and real films), I said two, I should say none!

Jwsound is a good source of information by established professionals, and except some kids and a few others with limited years on the job, this guy is giving nice advice

https://m.youtube.com/user/ThatWasSound

The Judd guy explains things nice and easy and is a valuable source of information, but I am not sure if he has ever worked on a scripted job, a soap opera, a TV show or a feature film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 6:33 AM, Kisaha said:

Deity in 2 years (will) have all the equipment I gather from 7 brands, that took them years to R&D, and for 3-5 times the money.

Sorry for being sceptical about most of those.

I am only enthusiastic about their wireless system so far, because indeed, electronics have moved a lot in the last couple of years and you can get better performance for cheaper, but for the rest, I would be more sceptical.

I was right in the beginning of their Deity Aputure (back then), when all the youtubers were screaming "416 killer of half the price" when that microphone was nothing like the 416, wasn't even the same internal design or anything.

It was an outright lie, to put the 416 in the same sentence with the Aputure Deity back then. The only things in common were the shameful copy of the 416 in resemblance, and that they both are mics! They admitted that, and now I saw they have a 3rd edition of their first mic. There are thousands of people that bought the first two, and in just 13-15 months time they are loosing more value of their purchase! Especially the first one was such a cheap and underperforming design, it was really a same.

Also, there are just a few true working sound men of real experience and value (maybe 2 persons) participating in the youtube conversation, so most of the - Aputure influenced - reviews are from the usual "youtubers" crowd, people with little to no real experience with production sound. 

Instead of buying a new Aputure design every year - until they reach German standards - maybe just buy a good one from a reputable and experienced manufacturer (Audix, BeyerDynamics, AKG, Audio Technica, some Rodes, Neumann, Sennheiser, e.t.c )from the beginning, and let the new players experiment with somebody else's pocket and time.

 

@Kisaha, appreciate the perspective. For someone like myself, whose got 2 pairs of Senny G3's (all bought used over the years for under $300 a pair), but has been considering purchasing another pair for backup/3 person interviews... is there any reason to start diversifying ---- maybe pickup a pair from a newer device/different company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

@Kisaha, appreciate the perspective. For someone like myself, whose got 2 pairs of Senny G3's (all bought used over the years for under $300 a pair), but has been considering purchasing another pair for backup/3 person interviews... is there any reason to start diversifying ---- maybe pickup a pair from a newer device/different company?

If you are happy with the G3s, then try to find a cheap used one. They usually don't break easily. I know people still using their G2s and they are happy with them.

Rodelink can be found for dead cheap also and can be a good solution (same Deity technology) if do not mind the size (they are huge!).

Personally, the absolute minimum for me are the Sony UWP series, they are hybrid and have true diversity, a characterestic found in more expensive systems.

The Deity Wireless will be a good solution, we are waiting for the first real reviews and comparisons. They can easily become your first setup.

There are always the Rode Go and the new Sennheiser systems, but they are too consumerish for my taste.

Wait for the new Deity (they will sell loads of those!) and see, or else check the first option (cheap used G3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, Kisaha said:

Deity in 2 years (will) have all the equipment I gather from 7 brands, that took them years to R&D, and for 3-5 times the money.


I know for a fact Deity/Aputure has been working on bringing out a wireless for much much longer than just a couple of years, since before even Andrew Jones joined. This didn't just happen all "overnight". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 4:24 AM, Kisaha said:

The Judd guy explains things nice and easy and is a valuable source of information, but I am not sure if he has ever worked on a scripted job, a soap opera, a TV show or a feature film.

Curtis Judd has an absolutely fantastic youtube channel, however he is primarily a corporate videographer (who just very very occasionally does work each year specifically as a location sound recordist)  thus he does very occasionally say some things which seem a bit questionable to me. However when you remember the perspective he is coming from then it makes sense. 

At the moment the only people who are working professional location sound recordists and are regularily sharing BTS content on youtube are Matt, Rodolfo, Michael, and myself. And the only specialist boom op in the world who has a regular channel is Allen, thus his content is really special and very worthwhile checking out. 


Sadly these numbers are pretty teeny tiny when compared that to the dozens if not hundreds of youtube channels by videographers talking endlessly about new cameras/lenses/lights/etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...