Back from the dead? 8 reasons why I am warming to the tiny Canon EOS RP

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn, not only does it have 4K DPAF.. but it does so with continuous eye-AF in video. ..something EOS R can't even do (Canon better add that in a future update!)

No ALL-I codec, 10-bit out or Clog were to be expected.. but all in all not that much missing.

Pretty sweet deal for $1000 cheaper than EOS R released only 4 months ago.. 

16 minutes ago, forofilms said:

hmmm, no news on the crop?

I would assume it's there and take it as a pleasant surprise if it's not cropped. It'd probably be a slightly tighter crop than APSC or however the math adds up for this sensor. 

17 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

If its a consumer grade camera that seems fair? Kinda strange to omit 30fps as I know a lot of normal consumers prefer it to 24p

I agree. I was wondering if there's potential for it in the US market. However, I believe my GX85 also might be limited to 24/25.

11 minutes ago, Django said:

Damn, not only does it have 4K DPAF.. but it does so with continuous eye-AF in video. ..something EOS R can't even do (Canon better add that in a future update!)

No ALL-I codec, 10-bit out or Clog were to be expected.. but all in all not that much missing.

Pretty sweet deal for $1000 cheaper than EOS R released only 4 months ago.. 

Agreed that this is a great value. If the 4K crop is closer to 1.5x as expected, it even has a leg up vs the EOS R. Without the All-I, 10-bit HDMI out, and C-Log, the EOS R is still the better buy as a C200/300 B-Cam or professional mirrorless camera, but this would be a great enthusiast camera or travel camera. 

I don't vlog, but I can see vloggers digging it as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the marketing materials included a lot of vlogging images (and maybe why they included Eye-AF). 

The only big negative upon further review is the battery. Bummer to see a battery that has just over half the capacity of a Canon LP-E6 on a full frame camera that shoots 4K. I'm guessing you won't get much more than 45-minutes shooting on a battery that size. As someone who owns a lot of Canon LP-E6s and has battery life pretty high up on the priority list, that is a bummer.

I'm waiting for the pro model anyway, but love the RP's size and price. If it had that bigger battery it may have made a good B-Cam to the EOS R on smaller, one-man band shoots - or as a camera to always have on a gimbal for quick shots. 

21 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

The only big negative upon further review is the battery. Bummer to see a battery that has just over half the capacity of a Canon LP-E6 on a full frame camera that shoots 4K. I'm guessing you won't get much more than 45-minutes shooting on a battery that size. As someone who owns a lot of Canon LP-E6s and has battery life pretty high up on the priority list, that is a bummer.

I'm waiting for the pro model anyway, but love the RP's size and price. If it had that bigger battery it may have made a good B-Cam to the EOS R on smaller, one-man band shoots - or as a camera to always have on a gimbal for quick shots. 

What battery will it be using? A new model?

2 minutes ago, forofilms said:

What battery will it be using? A new model?

LPE17. Specs rate the battery life to be 250 pics and 240 pics at zero degrees science. Real world usage might be a little lower. It's the same battery for the smaller cameras and the Rebel, starting with the T6i. Fortunately, there's plenty of aftermarket batteries available. A double charger and 2 batteries can be had for 20 bucks(freedom dollars, not the pounds).

4 minutes ago, crazyrunner33 said:

LPE17. Specs rate the battery life to be 250 pics and 240 pics at zero degrees science. Real world usage might be a little lower. It's the same battery for the smaller cameras and the Rebel, starting with the T6i. Fortunately, there's plenty of aftermarket batteries available. A double charger and 2 batteries can be had for 20 bucks(freedom dollars, not the pounds).

Thanks. I wonder what the video performance will be on that battery, especially at 4k, with the screen on. It would surprise me if you could get longer than an hour on those battery specs. 

6 minutes ago, crazyrunner33 said:

From my experience, off-brand LP-E6s seem to last about 60% the time of the Canon batteries. Same for the LPE17s? Or do other manufacturer's batteries do a bit better? 

42 minutes ago, Django said:

Yeah crop doesn't really have to do with processing power, more so that Canon does 1:1 4K readouts no?

Maybe some math expert can predict the crop now that we have final sensor specs? 

6240(listed pixel width)/3840(UHD, I didn't see a 4K option) = 1.625. 

If the specs are correct, it should be almost identical to Canon APS C. 

3 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

From my experience, off-brand LP-E6s seem to last about 60% the time of the Canon batteries. Same for the LPE17s? Or do other manufacturer's batteries do a bit better? 

Depends on the manufacture. I've had some off brand LP-E6 outperform the Canon battery and some that sucked. 

4 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Okay great - will do some research but if you have some brands that have done particularly well, would love to know which ones. 

I'll look and see too. I know for power tool batteries, everyone uses Samsung 18650 cells and you'd be crazy to spend the extra 50-75 bucks on name brand. I'm not sure if camera batteries also use standard cells that all come out of the same part bins or not. 

2 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

I am sorry for people who bought EOS R, this one is basically the same, also with eye AF, and almost half the price.

You do know Canon is adding eye AF to the EOS R via firmware don’t you? I’m not knocking that the RP sounds like good value, but the EOS R has 10 bit out and CLog, magnesium alloy build and a larger battery. I feel the RP is a good option if money is an issue. However, barring that the R is still better overall. And well it should be, it cost substantial more.