Olympus EM1-X Rumor

webrunner5

59 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Rumor sez it may have a built in electronic variable ND filter.

Okay then.  I'm listening Olympus.  That's useful real world stuff right there.  I'm beyond pixel peeping at my age.  All these modern sensors do enough for me.  Now, show me pragmatic features and you got my attention. 

Built in variable ND is exactly that.  Allow me to lock in my SS, ISO, Iris, and Frame Rate... then control exposure with built in ND?  Man 'o Man.  That's a video shooter's dream. (at least this particular shooter)

Yeah this is going to be a great camera for Birders, Sports, etc. Sounds like a dream Photo camera for me, but Wow 3000 bucks. That is sort of past my income bracket.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A built-in variable ND filter is really one of the few things that can make mirrorless cameras stand apart from others - when it comes down to it, all modern mirrorless cameras (GH5, X-T3, Z7, S1 and S1r surely, and A7III) have amazing image and video quality. But functionality like good internal audio and (my biggest) variable ND will be the difference makers.

If Olympus can really give us 7+ stops of IBIS + a variable internal ND, they become quite a bit more interesting to me than something like the EOS R, Z7, or even the Fujis (which I love). Get some f0.95 lenses or a speedbooster and you can get that shallow DoF that we all love. But, hard to overlook the usefulness of something like a variable ND - even compared to the holy grail of full frame.

Hoping for it in the Panasonic S1(r) anyway - just really want that internal variable ND. 

14 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

A built-in variable ND filter is really one of the few things that can make mirrorless cameras stand apart from others - when it comes down to it, all modern mirrorless cameras (GH5, X-T3, Z7, S1 and S1r surely, and A7III) have amazing image and video quality. But functionality like good internal audio and (my biggest) variable ND will be the difference makers.

If Olympus can really give us 7+ stops of IBIS + a variable internal ND, they become quite a bit more interesting to me than something like the EOS R, Z7, or even the Fujis (which I love). Get some f0.95 lenses or a speedbooster and you can get that shallow DoF that we all love. But, hard to overlook the usefulness of something like a variable ND - even compared to the holy grail of full frame.

Hoping for it in the Panasonic S1(r) anyway - just really want that internal variable ND. 

Isn't one of these new Panasonic S cameras suppose to be around 3000 dollars also??

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Isn't one of these new Panasonic S cameras suppose to be around 3000 dollars also??

With a full frame sensor and a very high megapixel count. It is the R, the S and the nothing, that a lot follow the Sony naming shows how succesfull and clever their campaigning was, while they used as beta testers their whole client base, while establishing themselves as the only players at the future's most important photo and video market (full frame mirrorless, 1 entry level model, a very high resolution one, a video specialized one and a sports camera). Remarkable achievement and we all must applause, either we like Sony, or don't (I don't really!).

GH5 for photo isn't anywhere near those other cameras mentioned. This summer I did a couple photo jobs with the GH5 and my ancient NX1/NX500 destroyed them in all modes I used, and for my workflow (mind you that NX has a 28mpxl BSI APS-C sensor, still the most megapixels count in the industry).

I have put a pause on my P4K order (that means, I haven't order it yet) until I see the official Panasonic announcements, but if it doesn't have an excellent AF system, is a no go for me and I am buying the P4K (as a stop gap, or stop g.a.s, name it as you like) and staying for another year with my NX hybrid system (4 cameras/8 lenses and all the accessories I ever need) until I see where the whole hybrid and video industry are headed, but my impression is that full frame will be a necessity for professionals, because amateurs and clients consider it to be the holy grail and pushing to that direction.

Well if I was into photos big time a Nikon D850, even a D810 would have to be at the top of the list if money was not a concern. Yeah m4/3 cameras are pretty good for photos, but they are not close to FF territory when they have a high MP count. That is why I am not too sure this new Olympus is really going to be a smash hit. Sure well heeled EM1 shooters will buy it but..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Not much coming through the rumor site but today someone posted in the comments some of their experience at a hands-on event from 2 months ago.  He specifically mentioned that the video specs were on par with the GH5S (including low-light ability).  Only 7 days left until the official announcement.

In 43rumors, "a source" is claiming 0,3 to 0,5 stops performance ahead of a D500, over a half stop better then the E-M1 MK II, video specs on par with the GH5s including low light, 10 bit internal recording, best EVF in industry withou blackouts, C-AF tracking as good or better than the Sony A9.

I want the drugs that this guy is using, must be amazing. :)

6 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

More details leaked but little of it is specific to video.  But there will be LOG

https://photorumors.com/2019/01/18/more-leaks-olympus-e-m1x-and-new-flash-system-pictures-specifications-prices/

"Key OM-D Movie video capabilities: 4K and C4K, OM-Log400, Different levels of IS, 120 fps high-speed shooting in Full HD"

Looks pretty awesome. Panasonic's response should be juicy. 

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow 3600 US dollars is up there for a m4/3 camera. I know it is sort of a Canon 1Dx mk II, Nikon D5 but. Sounds like a Wildlife, sports camera dream. It will be interesting to see how it works out in the long run.

Didn't notice the pricetag. 

Looks like it could be an ideal vlogging camera if it has A9 quality auto focus and a flippy screen. Thats a lot of money though. 

36 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Might be too big and heavy for vlogging. Not counting too expensive. The 899 dollar A6400 would be a better bet for that I would think. This thing must be crazy good to ask that much money. But Olympus makes damn good stuff.?

True unless its one of those vloggers with very deep pockets. Without the grip and a tiny zoom lens it should be pretty light. IBIS is a big advantage for the vlogger types. 

Hopefully it has good battery life, though IBIS usually kills batteries quick. 

It appears the ND filter is kind of a "gimmick" and only available with stills. It appears to take multiple images in order to create a shot that appears to have an ND? I assume a dreamy looking waterfall for example? This is a huge bummer in my book. I would love to see a mirrorless camera that has a real ND filter.