The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K unboxed and first impressions - Best indie RAW camera yet?

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

This camera would benefit greatly from a battery grip that can be attached like every other DSLR/mirrorless camera out there. Surprised someone doesn't just make a battery grip style external power source. They'd sell loads of them. Not a fan of the Powerbase form factor from the looks of it, but interested to see how people like it. 

I can't seem to even find a picture Anywhere on the web of the Bottom of the PK4. Must be a trade secret! Maybe that is why there is No battery grip for it. Nobody knows what to build to fit it LoL.

And I am posting this link from hell on the PK4 from the other PK4 thread in case someone missed it.

https://creativityinnovationsuccess.wordpress.com/tag/blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't seem to even find a picture Anywhere on the web of the Bottom of the PK4. Must be a trade secret! Maybe that is why there is No battery grip for it. Nobody knows what to build to fit it LoL.

And I am posting this link from hell on the PK4 from the other PK4 thread in case someone missed it.

https://creativityinnovationsuccess.wordpress.com/tag/blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k/

enough people on here have a p4k camera by now, heck andrew reid could provide one, and we call it community service ?

On 11/3/2018 at 8:17 AM, Shirozina said:

Have you used an external monitor/recorder? They have fans and get very hot even when not recording and you are just using the display. I've got a VideoDevices 5" monitor and it gets very hot. 

Umm..articulating screen separates itself in that sense from the recording bits. Probably helpful to managing heat at the recording/processing core.

5 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Until someone does a teardown we won't know what the cooling system is doing.

um i think it should be cooling things down, do you suspect its doing something else ?

besides you could drill some holes in the base plate or cage if you feel the need

51 minutes ago, leslie said:

um i think it should be cooling things down, do you suspect its doing something else ?

besides you could drill some holes in the base plate or cage if you feel the need

Is it cooling the Sensor, CPU, screen?. If the screen has a heatsink attached to the back of it then an articulating screen is not going to be an easy option.

Or power it from 12V. At least I managed to get support to say that i will support constantly being powered from external supply.

I don't think he knew what Synchro was but you can set shutter angle manually in 0.1* increments so I guess that works too.

I still don't have a clear answer what the HDMI is suppose to output but it should be able to output 1080p50 at least so that could be scaled later.

It has a tally light but no way of using it as a tally =/

On 11/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, Anaconda_ said:

There's no space on the door, but the door is easy to take off and there's a latch inside to hold the battery in. This way you can safely use a dummy battery.

Awesome, thanks!

On 11/16/2018 at 12:01 AM, webrunner5 said:

Wonder if a person could buy a spare door and grind, or file an area in it where the wire would fit with it closed? I would not be too fond of nothing in the bottom.

I had a BMMCC for a while and the battery was completely exposed, so I got used to it :D