Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Recommended Posts

Will Canon make an RF-mount XC-series camera for video to utilise the ND filter EF adapter? If something like that ever comes out, it might be unable to take still images though, something always remains limited. I think the 'Pro' series model will be much bigger and heavier, besides all the extra cost.

Looking at that A7III comparison, the EOS R looks rather good in HD overall, even with the softness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, ade towell said:

but the terrible rolling shutter makes handheld a real issue. From what I've seen the sharper looking hd on the EOS-R uses the crop mode which has bad RS

I guess you pick your poison. I've not had an issue with it. Depends on what kind of hand held, I generally don't wave it around in front of vertical structures, that would be a problem but in real world use it's not been a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ade towell said:

I don't wave the camera around either but RS is a real irritant for me that I feel shouldn't be so easy to provoke on a camera costing well over £2k in this day and age. 

Yes it's not ideal but it's not something that I think will be a problem in real world usage. You do have to just pick your poison though: Sony, color isn't so good, AF isn't as good, tonality for me and "thickness" is lacking, Panasonic GH5 which I used to have, bad color, over sharp in a digital way, BMPC footage hasn't bowled me over, Canon R rolling shutter and no 60p in 4K. C100, no 4K, C200, great but expensive and big, C300 same as before, Alexa, big and heavy and a bit slow to work with, Red, don't like the footage and un reliable and expensive..

All of these are just my opinions of course, there's no good or bad color or tonality, it's just preference and these are my preferences. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you, they've all got their quirks - I just feel I've been waiting far too long for Canon to give me a reasonably priced hybrid camera with decent hd to work alongside my C100. Not so fussed with 4k or 50p, just decent hd with clog - they should have been able to offer that years ago, tech has moved on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ade towell said:

I hear you, they've all got their quirks - I just feel I've been waiting far too long for Canon to give me a reasonably priced hybrid camera with decent hd to work alongside my C100. Not so fussed with 4k or 50p, just decent hd with clog - they should have been able to offer that years ago, tech has moved on

What makes you think it doesn't have decent HD? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No RS what so ever in my handheld HD footage. I use the IS at all times and still the footage looks awesome when done.
I also watched some of it on my 42" Samsung LCD which has its sharpness turned down, but still in true Samsung fashion ads a lot of it.
Soft and/or low detail are not words I can use to describe it. Its sharp and detailed.

Skin tones.... Pure class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

No RS what so ever in my handheld HD footage. I use the IS at all times and still the footage looks awesome when done.
I also watched some of it on my 42" Samsung LCD which has its sharpness turned down, but still in true Samsung fashion ads a lot of it.
Soft and/or low detail are not words I can use to describe it. Its sharp and detailed.

Skin tones.... Pure class.

Yes, it's not quite the camera we were hoping for, nothing from Canon ever is but it's a way better camera than the specs may suggest. 480MB data rate at 4K too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear that the hd cuts well with c100 - is this in full frame or crop mode? Do you have an example of it cut with c100, just a few seconds worth? My worry based on what I've seen so far was that the full frame hd is same old soft Canon mush they've been giving us for years in their dslr's and that you had to put it in crop mode to get better quality hd - but this mode has bad RS

 

Also what flavour clog is in the EOS-R - is it original clog of c100 or does it have clog2, 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 7:26 AM, Andrew Reid said:

When Canon find out the cluster bomb crater the EOS R has made in their 5DIV and 6DII sales they will swiftly bring out a bunch more models and lenses.

Canon have made their own bestsellers obsolete, which is probably why they put off doing this camera for so long in the first place. They didn't need to, as the previous obsolete cameras were still selling so well.


At least Fro was honest in that video about the 6Dmk2 now being "dead in the water" (exact quote from Fro!).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:


At least Fro was honest in that video about the 6Dmk2 now being "dead in the water" (exact quote from Fro!).

 

I tend to agree, thats how good the AF and EVF on the EOS-R is. Its twice the price if course, but other than that it has it down for counting.

I still haven't had time to use it much outside of professional use, so a review is still a few weeks away. But Im already playing around with titles. Im thinking along the lines of "EOS-R - Can it save the mirrorless camera?" ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I tend to agree, thats how good the AF and EVF on the EOS-R is. Its twice the price if course, but other than that it has it down for counting.

I still haven't had time to use it much outside of professional use, so a review is still a few weeks away. But Im already playing around with titles. Im thinking along the lines of "EOS-R - Can it save the mirrorless camera?" ;)

BTW.. shouldn't your tagline be: 4K is for people who's clients ask for 4K?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the store and played for an hour or so with an EOS R (among other cameras like the M50) I went in with the attitude to dislike it but to be honest, I think I kinda like it. I can't pinpoint what exactly, but it just feels... "right"? Like a camera I'd want to grab and use. The few videos I shot in the store look nice and subjectively (to me) better than M50 and Sonys I tried. The colors straight out of camera compared to the Sony a7III feel much nicer. 

I'm not a pro and might have different expectations, but some random thoughts:

  • C-LOG not usable in any of the auto settings is dumb. At least let me do auto ISO. Any thoughts why they do this? 
  • Control ring EF adapter is sweet. I like having a versatile dial directly where the lens is
    • Too bad it adds even more size to the camera at all time, at least until we get more affordable and smaller R lenses
  • Higher ISO (2000~3000) still feels usable
  • USB-C in a camera!! How come I didn't know this before
  • Not having a control ring around the dial feels odd. I keep trying to rotate it
  • M-fn bar, I don't know. Still don't really get that thing. 
  • EVF is too sensitive. I keep moving my hand over it to reach buttons and the screen turns off (yeah I know I can turn that off, but making it a tick less sensitive would be nicer)
  • I like the button layout. having the menu button on the right side away from the other ones makes it easier to reach. With other cameras I keep hitting the wrong button when I want to adjust the camera settings from in front of it (edge case, I know, but still). Dedicated recording button location is nice. 
  • The 3 custom movie modes are great. Easy to switch between different scenarios (such as C-log)
  • When re-binding button functions, each button always has a separate function for photos and videos which makes sense. You want completely different things when shooting video vs photos

All in all it's a lovely camera that I think fits my needs quite well. I don't have a verdict yet, but maybe, just maybe, I might pick one up after all. It has problems, yes, but it feels (compared to previous cameras) that with stuff like C-Log, separate bindings for photo/video, custom video modes, etc, Canon genuinely thought about video folks more than they get credit for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dvcrn said:

 

  • Control ring EF adapter is sweet. I like having a versatile dial directly where the lens is
    • Too bad it adds even more size to the camera at all time, at least until we get more affordable and smaller R lenses.

Nice write up!

In most cases adapters doesn't add any size. Without it the lens is either bigger or slower. The adapter + EF 50/1.2 is roughly the size or maybe even smaller than the RF version. Same goes for Sony E-mount which size wise is pretty much as big or bigger than a DSLR with an equal lens. Another example are Sigma lenses which are bigger in E-Mount than EF or F.

Mirrorless is only really smaller if the sensor or aperture is smaller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the customisation of EOS-R is kind of understated i feel.

3 custom still modes + 3 custom movie modes + My Menu + Arrow keys + Mfn Bar + Ring control etc.. that's quite a bit!

Almost a month in and I'm finally settling on what i feel is now perfect setup for my type of shooting and it feels amazing. 

On 10/31/2018 at 12:27 PM, ade towell said:

Good to hear that the hd cuts well with c100 - is this in full frame or crop mode? Do you have an example of it cut with c100, just a few seconds worth? My worry based on what I've seen so far was that the full frame hd is same old soft Canon mush they've been giving us for years in their dslr's and that you had to put it in crop mode to get better quality hd - but this mode has bad RS

 

Also what flavour clog is in the EOS-R - is it original clog of c100 or does it have clog2, 3?

Both modes cut very well with the C100. Obviously, crop mode does better with only x0.2 crop difference and similar 4K downsampled IQ.

No example footage I'm afraid ( you can thank Vimeo for pulling the plug on my account.. over an old private video SMH).

EOS-R has original C100/C300 Clog or C200 "Neutral" CLog options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the EOS R is a good example of a camera that you have to use and not just look at the spec sheet. Of course if you need FF 4k and 120fps, then this camera isn't for you. It also annoys me but I think it'll still satisfy a lot of people. I'll borrow one later and play around with it today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...