Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, heart0less said:

I like the overall tonality and ambience, but the talent's skin looks a bit off to me. 

It's a bit pale and at the same time too pinky / magentish / reddish (especially her nose). 

You’re absolutely right. Too pinkish and greenish. I worked too fast. I just wanted a quick test with 16.1 final release. Now I’m editing this short. In a few weeks, I’ll work seriously on color grading.

Hi

Can anybody please help me with one question. I have read couple of threads and I get different opinions on this. Did Fuji X-T3 / X-T30 finally fixed their Auto ISO stepping exposure problem ? I mean when I film with fixed aperture and ss and have auto iso set...do exposure transitions look smooth or is there still this stepping behaviour ?

ISO stepping is still there on the X-T3.

It is my #1 major problem with this camera, I saw it within a minute of powering up my new camera and almost decided to return it

there and then. I don't understand why I don't see online reviews complaining about this. So why didn't I return it?

I wanted: 1) 4K 60p Video and 2) beautiful 6K stills and 3) interchangeable lenses and 4) built-in time lapse & slow motion. And the video quality on this is just so incredible.

The other 4K60 camera alternatives are too expensive, or had other problems that I don't want to work around. And I don't use 24p or 30p.

So I use manual exposure for video. I just got used to it.

FUJI, HERE'S MY 2 CENT SOLUTION: If Fuji doubled the ISO stepping to 6 or 8 or more steps per stop for video, it would become small enough to be acceptable. (Firmware Update?)

I don't need auto aperture (I have a lot of 70's & 80's glass & adapters), and I won't use auto shutter speed for video.

About other opinions: I've seen a youtube where the contrast in the video was set very low, and the stepping was not obvious. I like decent contrast in my videos.

#2 major problem: occasional auto focus hunting, so I use manual focus. I'm used to manual focus, I started with Bolex 16mm, and a Canon 35mm SLR.

(#3 problem: no IBIS. My usual solution: software stabilization in Final Cut Pro or Premiere. To smooth most handheld motion, Just click the stabilization box. Its magic.)

Despite the above, for the past year my X-T3 has been a blast and inspired me to all sorts of new video experimentation. It's just so cool.

Yeah auto exposure doesn't look pretty. I've never used auto exposure in my life though. I can see it being useful for a indoor to outdoor shot or something. I suppose it could be useful for event work. 

The S1H tops the XT3 but its way more expensive. The S1 is nice too but its 8 bit 4k 60p and not even full frame. 

16 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah auto exposure doesn't look pretty. I've never used auto exposure in my life though. I can see it being useful for a indoor to outdoor shot or something. I suppose it could be useful for event work. 

The S1H tops the XT3 but its way more expensive. The S1 is nice too but its 8 bit 4k 60p and not even full frame. 

It's a real pitty. I am looking for a camera with smooth auto iso and smooth af for run and gun video on gimbal during travel. I already done such run and gun with my current X-E3 but setting manual exposure all the time during travel with my family is getting cumbersome. AF also ruined couple of shots due to pulsing and was also cumbersome due to lack of subject tracking. Panasonic S1 is too big and to expensive. Sony is good for auto iso and af but their colors are meh. It seems like Nikon Z6 or maybe Z50 will do the job for me in this particular use scenario.

2 hours ago, FS670ES said:

It's a real pitty. I am looking for a camera with smooth auto iso and smooth af for run and gun video on gimbal during travel. I already done such run and gun with my current X-E3 but setting manual exposure all the time during travel with my family is getting cumbersome.

YES! After using camcorders from Sony & Canon for the last 25 years, switching to the X-T3 for video was a bit of a shock.

I liked the colors in my Canon Vixia from 2012, and if you are happy with 1080 60p there is quite a few camcorders from $200 to $800 to use in those situations. They have smaller sensors whose deeper depth of field reduces visible focus hunting, smooth auto exposure, good image stabilization, have 20:1 (!) optical POWERED ZOOM that stay in focus (X-t3 kit zoom 3:1 not powered, not parfocal, exposure stepping. Even the $3,000 cinema zoom is only 3:1, no auto focus, no power zoom). And they can fit in a big pocket. Checking B&H I see the Canon G21 is on sale till Oct 31. If I didn't have a camcorder already I'd consider that for family run & gun.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I've always manually exposed so the XT3 is easy for me, even for run and gun. The XT3 auto focus is also pretty darn good for my uses. Not on par with Sony yet unfortunately. 

Do you set one exposure before shooting and stick to it through the shot? Or do you manually adjust exposure while you are shooting? 

I'm often moving around a scene with drastically different light levels. Changing aperture or ISO during shooting

is visible as ugly jumping steps, and that's fine if you can cut the shot in two and remove it. Otherwise moving from a dark area to bright one,

in a continous shot, needs a smooth auto or manual exposure adjustment.

With the X-T3 I stick to one exposure. So sometimes I do a gradual brightness adjustment in Final Cut Pro, a "video animation" with keyframes that you set manually so it changes smoothly

over time.  But this is extra work and can degrade the video quality, so I avoid drastic light level changes within shots. This is not necessary with camcorders. I havn't used the Panasonic G5,

does that do smooth auto exposure?  (At the time I bought the Fuji, the Panasonic with a zoom lens was an extra $1000, but now it has come down.) I'm talking 4K 60p here.

1 hour ago, Jay60p said:

Do you set one exposure before shooting and stick to it through the shot? Or do you manually adjust exposure while you are shooting? 

If you have a lens with a smooth aperture ring or a variable ND filter you can get a smooth exposure change. But yeah I agree auto exposure is ideal for the type of stuff you do. 

I hate to say but an EOS R or A73 might be your best bet. Good AF and auto exposure, decent image quality(more so A73). 

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I hate to say but an EOS R or A73 might be your best bet. Good AF and auto exposure, decent image quality(more so A73). 

I know most of the people posting here do this for a living and 30p is probably the standard. I do this because I love it, and have a family with two teenagers that give me a run & gun challenge all the time.  But now that I've seen 4k60 versus 4k30 with the X-T3, I won't go with less than 4k60. And Canon, Nikon, and Sony don't have it for anywheres near the Fuji's price. The Panasonic GH5 is close, and the Pocket Cinema camera is just too specialized. This will change in the near future of course. I'm waiting to see what the Fuji X-H2 will do.

30 minutes ago, Jay60p said:

I know most of the people posting here do this for a living and 30p is probably the standard. I do this because I love it, and have a family with two teenagers that give me a run & gun challenge all the time.  But now that I've seen 4k60 versus 4k30 with the X-T3, I won't go with less than 4k60. And Canon, Nikon, and Sony don't have it for anywheres near the Fuji's price. The Panasonic GH5 is close, and the Pocket Cinema camera is just too specialized. This will change in the near future of course. I'm waiting to see what the Fuji X-H2 will do.

Yeah the GH5 can be had for dang cheap used. If you don't need the bump in high ISO performance it might be the way to go. IBIS is incredible for family stuff imho

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you have a lens with a smooth aperture ring or a variable ND filter you can get a smooth exposure change. But yeah I agree auto exposure is ideal for the type of stuff you do. 

Perhaps the Sony FS5 with the built in eND

4 hours ago, Jay60p said:

I am also no proffesional but I love taking family videos during travel. X-T3 is almost perfect but like I said exposure stepping, not perfect AF due to lack of subject tracking and some focus hunting, no custom banks for fast switch between photo / video and lack of IBIS (I don't want to always put camera on a gimbal). All those things caused that instead of spending time with family I was constantly fiddlind with gimbal, exposure settings and AF but results were great. Fuji gives great filmic look in my opinion with not much post processing.

I also looked at GH5 or even G9 but the biggest problem is AF. CDAF can pulsate like crazy on the backround and M43 is not perfect for photos. Due to all this I gave up with 4k60 idea and then I am left with Sony A7III with worse 1080p, some moire, bad colors, not perfect white balance and not so good IBIS and with Nikon Z6 which in my opinion gives a sweet spot. Good IBIS, smooth AF although this focusing system is not as polished as Sonys, good colors but the system can be pretty bulky compared to the others. My mind is now blown as I don't know what to choose. Searching for perfect photo/video hybrid leads to serious analysis paralysis.

8 hours ago, FS670ES said:

I don't know what to choose. Searching for perfect photo/video hybrid leads to serious analysis paralysis.

Thats a great line!

OK, using the X-T3 without a lot of fiddling with settings...its not as bad as it sounds.

Here's a way to grab the camera and start shooting quickly with manual exposure & focus to avoid stepping/hunting:

Ahead of time, have the Shutter speed set at 1/60 (for 60p), the auto focus lever at S, the Fuji lens at A (auto), and ISO set at A (auto).

Turn on camera, compose shot, hit AE-L button on camera back with thumb (locks exposure), press shutter button to start recording (does a quick one-time auto focus).

So that is just two quick button presses. The camera sets the aperture and ISO and focus once and then doesn't change it during the rest of the shot.

Outdoors, the depth of field is deep enough to keep a reasonable distance in focus since you typically end up with a F stop over f11. What you can't do is

zoom up, the lens loses its original focus point and your depth of field disappears.

Indoors, in low light the auto focus C, continous, should actually work better than outdoors. From the postings I've seen, people report the hunting problem

develops mostly above f8.

I use my widest angle lenses indoors for depth of field without auto focus. (I have the 18-55 kit lens, and the 10-24mm wide zoom which I love).

Hopefully, this auto focus hunting will be fixed in the next firmware uptdate and this will be old news.