Tripod shot – IS on or off?

kaylee

Guys –

I have to get some shots tomorrow with a locked down camera that is not moving at all, in order to do some double exposure effects in post.

I'm gonna be using my 24-105 IS L f/4

SO....

in my mind there is no reason that IS should be on, and it could possibly create bad results, and that's common knowledge.

TRUE OR FALSE?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon’s Chuck Westfall explains it well:

“The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system’s detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there’s not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic ‘feedback loop,’ somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we’re all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place.”

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I enjoyed IBIS on my old GX85, I really don’t think it was any better than the IS on some Canon lenses.

Can confirm.  It's not.  FWIW, I put the GH5 IS on par with the GX85.

Fuji lens IS is good too.  But then again, with body internal stabilization you can apply it to any and all lenses.

17 hours ago, kaylee said:

Guys –

I have to get some shots tomorrow with a locked down camera that is not moving at all, in order to do some double exposure effects in post.

I'm gonna be using my 24-105 IS L f/4

SO....

in my mind there is no reason that IS should be on, and it could possibly create bad results, and that's common knowledge.

TRUE OR FALSE?

Depends on how stable the tripod is under the conditions you are shooting. If there is strong wind or if there is vibration in the ground you will still need stabilization even when on a tripod, otherwise you will see the vibration in your shots.

Depends on exposure length and how sturdy the tripod is. Anything slower than 1/5 sec, I would turn it off. 1/5 to 1/(focal length) or 1/(2xfocal length) it can help, especially with longer lenses and heads or tripod that my transfer vibration.

if you have a sturdy  tripod, no wind and good technique, mirror up, etc the IS would not help and it could add its own side effects. 

Recently there was something happening maybe a KM from my house but visible (flashing lights and all sorts of things) and so I fired up my 700D 55-250 and ML 3x crop mode on a tripod (120mm equivalent) so we could see better what all the commotion was, and I was surprised at how much the IS was drifting around.

It might have been drifting perhaps 10% of the width of the screen, was going in all directions, and was perhaps moving around at a 2-3 second timeframe.

I was surprised that the lens obviously didn't have the fine sensitivity to detect these movements and correct them, it was like these were rounding errors in its algorithm.

The OP is doing multiple exposures so the images have to be in perfect registration so IS has to be off for this use. Other scenarios may well differ. When I mount my Canon IS lenses on my GH5 I get the choice of using the lens IS or body IS and it's clear that the body IS is doing a much better job for video than the lens IS. I don't shoot stills with my GH5 so it may be different in that situation. Most tripods suffer from 'jitters' when you are using a long lens and there is any breeze around so it's often advantageous to keep IS on in these situations for a locked off shot.The GH5's IS system is pretty amazing esp the dual IS and even more especially the 'IS lock' setting which has in a lot of situations made my tripod redundant.