Jump to content

Tilly Finnilly | Wildlife Mockumentary


Bozzie
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Haha, when she fell I almost pissed myself. Good stuff, Boz. I love how you are using these cameras from yesteryear in your films... very inspiring!!!

I am going to mess around with my eos-m next week. Did you use ML with this short? I want to experiment with the 3x Bitrate and Crop mode. Your profile looks great. So expect a donation. Have you compared your profile to others like Cinestyle or Marvels? I always used Prolost Flat in the past and found it pretty good, so since your profile is based on that but takes it further is very intriguing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/04/2018 at 5:54 PM, mercer said:

Haha, when she fell I almost pissed myself. Good stuff, Boz. I love how you are using these cameras from yesteryear in your films... very inspiring!!!

I am going to mess around with my eos-m next week. Did you use ML with this short? I want to experiment with the 3x Bitrate and Crop mode. Your profile looks great. So expect a donation. Have you compared your profile to others like Cinestyle or Marvels? I always used Prolost Flat in the past and found it pretty good, so since your profile is based on that but takes it further is very intriguing.

Sorry for the late reply. Been out of town! Yeah, laughed my ass off too when she hit the ground :D. Thanks, bud. These little cams have got so much to offer that it's a shame they're discarded like some kind of antique relic from the past. I personally find them more enjoyable and more satisfying to use 

Yep, I used Magic Lantern. My personal setting is 1.3x bitrate. I've found this is to be the best balance between image quality/file sizes for my needs. I don't see the point in creating big file sizes for minimal difference in quality (especially if uploading to YT, Vimeo etc). 

My profile isn't intended to be compared with Cinestyle or Marvel. For me it was more of a case of trying to create something like a -6 contrast option with a smoother transition between shadows and highlights. Pushing the 8bit codec in these Canons just produces muddy/noises images that I personally think is not very pleasing to look at.

You'll def see the difference between Prolost and my profile. It's def worth checking out if you're looking for a little more wiggle room in your image.

-- B

On 27/04/2018 at 3:27 AM, jbCinC_12 said:

Looks good, and on an eos-m.  'scuse my asking, what lens used?

Thanks. I used a Carl Zeiss 25mm prime lens. Ask away, man. I have nothing to hide!

-- B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bozzie said:

Sorry for the late reply. Been out of town! Yeah, laughed my ass off too when she hit the ground :D. Thanks, bud. These little cams have got so much to offer that it's a shame they're discarded like some kind of antique relic from the past. I personally find them more enjoyable and more satisfying to use 

Yep, I used Magic Lantern. My personal setting is 1.3x bitrate. I've found this is to be the best balance between image quality/file sizes for my needs. I don't see the point in creating big file sizes for minimal difference in quality (especially if uploading to YT, Vimeo etc). 

My profile isn't intended to be compared with Cinestyle or Marvel. For me it was more of a case of trying to create something like a -6 contrast option with a smoother transition between shadows and highlights. Pushing the 8bit codec in these Canons just produces muddy/noises images that I personally think is not very pleasing to look at.

You'll def see the difference between Prolost and my profile. It's def worth checking out if you're looking for a little more wiggle room in your image.

-- B

Thanks. I used a Carl Zeiss 25mm prime lens. Ask away, man. I have nothing to hide!

-- B

She popped right up like a trooper and didn’t miss a beat though... good on her!

So, I assume I have to load the picture profile before I change the firmware to ML, right? I used ML on the EOS-M years ago to test Raw, but wasn’t a fan of it on that camera. The bitrate hike may be perfect though. I think the EOS-M already had a slightly higher bitrate than the other Canon cameras of its time, anyway.

Yeah, I’m really just looking for a little more wiggle room. The grades on your website show you can do a lot with it... more than enough. Cinestyle is a bit much, but I always liked Marvels. Definitely looking forward to testing them yours and Marvels... if my stupid job would slow down for a few minutes.

Was that the C-Mount Tevidon 25mm or the M42 25mm? Either way, wicked look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mercer said:

She popped right up like a trooper and didn’t miss a beat though... good on her!

So, I assume I have to load the picture profile before I change the firmware to ML, right? I used ML on the EOS-M years ago to test Raw, but wasn’t a fan of it on that camera. The bitrate hike may be perfect though. I think the EOS-M already had a slightly higher bitrate than the other Canon cameras of its time, anyway.

Yeah, I’m really just looking for a little more wiggle room. The grades on your website show you can do a lot with it... more than enough. Cinestyle is a bit much, but I always liked Marvels. Definitely looking forward to testing them yours and Marvels... if my stupid job would slow down for a few minutes.

Was that the C-Mount Tevidon 25mm or the M42 25mm? Either way, wicked look. 

That's my Niece for you. She laughed and got on with it!

You can install the picture profile with or without ML installed (ML was installed on mine).

Those grades were pretty testing too -- I personally didn't see any noticeable reduction to image quality. Test away, man :)

Nikon F Mount Carl Zeiss 25mm :thumbsup:

-- B

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Bozzie
      DJI Mavic Pro 2 D-LOG Cinematic Color Grade (4K). Grade based on my own LUT with some contrast and highlight mods. Overall, pretty impressed with the image quality. Holds up well to heavy color grading. Kudos to filmmaker @Emmanuel Pampuri for capturing these cinematic shots. 
       
       
    • By Sandeepthefifth
      Hey all, I'm looking to shoot a narrative short film with controlled lighting early next year and am thinking about shooting it on my original BMPCC...
      I know, I know. No 4K, terrible low-light, and horrible battery life. But if 1080p was fine, controlled lighting throughout, and an external battery solution, is it better for me to use the original and cancel my 4K pre-order? I could use the money saved to pay for an additional cine prime/actually pay actors a decent wage...
      What would be the advantages in this case of using the 4K over the original?
    • By Bozzie
      Don't really know anything about this camera in terms of spec. Stumbled on the ungraded footage on John Brawley's website. Thought I'd give it a whirl to see how it holds up ?
       
    • By Bozzie
      Panasonic GH2 + Flowmotion V2.02 Hack. Color Graded to taste. Download my BozGH2Pana_GT Film LUT for Panasonic GH2 Cameras HERE: https://bulentozdemirfilms.wordpress.com/downloads/bozgh2pana-gt-film-lut/
      Music: Ross Bugden - Dawn
       
    • By ulrikjepsen
      Hi,
      Thought i would share a short film, that i have worked on for some time, as the technical side of the production might interest someone here
      You can see the film here. http://www.ekkofilm.dk/shortlist/film/nem-dating/
      There are no subtitles, but the synopsis is this:
      A young high school student gets an after hours job, to pay for a trip around the world with his girlfriend. The job is as a promoter for an online dating site, where he writes to girls there, to keep them as subscribers of the site. One day he realises, that one of the girls are someone close to him, and he tries to make things okay again.
      The film was shot over a week, and we mainly used the GH5. The camera is awesome and i loved the stabilization function, although it sometimes gave us trouble. 
      We where mostly shooting with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for canon and a focal reducer, and as this is an aps-c lens, it vignettede on the GH5. That is not so much of a problem, but when the camera was on a shoulder-mount also, it would counteract the internal image stabilizer, and the vignette would "bounce" around. So we found out to either use the camera handheld og turn the is of. Also we could use the ex teleconverter function, this lessened the vignette somewhat. We also used a canon 24-70 L 2.8 lens, and when using this, there where no problems with the bounching vignette, as it is a full frame lens.
      For lightning we mainly used Yongnuo led light and some Aputures. They worked great, but the aputures are imo a lot better for color reproduction. 
      For sound, we had a Røde ntg1 connected to a Tascam 60d. It was okay, but the ntg1 has a lot of hiss, and really needs to be close to the talent or have a stronger preamp.
      On the tascam, don't use the highest gain option, it's really noisy.
      I picked the Gh5 over an ursa mini pro for the film, as i could set it up more quickly, the battery would last longer and we didn't have to carry so much gear, which was important, as for the most time the crew constisted of myself on camera and directing, a sound-recordist and a gaffer/lightning guy. 
      In the editing fase, we had to tweak the colors a lot, especially skin tones took a lot of time to get right, as they where a bit read of camera. But, as we filmed in v-log 10 bit, it was not a problem. I have also shot 8 bit footage with the camera, and the image falls apart when doing any grading in v-log, and i dont like the other profiles. I have read some people cant see the difference between 10 og 8 bit, and neither can i. But when you grade them, there is a huge difference, i would not use buy the gh5 if it did not have v-log and 10bit.
      In low light i was also supprised how good the image looked, but i am not so afraid of noise. The camera is great in low light, as long as you have a small amount of light on the subject, like a bedside lamp or something. If there is no light, the camera dont look good, but i dont like those kind of images anyway.
      I have attached some images also, but check the film out, as the stills don't do the footage justice.
       
       









×
×
  • Create New...