BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Huge thanks go to A1ex, g3gg0, 1% and the whole Magic Lantern team.

I have no other words to describe it - this is huge news.

Magic Lantern have done the seemingly impossible and given us a continuous raw recording mode on the Canon 5D Mark III. Once activated in the menus the 5D Mark III becomes essentially a full frame Blackmagic Cinema Camera and amazingly mine has not yet exploded. No more short bursts of raw, this is the real thing.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Wait till you see how the original DNGs grade. Here's some! Put them in Photoshop and dial the magenta / green slider back to normal.

http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/5D3-raw-eoshd.zip

And here is one from my 3.5K clip which had a few dropped frames...

http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/5D3-raw-3-5k.zip

I've tried doing raw with the Nikon 1 V1 and the biggest drawback was the workflow. Having to wait hours between image processing and also file transfers was painful.

I would love to see a workflow application that ingests easily the footage, integrates with either Aperture, Lightroom or Resolve for grading, and then prepare all files for editing (Premiere or FCP). i.e you plugin the CF card, you choose the grading, and voilà you let the workflow work for a few hours. You then see at the end all the clips nicely together in Adobe Premiere.

Ok, now I am slightly annoyed that I went D800 for stills + separate video option. :o

the video looks gorgeous.

And of course it proves once and for all that there are no hardware limitations on camera manufacturers giving us raw video, at this level of camera.

There would be huge rewards for the first company to open up camera firmware in the same way apple did with smartphones - but just like apple it would have to come from a company that had no products that it was going to cannibalise sales from.  

Nikon could do this, but they're too conservative I think.  So its down to blackmagic, then. :)  

Oh BMCC, look what you've done!

lol, I guess all i have now is one more stop of DR!  It really does make me wonder if Canon might be behind this, They were finally feeling the heat from the BMCC, and maybe they decided to finally unleash the beast on the 5D3.  I wonder what they will say about this publicly. 

This is great. Can we call it the 5D-C now?

Was about to preorder the bmcc pocketcam guess i will get a couple 1000x cards insted

Thanks Andrew for all your great work and fast updates, i almost spewed my coffee wen i saw those eyes moove !!!!

lol, I guess all i have now is one more stop of DR!  It really does make me wonder if Canon might be behind this, They were finally feeling the heat from the BMCC, and maybe they decided to finally unleash the beast on the 5D3. 

This is great. Can we call it the 5D-C now?

U mad?

of course not! lol

they would instantly kill the C100... Even the C300 or the 1 DC.. why buy a C300 if you can buy at least 3 MKIII with a lot of CF cards???? and have a better image? lol

U mad?

of course not! lol

they would instantly kill the C100... Even the C300 or the 1 DC.. why buy a C300 if you can buy at least 3 MKIII with a lot of CF cards???? and have a better image? lol

For the most part, I don't think pros don't want to mess with hot-rodded cameras. The C300 will still be preferred for it's amazing out of the box IQ and ability to deal with artifacts.  

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. If you are right (and you probably are) Canon may freak out. That'll be fun to watch! :lol:

For the most part, I don't think pros don't want to mess with hot-rodded cameras. The C300 will still be preferred for it's amazing out of the box IQ and ability to deal with artifacts.  

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. If you are right (and you probably are) Canon may freak out. That'll be fun to watch! :lol:

Image... MKII Raw lol...

Yes.. They'll freak out! And of course guys developing that will laugh a lot.

Canon deserves this for lying about tech specs and cripping so badly MKIII...

"this is SPARTA!!!"

lol