Downgrading my gear - Few Questions

Charlie

Hey all,

Im thinking of selling my GH5, Cage, 20mm Pany and Lens Turbo and three Zeiss vintages.

Money is tight right now and I dont get paid for video, furthmore most people watch videos on a mobile bloody phone, not a 50" TV and have no clue what Log is!!!!

I'm thinking of buying maybe the A6000 or A6300 or something in that price range, I like Sony's autofocus when you are shooting at say f1.8. However I am fully aware of the Sony pitfalls.

Back in the day my GH2 was easily good enough to shoot this.....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

If you are dead set on ditching the GH5, I'd cash it out as soon as you can and get a cheap 2nd hand G7 and review again when the Pocket comes out.

The G7 will tide you over nicely and keep you in MFT so you can keep your glass as a hedge for if you go for the Pocket.

If you decide against the pocket you won't have lost hardly anything re-selling the G7.

Especially if you buy it in the UK and sell it in Alicante !

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@zerocool22 I think Charlie said he wants good AF... ?

Spoilsport ;) 

@Charlie

If deciding SPECIFICALLY between the a6300 and the a6000, then you need to ask if you want to shoot 4K or 1080p.

The a6300 for 4K and the a6000 for 1080p.

I own an a5100, an a6000, an a6300 (now deceased) and an a6500.

The 1080p on the a6300 / a6500 is chock full of aliasing, so yo will want to shoot 4K and edit it on a 1080p timeline / output it as 1080p if you WANT 1080p for your final.

The a6300 has S Log, and with an a6300 you have options to use the various EOSHD Procolor for Sony. The a6000 doesn't have s log, and doesn't allow you to use the EOSHD procolor (nor any other color profiles).

The a6000 DOES have what they call creative styles, and I have found that using the portrait creative style on the a6000 and turning down in-camera sharpening and contrast works quite well for the a6000.

The LCD of the a6300 / a6500 is quite reflective, and the screen dims in 4K. a6300 is prone to overheating when shooting 4K. The 4K of the a6300 can be quite nice though.

~~~~~

Having said all this, I would look at what @jonpais said and seriously consider a used G7

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you are dead set on ditching the GH5, I'd cash it out as soon as you can and get a cheap 2nd hand G7 and review again when the Pocket comes out.

The G7 will tide you over nicely and keep you in MFT so you can keep your glass as a hedge for if you go for the Pocket.

If you decide against the pocket you won't have lost hardly anything re-selling the G7.

Spoilsport ;) 

Charlie clearly said he wants to downgrade, not upgrade. ?

The a6000 is a great choice, with better 1080p than its successors, the a6300 and a6500. Slightly sharper and much less moire/aliasing (after firmware update). I also prefer the skintones of it compared to the G7 generation of Panasonic cameras.

just to add on to what @Inazuma mentioned, if rumors are to be believed, the older (and cheaper) a5100 is supposed to have even better 1080p than the a6000. I don't think it has as good af as a6000, and it doesn't have a mic input. It does have a flippy-up screen though if you are in to vlogging. Doesn't have as many buttons as a6000 so more stuff is done in the menu system. I actually own one of them as well!!! (I just forgot that I own it) I bought mine for about $150 used off of craigslist. Mine was an international version, meaning that you can set it to ntsc and it records perfectly fine, just every time you turn on the camera you get a warning on the LCD that the camera is set to NTSC.

For audio for the a5100, you will either need to:

1) use built in mics, or

2) use external recorder and sync, or

3) Use one of the Sony mics that  mount in the hot shoe and take advantage of the multi interface feature of the hotshoe.

As mentioned above, a6000 has a mic jack but no headphone out.

Just keep the GH5, is a good hybrid and it has lost a lot of resale value already, so no need to worry about that! Sell everything except the 20mm, and buy a cheap kit, or the 12-60, and call it a day. You are covered from 24-120mm and you have a modern camera to take you to the 2020s easily.

The a6XXX cameras are some of the worst cameras I have use in my life, nothing I liked about them (maybe the 18-105 lens, pretty cool for the price and nice stabilization) but if you go for cheap, then the a6000 is ok for casual photo and a little bit of video. If you want 4K, then the a6300, but the 1080p is really bad, and soon you will get bored of their amateur-ish nature and shortcomings, especially in hot hot Southern Spain!

I do not know about the lesser Panasonics, as I have only used the GH series.

EDIT: also, as you go up the chain (from a6000 to a6500) as well as just keep the GH5, because the a6500 aren't that cheap either, and you have to check lenses prices.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Spoilsport ;) 

I only have one MFT lens, the rest are old vintage zeiss so I'm not tied to the MFT system

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Just to add on to what @Inazuma mentioned, if rumors are to be believed, the older (and cheaper) a5100 is supposed to have even better 1080p than the a6000

This was true at launch for each. 

As a5100 had XAVCS and a6000 didn't   

But later the a6000 got a firmware update for XAVCS

Oh and btw just like many Sony mirorless the a5100 overheats easily. 

Just get a cheap G7 (or Maybe G80 for the IBIS) while you wait for a BMPCC4K. Once you consider the license price of Resolve, it is the same price as the original BMPCC!

IMG_0663.JPG

I don't think the Sony a6000 has a mic input. It has a smart hot shoe which allows their specific hot shoe mics to fit in. But there is also no way to control the mic levels either. You'll have to do some research but I seem to recall this. So if on-board audio is necessary then the a6000 won't fit your needs. Otherwise I think it does. It's cheap. Has good cheap lenses with good AF. Just an easy camera to use with decent image (not the best or worst) quality. 

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Just keep the GH5, is a good hybrid and it has lost a lot of resale value already, so no need to worry about that! Sell everything except the 20mm, and buy a cheap kit, or the 12-60, and call it a day. You are covered from 24-120mm and you have a modern camera to take you to the 2020s easily.

The a6XXX cameras are some of the worst cameras I have use in my life, nothing I liked about them (maybe the 18-105 lens, pretty cool for the price and nice stabilization) but if you go for cheap, then the a6000 is ok for casual photo and a little bit of video. If you want 4K, then the a6300, but the 1080p is really bad, and soon you will get bored of their amateur-ish nature and shortcomings, especially in hot hot Southern Spain!

I do not know about the lesser Panasonics, as I have only used the GH series.

EDIT: also, as you go up the chain (from a6000 to a6500) as well as just keep the GH5, because the a6500 aren't that cheap either, and you have to check lenses prices.

i'm broke!!! :bawling:

@IronFilm

Thanks for the clarifications about the codec upgrade and the overheating problem of the a5100.

Yeah, I think for most sane people, a used panasonic would fit the bill.

Wondering what the DR will be like of the new BMPCC4K when it is released.

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

I don't think the Sony a6000 has a mic input. It has a smart hot shoe which allows their specific hot shoe mics to fit in. But there is also no way to control the mic levels either. You'll have to do some research but I seem to recall this. So if on-board audio is necessary then the a6000 won't fit your needs. Otherwise I think it does. It's cheap. Has good cheap lenses with good AF. Just an easy camera to use with decent image (not the best or worst) quality. 

Well... I am a fountain of misinformation today. You are correct; no mic jack. Just a usb jack and a micro hdmi jack.  (Just checked on my a6000)

I can say with (almost) absolute certainty that the a6000 does have the multi-interface shoe that allows for one to plug a sony mic into the hotshoe.

After a brief search of SOLD cameras on ebay in the usa, looks like:

Used G7 body only starts around $500

Used a6000 body only starts around $375

Used a5100 with 16-50 kit lens starts around $225.

This was a quick search on the SOLD listings so please don't quote me on this.

Hope this is helpful. Apologies in advance if it isn't.

I briefly had the a5100 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, shortly after I bought it, I believed that the future was 4K, so I went 4K... I’m back to 1080p now. I recently watched a bunch of short films with the a6000 and they looked amazing.

If you don’t mind a 1” sensor, the RX10 I and II are both very capable cameras. But if you don’t mind a 1” camera sensor, then you can probably get a good deal on the original Pocket camera pretty soon.

Good luck. I love these threads when people realize that a lot of these specs are nonsense in the world we live in.