Final Cut ProRes RAW

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/8/2018 at 4:25 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is half the reason a Red camera is so damn expensive is their proprietary crap. When I think about it they are a bigger Horses Ass than Sony LoL.

One of the reasons I love Kinefinity! They've got their ecosystem as open as possible, compared to RED.

Use any batteries you like in their Kinegrip, use any media you like to record to, etc

On 5/3/2018 at 7:24 AM, Don Kotlos said:

Here is an illustration with some footage from FS5. It looks great. 

ProRes 4K Raw with the FS700 is what really tempts me in

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

One of the reasons I love Kinefinity! They've got their ecosystem as open as possible, compared to RED.

Use any batteries you like in their Kinegrip, use any media you like to record to, etc

ProRes 4K Raw with the FS700 is what really tempts me in

I am not taking up for Red, well I guess I am, but the main reason they went proprietary was with the RED MINI-MAG. At the time there were a lot of SSD drives floating around on ebay, and half of them were total crap knock offs. So I guess Red got with somebody, Samsung? I don't know who and only used quality known drives in their Red Mags. That was the start of the charge 5 times or more what they cost thing. But the knock offs were terrible at times. Just total junk.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:16 AM, BenEricson said:

It is insane how bad Sony footage can look. The iPhone renders colors much better.

I’d like to see you shoot a series as extraordinarily beautiful as Sense8 with an iPhone. John Toll chose the FS5 for that show. 

On 7/27/2018 at 6:01 AM, Robert Collins said:

Until watching this video, it hadnt really occurred to me that ProRes Raw might not actually be raw at all.....

It's not RAW the way photo cameras use the term: lossless linear camera data. It's the same story with Redcode Raw, Canon RawLite, and Blackmagic's compressed Raw. They realized that compressing before debayering allows them to pack more meaningful data in smaller files, with the caveat that the user is required to debayer the files later. And, naturally, they call it raw because they want people to confuse it with actual RAW camera data.

22 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’d like to see you shoot a series as extraordinarily beautiful as Sense8 with an iPhone. John Toll chose the FS5 for that show. 

I’m sure it can look great, but that example looked really bad, every characteristic of why I hated the fs700 image. 

Sense 8 was shot with the F55, not FS5. Id like to John still shoot a series as beautiful with the FS5 :)

”Camera: Sony F-55
Lens: Zeiss Ultra Prime lenses, and Fujinon 19-90 zoom lenses”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2017/08/emmy-2017-camera-nominated-cinematographers-1201868305/amp/

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I’m sure it can look great, but that example looked really bad, every characteristic of why I hated the fs700 image. 

Sense 8 was shot with the F55, not FS5. Id like to John still shoot a series as beautiful with the FS5 :)

”Camera: Sony F-55
Lens: Zeiss Ultra Prime lenses, and Fujinon 19-90 zoom lenses”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2017/08/emmy-2017-camera-nominated-cinematographers-1201868305/amp/

? and I just bought a new pair of glasses!

On 7/29/2018 at 7:16 AM, jonpais said:

I'm sure you mean the F55 and not the FS5

As there is a MASSIVE difference between the two.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?356731-Sense-8

Edit: gah, I replied too soon.... as Ben pointed out. 

This is also why some people prefer to write them easy as Fs-5 vs F-55, so as to make the difference crystal clear. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm sure you mean the F55 and not the FS5

As there is a MASSIVE difference between the two.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?356731-Sense-8

Edit: gah, I replied too soon.... as Ben pointed out. 

This is also why some people prefer to write them easy as Fs-5 vs F-55, so as to make the difference crystal clear. 

I believe @BenEricson just noted that, thank you very much.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, Robert Collins said:

Until watching this video, it hadnt really occurred to me that ProRes Raw might not actually be raw at all.....

Chart Apple, arrows me.....

That's interesting to me as well, not because of Prores RAW, but because it's a positive reflection for Slog2.

AJA tried and failed. 

BMD did so successfully.

So there is a mixed record of recorder manufacturers getting into the camera business by adding on a sensor to their recorders. 

And the market is much more competitive now than when BMD started out!