Jump to content
Dave Maze

Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, frontfocus said:

and Sony fixes their mistakes by pushing out a new camera, is this really the way people prefer?

No. If manufacturers would instead build better cameras from the start with longer support cycles I believe most people wouldn't feel the urge (as much) to replace it with something new and shiny. The tech blogs/journalists do not help. At the end of the day they're not your pal. 

Not to sound hypocritical but I've picked up the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k not because it was a camera that as released in 2017, but because I like what it has to offer my workflow and ultimately the image is is priority one for me. I will end up sticking with it for a good while and learn how to get the most out of it despite newer models sure to be released and other new cameras hitting the scene too. Oh well.

This philosophy is better for the consumer, but not so great for the manufacturer who needs to keep rolling in that dough cycle after cycle. But I don't care about them more than I care about my own needs, and neither should anyone else unless they own stock in a particular company. These companies have no shortage of profits. They don't need anyone's charity. 

This very thread is a prime example of the negativity that comes from fanboying way too hard over something that's only trying to meet a small niche. People end up placing more importance in things rather than each other, when in any other circumstance that wouldn't be the case. Even though no one likes being reminded (or preached to) of that it's important to stay grounded and focus on what truly matters in life. I doubt anyone on their deathbed was like, "Damnit, I should have gone with the Fuji".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

And given that this is a Fuji thread I will say that the A7iii can go suck it. I would never say that in a Sony thread, but here I can say it.

That’s probably the greatest single endorsement for Sony I can think of. Much more sincere and meaningful than all those sickly sponsored Sony fanboys who actually handled and tested the camera under an extraordinarily wide variety of conditions most of us could never hope to do with our limited  resources. And as a matter of fact, the a7r III, which shares much of the DNA of the a7 III, has been tested extensively and has received overwhelmingly positive reviews. And as far as updates go, I’d much rather have a built-in headphone jack, 2-1/2 hour battery life, the ability to shoot full frame or APS-C mode, zebras and the best eye autofocus in the industry than some firmware tweaks in the uncertain future. And just to correct some more falsehoods of yours, Panasonic has indeed released some very significant firmware updates to their GH5. Let’s not resort to lying when all it takes is a Google search to prove you wrong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jonpais said:

 Let’s not resort to lying when all it takes is a Google search to prove you wrong there.

Then why did you just make up a lie about me?

And BTW, Im not afraid to admit that Im a bit of a Sony Fanboy. The A7x is one of my go to cameras, and has been for years. But that doesn't mean Im gonna swallow that promo material without questions. And it doesn't mean Im gonna give in to the hype before people actually have used the camera.
You can buy what ever you like, don't care one bit.
I will stick with my Sony, but I will also stick with my opinion that Sony is the worst company ever when it comes to firmware support. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who’s lying about what, Mr. @Mattias Burling ?

You remind me of someone else who was trying to organize a boycott of BH while at the same time saying he’d continue to do business with them.

14 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Wouldn't worry about it. This is Fuji we're talking about. Not only do they fix things they will also ad additional features via firmware.

Panasony and Canikon could learn a thing or two from them. After using Blackmagic, Bolex and Fuji one can easily become a bit spolied with solid updates and fixes.

It’s ridiculous how well Panasonic cameras work with virtually no bugs whatsoever. Not saying none, but silly few. Fuji’s got a dozen with every release. Buying a Fuji means being a beta tester. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.......back to it for those interested in the X-H1..

Couple of further relevant experiences:

1.) Rollin' shutter in 4K 24p. This is completely anecdotal and not measured/timed, though I can imagine some might think this is an issue for moderate speed switching of angles etc. i.e. It's certainly noticeable if not handled with care

2.) Memory cards are an issue, certainly with the 200Mbits/s recording. Whilst my Lexar Professional x1000 cards seem to work fine for short periods, they also cause abrupt stops to recording every so often. Probably wise to follow (expensive) fuji recommended SD card guidance here (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing how this is the beginning for Fujifilms video endeavours I think it’s ok and it will get sorted. 

The X100 and X-Pro 1 has abysmal autofocus and plenty firmware problems in the beginning. Today I would argue that the X-Pro 1 represents amazing value second hand. It was updated into a really excellent camera over the years.

My X-Pro 2 has had its AF system updated twice since it came out. 

The X-H1 again has a new system with far more detecting areas and, with optimisation, should be far more reliable and faster than the already good XT2/Xpro2.

It is true that early adopters perhaps shouldn’t be beta testers but it’s tough competition. The excellent Hasselblad X1D had plenty of problems in the beginning but I think most has been fixed through updates. They could have released it a year later but the camera still worked, one could still make pictures with it. I think with this sort of cycle there is a choice. 

Im trouble by all the bloggers that  shout for an articulated screen. Of course it’s good if you’re a vlogger. For me it would be a deal breaker, I can’t stand those screens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, even if it recorded DCI 4K 10-bit at 800Mbps to dual UHS II cards, had clean 240 fps and variable ND filters, a flippy screen would be a deal breaker for me too. Let’s get real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Castorp said:

Seeing how this is the beginning for Fujifilms video endeavours I think it’s ok and it will get sorted. 

The X100 and X-Pro 1 has abysmal autofocus and plenty firmware problems in the beginning. Today I would argue that the X-Pro 1 represents amazing value second hand. It was updated into a really excellent camera over the years.

My X-Pro 2 has had its AF system updated twice since it came out. 

The X-H1 again has a new system with far more detecting areas and, with optimisation, should be far more reliable and faster than the already good XT2/Xpro2.

It is true that early adopters perhaps shouldn’t be beta testers but it’s tough competition. The excellent Hasselblad X1D had plenty of problems in the beginning but I think most has been fixed through updates. They could have released it a year later but the camera still worked, one could still make pictures with it. I think with this sort of cycle there is a choice. 

Im trouble by all the bloggers that  shout for an articulated screen. Of course it’s good if you’re a vlogger. For me it would be a deal breaker, I can’t stand those screens. 

Sure enough, but would it be too much to ask for a functioning remote app that recorded at a resolution higher than 720p? Unless that would be a deal breaker for you too, like @Mattias Burling , who stated that he was happy we can’t shoot 4K with the Fuji remote app. In fact, the single most remarkable feature of the X-H1 that distinguishes it from its predecessor, the X-T2, is IBIS - something which our resident genius has pretty much said he doesn’t care about at all. And hard as I try, I can’t seem to wrap my head around why, with a significantly larger body, Fuji couldn’t have gone with a larger battery and a headphone jack. The a7 III is smaller and has both. I’m guessing here, but perhaps that $400 extra you pay for the battery grip is going towards all those amazing firmware updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Who’s lying about what, Mr. @Mattias Burling ?

There is your lie about me in black and white for everyone to read. Nowhere have I ever said that Panasonic never issued a firmware update. Thats just something you made up. Now please just let it go so this thread can stay on track for once. 
Just because I don't like the same things like you doesn't mean that you are an idiot. It just means that we have different opinions. 

1 hour ago, Castorp said:

My X-Pro 2 has had its AF system updated twice since it came out. 

And it got 4K which is a pretty sweet bonus imo :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panasonic are on their 6th GH release that they've been working on improving for the past 10 years. It's a video-oriented product & they also have a pro video department to work with..

Fujifilm is a stills oriented camera maker with X-H1 being their second serious attempt at video on a hybrid camera. They're essentially newbies to the playing-field.

Personally, i think they've done remarkably well considering this context and they are known to not abandon their cameras which is always reassuring (indeed what other company adds 4k to a camera 2 years down the line... and for free?!).

That being said if you want to stay on the safe side, it's always good to wait until a company irons out bugs before jumping on first or second gen products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

And it got 4K which is a pretty sweet bonus imo :)

While that's true, you can't change settings like shadows, highlights, sharpness, so it's a bonus with a bitter taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

While that's true, you can't change settings like shadows, highlights, sharpness, so it's a bonus with a bitter taste.

I guess, if thats something one needed. On Fuji I always shot in default since there is so much information in both shadows and highlights which are easily brought back. Looking at the waveform from a Fuji clip (any PP is fine) one can easily see it.
The shadows/highlights settings doesn't really do anything different. And a quick drag-n-drop in post on all clips takes two seconds.

But I agree, having the option would have been great. The more the merrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reviews have been virtually unanimous in proclaiming the a7 III one of the best values in mirrorless cameras today. And viewers of Tony Northrup’s channel, who number nearly one million subscribers, agreed with his assessment of Sony’s prodigious little camera almost 10-1. Not like the echo chamber here.

7 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

While that's true, you can't change settings like shadows, highlights, sharpness, so it's a bonus with a bitter taste.

precisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Django said:

That being said if you want to stay on the safe side, it's always good to wait until a company irons out bugs before jumping on first or second gen products.

Out of likes, this is the best advice so far today. Hype and new releases are never gonna be the way to reliability.
If one really wants good video, a video camera might be even better ;)

(haven't watched Tonys video but I did glance at all the hate the video got since the response videos about it got more viral than his review. I wonder if the A7iii is the new NX1 which will be brought up like a broken record in every single thread.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I guess, if thats something one needed. On Fuji I always shot in default since there is so much information in both shadows and highlights which are easily brought back. Looking at the waveform from a Fuji clip (any PP is fine) one can easily see it.
The shadows/highlights settings doesn't really do anything different. And a quick drag-n-drop in post on all clips takes two seconds.

But I agree, having the option would have been great. The more the merrier.

Wrong again. Highlights/shadows is not merely an adornment - it actually does something. Just ask the engineers at Fuji - oh wait, you’re the expert on such matters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Reviews have been virtually unanimous in proclaiming the a7 III one of the best values in mirrorless cameras today. And viewers of Tony Northrup’s channel, who number nearly one million subscribers, agreed with his assessment of Sony’s prodigious little camera almost 10-1. Not like the echo chamber hete.

precisely.

Sorry but Tony Northrup is a sell-out and has been called out for his once again ridiculous claims..

the other Vegas youtubers have also been called out for flat out lies:

don't believe the hype!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Just ask the engineers at Fuji - oh wait, you’re the expert on such matters!

I didn't know you worked as an expert at Fuji? Thats cool. 

In order to try stay on topic, don't know if its already posted:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...