Your Nikon mirrorless wishes

Inazuma

23 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have a memory about them not carring about paying for prores either.

Actually I think it was just a case of them being premature in announcing it? Or there being some kind of lag in getting listed by Apple.

15 hours ago, noone said:

The more I use clear zoom for Jpeg stills and video with Sony, the more I hope Nikon (and Canon) does something similar IE a virtually lossless variable digital zoom up to 2x.

All Nikon FX cameras that I know of have also have a DX mode as well, which works for stills and video recording. 

Very different to Canon's approach which is to actively discourage you from using EF-S lens!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is different to just having DX mode.

I agree about Canon and APSC lenses (which work on Sony FF and M43 cameras with adapters easier than Canon FF DSLRs).

I don't understand why Sony seems to be the only one who has digital zoom as being variable.      The FF Sony's have APSC and FF modes and also use variable digital zoom (either to 2x as Clear image zoom which is excellent or as normal digital zoom which is not so great over 2x but still better than nothing).

Panasonic ETC is great but it is frustrating to me that it isn't variable.     

It isn't available for RAW stills but for Jpegs works well and the same for video. ( I also don't understand why more people don't use it for video).

At the cricket over the weekend, 300mm 2.8 was not anywhere close to long enough for me and while I had a real 2x converter with me, I preferred to use clear zoom with my old ancient manual focus Tamron.

DSC09133.jpg

@noone that is no true. Samsung has the option to go X1.2, X1.4, X1.7 and X2 years and years ago. I usually put this on the Fn button on the lens (settings put on that button, you can cycle through a lot, are changed by the turn of the focus ring), so I can change the setting without taking my eye from the viewfinder. Admittedly, have no clue how good, or bad, this works, but for amateur photos I do (photography is just a hobby for me), and with the 28megapixles APS-C BSI sensor, it's ok.

@EthanAlexander JVC LS300, has REAL Variable zoom, that one can control with the zoom rocker!

But the Samsung version isn't fully variable is it?     Not like using a zoom and stopping at any position and going back and forth at will?      Lots of cameras have digital zoom at one or two positions for stills (does it work seamlessly for video?).

With Sony, I set it to be turned on via the down button  and then use the left/right buttons to zoom in and out. (hit the down button just after starting video even if I don't use it).      I have mostly only been using it hand held and unstabilized so the video jumps around a bit while zooming but if stabilized and/or tripod mounted, it looks ok.

It works as well in APSC mode too.

It IS real variable zoom when set to a button that allows it.       The E mount Sony APSC kit lens I had also had variable digital zoom for part of its range (in addition to optical zoom) but I think I prefer the clear image zoom way to that too.

This was from Sunday morning.     Hand held through a hole in a metal gate with a Canon 17mm f4 L Tilt shift lens shifted a fair bit (I was taking stills and on the spur of the moment used it for video).     I only had it at about 1.4x for stills and so started there.     I posted a couple of screen grabs from this in the Lens thread.

1.4x zoom.mp4

Edit:   Here is an old lame test I did of the Canon FD 24 1.4 L used as a zoom at 1.4 I think.

13 hours ago, noone said:

This is different to just having DX mode.

Ah yes, I'm not saying it is the same as clear digital zoom. Just point out Nikon is closer to it than Canon ;-)

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@EthanAlexander JVC LS300, has REAL Variable zoom, that one can control with the zoom rocker!

Niiiiiiiiice! Didn't realise it was controlled by the zoom rocker. But that makes sense, is nifty.

13 hours ago, Dustin said:

Anyone see the Nikon rumors article about it having two af motors and they showed a patent Nikon filed.

Interesting:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/22/nikons-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-is-rumored-to-have-two-electric-af-motors.aspx/

Was thinking they might have both an old kind and a new kind to keep backwards compatibility. (which seems quite important to Nikon)

• 2 months later...

Nikon has filed a patent for a mirrorless mount:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/04/the-latest-nikon-patents-13.aspx/

image.thumb.png.80125b22ede2722e866288ccf80a4c87.png

image.png.3231be57259fc27d8e27ba4b4d6f0f4b.png

These are interesting too:

→ Nikon has a patent (P6237045) for an image sensor equipped with ADC (analog-to-digital converter) on each pixel.

image.png.c2f5219656f6ffb378988330c443b022.png

→ Another Nikon patent (P6264284) describes on-sensor phase detection system using a quad-pixel array.

image.png.db736e1f63d822c43c8d2aec92544513.png

36 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

What's special about medium format color and why you think its not achievable by 14bit raw? 

It's 16 bit, trillions of colors, less banding, better output grading it, etc. Overkill yes, but if you are a Pro every edge you have might land more jobs, more money.

29 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

What's special about medium format color and why you think its not achievable by 14bit raw? 

I'm in no way saying I need it. I'm just guessing that Nikon will go for improving the image quality in some way with the new sensor patent. True 16-bit files slightly better for post work and color. 14-bit is plenty, but Nikon need a selling point and this could be one of them for the camera.