The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Russell! I did email him but he is really out. He has some test diopters left but they are a higher strength. I was looking at the Angenieux you picked up off of Ebay. They look nice!

Cheers!

​I emailed Alan on May 20 and he found one 82mm 0.25 achromatic a bit dusty. He didnt know he had it.

It was over my budget so i didnt continue, but maybe youre lucky and its still available,

Yeah, they are nice glass.  Mounting them is an issue still and at the moment the plan is likely to superglue a 95mm thread onto the back.  Not elegant but I have a project to shoot soon and there isn't time to keep screwing around with filters much longer.  I did negotiate a little discount on them since they weren't as described but I'd honestly have been a lot happier if they'd just been 95 and simple.

I spent months hustling before I worked something out with redstan, and spent another month sourcing about 20 different parts to buy the diopter in trade, so I feel your pain!

I have been in fractional diopter Ebay and google hell. I'm looking for a +0.25 diopter or close up lens in either 72mm, 77mm or 82mm for my Baby Hypergonar.

​Why you need a large size diopter for the baby hypergonar?
You drink milk from a bottle-feeding or what?:D

These are the only know ones to me and all are hidden deep within the Earth. Any body have any leads to getting one? Is there one off my list?

​Yes

Voigtlander 347/41 40.5mm PL 4-2m 13-6.5 feet

$19.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-VOIGTLANDER-40-5mm-PORTRAIT-LENS-90-DAY-WARRANTY-EXCELLENT-PLUS-/371208822035

;)

​Why you need a large size diopter for the baby hypergonar?You drink milk from a bottle-feeding or what?:D

​Yes

Voigtlander 347/41 40.5mm PL 4-2m 13-6.5 feet

$19.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-VOIGTLANDER-40-5mm-PORTRAIT-LENS-90-DAY-WARRANTY-EXCELLENT-PLUS-/371208822035

;)

40mm is too small a little bit.  I got Hasselblad B57 filter, rehousing to 52mm~55mm, Ex+ optics.  For using with smaller  anamorphic lens such as Eiki 16F is perfect.

Mmmm.. do you think these diopters will fit the baby? im not sure about what is its front diameter. Does anybody know?

I got the Voitglander PL on he way. It's a 40.5mm thread. I think the Zeiss are 28.5mm which does seem too small. I'm gonna try a 40.5 to 72mm step up ring and hope for the best. 

• 3 weeks later...

New old stock! $100 - 5 sets left. I got one.

Rare NOS ANGENIEUX CLOSE UP LENS DIOPTER Set For Angenieux 12-120mm 10-150 Zoom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281753923609

Angenieux +0.25? - 82mm thread. I could be wrong and no.1 is about +1,25 and the no.2 is about +2 ***?

No vignetting & very little CA, if any. Its a singlet, so it will only sharpen up the image a little (not as much as a doublet). As you can see it gives me the full focus range on the Isco 54, which was unexpected - Bioskop.Inc

The same as the one used in this test, I hope. It would be interesting to know how this would work  in front of SRL Magic Range finder, which has 82mm front thread.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I found the cheapest way to get a 72mm +0.5 diopter filter lens, which is less than $20.

Bought a Tamron Close Up Adapter for 28-200mm Lens and a 72mm uv filter, $0.99--the cheapest one.  Through out the UV filter's glass and replace with the Tamron glass, which is easy to take apart.  Their size fits perfectly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Alan on May 20 and he found one 82mm 0.25 achromatic a bit dusty. He didnt know he had it.

It was over my budget so i didnt continue, but maybe youre lucky and its still available,

Thanks Premini! I emailed him and I'm now a very happy owner of the Redstan +0.25 Doublet. A real gem! Only 8 made. Sharpness and flare are incredible. 

I'm excited about the SRL Magic rangefinder for my baby Hypergonar set up but It's still gonna be important to use achromatic doublets to get optimal image quality from the anamorphic at close range.

I stack two Tokina +0.4 Achromatic diopters with a Marumi DHG Achromat Macro Close Up 330 (+3) 72mm and get really nice images. The image I attached was with this setup.

The Marumi is very nice and not much money compared to the others. The Polaroid Close - Up 500D is nice and cheap!

20207377304_1ab56123b0_h.jpg

I do think that Redstan has two low power diopters left. A +0.6 and +0.45 and I think they are worth the cost to achieve optimal image quality for your anamorphic at a midrange to close up range. You get what you pay for and if you want the best optics for your anamorphic lens then send him an email. I will do a test later to show you the quality of the Redstan achromatic doublet. The sharpness and flare is incredible. With the 82mm size, it would be interesting to see how this cleans the image and works in front on the SRL Magic Rangefinder. 

Hi Ian, i read the pdf file and says

Focusing range: Infinity (°°)-13 ft (4m); 13 ft—7.5 ft (2.3m) with the close-up attachment lens  

Isnt it 0.5?

I'm sorry for the fuzzy math. I'm not really sure what the correct strength would be. I'm gonna need to use my lifeline to ask the audience. 

Hi Ian, i read the pdf file and says

Focusing range: Infinity (°°)-13 ft (4m); 13 ft—7.5 ft (2.3m) with the close-up attachment lens  

Isnt it 0.5?

There is one on Ebay for $100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82mm-Nikon-Close-Up-lens-for-Nikon-Zoom-Nikkor-AI-200-600-F9-5-lens-/331610857380?hash=item4d358c1fa4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Inspired by Tito and Bold and their anamorphic Lens-cyclopedia, I decided to try and make a list of low power diopters useful for anamorphic video. Using the info in this thread and searching on the web, I compiled a list which may be useful for anyone looking for suitable diopters.

I've attached the list as PDF. Feel free to comment and/or correct. The list may (hopefully) end up as an add-on to the online Lens-cyclopedia.

Diopters.pdf