Andrew Reid

Magic Lantern Raw Video

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Btw, if you like that 25mm, I’m pretty sure the Contax version is the same optical formula, just with better coatings.

And if you like the Zeiss Jena, East German lenses, you have to try the 35mm 2.4 and the 50mm 2.8. What they lacked in quality control, they surely made up in image quality. 

Good to know! May look into it as I really like the 25mm look owning a 7Artisans 25mm.

I own the zeiss Jena tessar 50mm f2.8. Very nice character indeed. Though it's just slow for a 50mm. 

Heard good things about the 35mm f2.4, but whenever I get a medium/wide lens, I'm somewhat forced to get the equivalent brand 50mm. I've already owned the pancolar 50mm but find it a little saturated like Jena tessars and not as organic as the contax zeiss line. 

Never tried the Rollei Zeiss QBM Mount, wondering if they allow for infinity focus with EF Adapters or EF Mount. Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have there been any recent improvements with the live view? I haven't shot any ML raw in almost a year, but I check in to this forum every once in a while because I do miss it; I just couldn't get past how hard it was to focus with live view the way it was on the EOS-M.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:28 AM, mercer said:

No, not without an external recorder. But with the experimental build and 14 Bit Lossless, file sizes are dramatically smaller without any loss in quality. Also if you use MLVFS file system for post, the files open up in Resolve without any transcoding to DNGs. The whole process is really quite simple now.

Honestly, all Zeiss lenses, I’ve tested, work great with ML Raw. I’ve tested Rollei Zeiss, Contax Zeiss and the ZF Classics.

Although, the newer ZF versions are a bit sharper, I prefer the West German made Rollei Zeiss. I find they have the perfect mix of sharpness, color separation and character with my 5D3.

Here’s a frame from the 50mm 1.8...

59E98EF8-88DC-410D-84E8-FA88849FD77F.thumb.jpeg.86893637d2d77b50a8af6c4041b0a9db.jpeg

And here’s a frame from the 25mm 2.8...

EC5FF8F8-EC19-4688-B04A-619D7A30BC1E.thumb.jpeg.b263b71e7b50024e63b4877679710b02.jpeg

Hey Mercer

thanks for the reply

I’ve been exporting pro res files to resolve using  Ilia’s app

is that right?

5 hours ago, odie said:

Hey Mercer

thanks for the reply

I’ve been exporting pro res files to resolve using  Ilia’s app

is that right?

I use the MLV App, if I quickly want to get my footage into FCPX but if I want to go through Resolve to FCPX, or use Resolve, I use MLVFS...

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

Basically, MLVFS is an on the fly CDNG converter. Resolve will recognize the .mlv files from your 5D3 as .cdng files so you can use the Raw Panel in Resolve and save a conversion step.

I recently filmed a vacation video with my EOSm and enjoyed it, but now I'm home and I've noticed a whole load of banding all over my footage. I've never seen it in other things I've filmed with the camera, and I don't feel like I've pushed the grade any more than normal, and I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. In fact, you can see it in the ungraded screengrab!

I've attached some screen grabs to show you what I mean.

WORKFLOW:

1080p rewire 25p (I think 12bit)

Use MLVapp to do minor adjustment and convert to Arri Logc then export as ProRes. I also bring it up to 4k from MLVapp.

Banding_01.thumb.jpg.9ccb21fbcf56690ebf3ccb0adf29809e.jpgBanding_02.thumb.jpg.3bbe6ca0b359f71b2ce06265eee135d9.jpg

If it helps, here's my settings in MLVApp:

1175977088_Screenshot2019-09-11at11_36_19.thumb.png.b1f7d27a6cbb56387660be3f773d12c5.png 

On 8/29/2019 at 11:53 AM, Anaconda_ said:

You can shoot 1080 raw in real time colour live view. Anything other than that is jerky and low res.  I can’t use it at all and only shoot 1080 with mine. It scales up pretty nicely though. 

This is also properly scaled? Last time I used it it was either choppy/B&W (but properly scaled) or smooth/color (but cropped in, and not even center cropped at that). This has improved?

9 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

This is also properly scaled? Last time I used it it was either choppy/B&W (but properly scaled) or smooth/color (but cropped in, and not even center cropped at that). This has improved?

1080 MCM Rewire is properly scaled, realtime in colour. Any higher resolutions have choppy B&W or cropped view on the LCD. For me, it's too difficult to use and trust the outcome.

Update to my banding issue above. In MLVApp, I switched from Arri Log-c to Film and that fixed my problem... I then used @ZEEK rec709 to Logc lut in MLVApp to convert it back to the log(ish) footage that I wanted in the first place. Thanks for the LUT!

On 11/20/2019 at 5:51 AM, Anaconda_ said:

can you get realtime preview with correct framing at 2.5k? I'm having a hard time getting it to work

Not with realtime preview no. I can get correct framing but it will be a little laggy. 2.5K is in my opinion the best mode to use on the EOS M, I'll do a video about it, how to set it up, framing, and the other stuff very soon on YT. If it's not working for you, you can go into the ML Settings and reset ML Configuration to start fresh with ML Settings.