GH5 tips tricks and questions only

Orangenz

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Does Natural really have nicer color and rolloff? Because in my tests, Natural has a strong reddish cast and harsh contrast when compared to Cinelike D... just wondering.

On the GH5 it does have way more natural, cooler reds, warmer greens, basically very Canon like without the magenta cast, while Cinelike D pulls everything towards orange and yellows to green.
The rolloff is way better, no harsh clipping at all, especially noticeable with white clothing, walls etc, but it looses some detail in highlights due to that. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, deezid said:

On the GH5 it does have way more natural, cooler reds, warmer greens, basically very Canon like without the magenta cast, while Cinelike D pulls everything towards orange and yellows to green.
The rolloff is way better, no harsh clipping at all, especially noticeable with white clothing, walls etc, but it looses some detail in highlights due to that. 

The rolloff is better because every picture profile has a knee built into the s curve at the top with the exception of cinelike d. i think the standard camera profiles produces better color and gives consistent results. I prefer Cinelike D because there isn't a knee built into the profile and it is compatible with so many LUTs like filmconvert and visioncolor impulz which generally give great results and help get rid of that Panasonic greenish yellow look. Cinelike D with ettr to  90-95 zebras gives me the best highlight rolloff on every Panasonic body I've used it with at the expense of some noise.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Recently, he's also recommending reducing saturation by -2.

gonna try -2 saturation the next time I shoot with it. I've been shooting with everything at default except -5 sharpness and -5 noise reduction since tampering with those color & contrast settings seem to wreck havoc with cinelike d. Exposing cinelike d properly probably has more of an impact on the image than the saturation settings

@jonpais that looks really good SOOC and the reds dont  clip...hmmm -2 saturation maybe worth a shot. You think there is anyway to get rid of that yellow color cast IN camera ? Maybe Pana bodies need to be white balanced to be a bit cooler than what would be considered accurate white balance

18 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@jonpais that looks really good SOOC and the reds dont  clip...hmmm -2 saturation maybe worth a shot. You think there is anyway to get rid of that yellow color cast IN camera ? Maybe Pana bodies need to be white balanced to be a bit cooler than what would be considered accurate white balance

Thanks, @kidzrevil. First, I should say for those who don't already know, this was shot with the G85, not the GH5, and when I shoot at the post office, I use the same custom white balance for all shots at all times of day^^. Impossible to white balance each and every shot individually, and when I tried using AWB, the colors would keep changing in the middle of a clip. But no matter how great I think I've balanced the color, the Leeming LUT usually (99% of the time anyhow) makes them look better. I should also add for newbies that I am not a professional colorist, and I already realize my CC pretty much sucks. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 11:45 AM, Orangenz said:

https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/ works really well. Worth it. See thumbnails for all files from GH5. 

File names: don't use custom file names on GH5 (at the moment), use default or it will reset numbers each time you format or change cards.

The GH5 V2.0 fixes the file name reset issue.

Also in the news, Leeming LUT ONE now recommends -3 saturation when using Cine D. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Simple transcode from GH5 "6K" 2X 4:3 anamorphic to 1920/1080 via ffmpeg:

D:\ffmpeg-20170915-6743351-win64-static\bin\ffmpeg -threads 4 -i P1077005.MP4 -r 29.97 -metadata copyright="© buggz - 2017" -vf scale=1920/1080,setsar=1/1,setdar=2.6667/1,colormatrix=bt709:bt470bg -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -c:a copy P1077005-ffmpegHD.mp4

I note that the audio in a GH5 "6K" video file is lossy recorded format, while a normal 4K audio file not lossy format recorded.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! My 1st post here!  

And...I'm asking for help. I'm getting CRAZY NOISE from my GH5 and I can't figure out why!

In general, I'm filming at 10bit/10bit/1920x1080, 23.98 LongGOP  

Here's a screen grab for reference. This is ungraded and I think was shot using 1600 iso or maybe a 1/3 stop above that.

P1000473.MOV.13_44_04_12.Still001.thumb.jpg.8bad452a7e086902b5237cfe3de40a65.jpg

In doing some research, I came accross a lot of videos (here's one) in which this guy is getting super clean iso performance respectively. 

The GH5 is a great camera and I have been tempted on numerous occasions to buy one and if I had a more disposable income, or was a working videographer, I probably would have one by now.

However, like most cameras, it isn’t the right tool for every job. I understand you cannot read a thread on this site without someone suggesting the GH5 to another, but if someone needs a camera for good lowlight performance, without additional lighting, don’t get a GH5, get an a7s or other full frame or even aps-c camera. If someone needs a camera with really good autofocus, don’t get a GH5, get a Canon or maybe one of the Sony’s with PDAF.

In most instances, your clients will be happier with the results and never miss those extra 2 bits of color information.

6 hours ago, AnomalyVideo said:

Hi @jonpais 

Actually, that wasn't zoomed in at all. Here's an example of a video captured at 30fps for a contractor video (sorry to show you guys a bathroom!!) But pay attention to the tile near the shower on the left. Just ugly!!  Especially in motion.

That doesn't look normal for the GH5, that's for sure. Can you export your camera settings please and I'll have a look. 

@mercer Keep saving your pennies. :)  The all-new Leeming LUT v501 designed for HLG in a rec.709 color gamut is sensational - better than Cinelike D and as good or better than V-Log Lite. I'm at work on a short video right now, will be going to Singapore to pick up the Veydra 16mm on Tuesday, but hopefully will be able to post it by early next week. The GH5 is definitely NOT (sorry for the caps, folks!) just a 'specs on paper' camera. So even if you don't have $1,000 to spend on a Ninja Inferno or an HDR editing monitor, you can still take advantage of the sweet wholesome goodness that is HLG right now. And no need for plug-ins either - you can convert the files to Pro Res and begin editing in FCP immediately. 

Details: Veydra Mini Prime 25mm T2.2, ISO 400, Sharpening -5, NR -5, Leeming LUT, no sharpening added in post. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 4.03.06 PM.png

@jonpais that looks really good. I assume you are happy with the GH5? I’d be a liar if I didn’t admit that I am slightly interested in getting one, but I really don’t need another camera this second, so I am going to wait and see what that new rumored GH Photo camera will have to offer.

With the GH5, I am only really interested in the 10 bit 200mbps all-i, IBIS, shutter angle option, CineLikeD, and VFR... so I am hoping that a more photocentric GH camera may have some or most of those features. We shall see. 

How much wiggle room do you have with the Leeming LUT? Since it is so popular, it seems that there will be a whole lot of footage floating around that looks very similar?

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

@jonpais that looks really good. I assume you are happy with the GH5? I’d be a liar if I didn’t admit that I am slightly interested in getting one, but I really don’t need another camera this second, so I am going to wait and see what that new rumored GH Photo camera will have to offer.

With the GH5, I am only really interested in the 10 bit 200mbps all-i, IBIS, shutter angle option, CineLikeD, and VFR... so I am hoping that a more photocentric GH camera may have some or most of those features. We shall see. 

How much wiggle room do you have with the Leeming LUT? Since it is so popular, it seems that there will be a whole lot of footage floating around that looks very similar?

Thanks, Glenn. First of all, my sample might possibly be able to look way better than it does - I guess there's a discussion going on now over at FB about how FCP is correctly flagging the clips as HLG rec2020 - so I have to figure out how to disable that. If anyone here knows, please let me know. 

It's taking a bit longer than I predicted months ago, but it won't be long before another, smaller, less expensive Panasonic comes along with some of the pedigree of the GH5, but I wasn't expecting it to be photocentric like the rumors have it.

When you purchase the Leeming LUT, you get a free pack of 'Quickies', which are different looks you can apply to your footage. And not stupid Hollywood looks or crazy colors, but tastefully done LUTs. So there's that. Then, the rest is up to your skills as a colorist and your own imagination. In fact, I really don't see a whole lot of stuff on YT graded using the Leeming LUT, though I'm sure it's out there.

Edit: I just figured out how to override the color gamut. The colors of my original clip are way off, yet they look decent if you don't compare. :) New screen grab on its way, probably tomorrow.