Jump to content
Orangenz

GH5 tips tricks and questions only

Recommended Posts

Question: Where is the 180 shutter angle setting?

Tips: 4k 10bit 25p records 1:52 on 128GB, 4k 8bit 25p 2:52

IBIS manual focal length setting far more customisable than gx85. eg. can set 7.5, 7.7, 7.8

On connection to PC two windows open, one for each sd card

random picture size comparison: GH5 jpeg 8.72MB, raw 23MB. GH4 jpeg 5.10MB, raw 18.6MB

No AF in HFR mode? Looks manual only. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

Can anyone give me a tip as to why are we waiting up to a month in Australia  for delivery when the camera has launched in the rest of the world ? (I'm a tad over excited to receive my preorder)

That's odd considering NZ seemed to be the first location they landed..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

Whats sd card are u

using and any recommendation

I am using https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275616-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_128g_ancin_extremepro_sdhc_128gb.html I am waiting until later in the year with the firmware updates before purchasing the new V60 cards - allow the manufacturers to test them properly. 

Quote

Can anyone with the gh5 and vlog confirm how the vlog assist works uploading luts to the camera and if they are useable as a lit preview when recording?

Just found it on page 186 of manual. Take any LUT with the .VLT extension, make sure the name is 8 characters or less, and pop it in the root directory of card 1. There are 4 slots available plus the Vlog_709 is already in camera, so a total of 5 luts can be stored (4+1 permanent). Creative video (M) - vlog assist -

Can only play with that menu if vlog is both activated and turned on. And it works! It shows an extra marker on screen indicating the color is for monitoring. The LUT can be sent out the HDMI (monitoring or recording) but not recorded in camera. 

Matt try to keep responses to questions, tips, answers in this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I am using https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275616-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_128g_ancin_extremepro_sdhc_128gb.html I am waiting until later in the year with the firmware updates before purchasing the new V60 cards - allow the manufacturers to test them properly. 

Just found it on page 186 of manual. Take any LUT with the .VLT extension, make sure the name is 8 characters or less, and pop it in the root directory of card 1. There are 4 slots available plus the Vlog_709 is already in camera, so a total of 5 luts can be stored (4+1 permanent). Creative video (M) - vlog assist -

Can only play with that menu if vlog is both activated and turned on. And it works! It shows an extra marker on screen indicating the color is for monitoring. The LUT can be sent out the HDMI (monitoring or recording) but not recorded in camera. 

Matt try to keep responses to questions, tips, answers in this thread. 

Thanks for the info! I have already converted some of my most used LUTs from the .cube format to the required .vlt format to use on the GH5!. Just to confirm is the overlayed LUT still displayed when you are recording or only shown before hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lmackreath said:

Thanks for the info! I have already converted some of my most used LUTs from the .cube format to the required .vlt format to use on the GH5!. Just to confirm is the overlayed LUT still displayed when you are recording or only shown before hand?

OOOO Please tell me how to convert! I just asked Visioncolor but you're much closer. Yes, the overlayed LUT stays on screen (including recording) until turned off in menu or you change the profile being used from vlog. The LUT is not recorded to the card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

OOOO Please tell me how to convert! I just asked Visioncolor but you're much closer. Yes, the overlayed LUT stays on screen (including recording) until turned off in menu or you change the profile being used from vlog. The LUT is not recorded to the card. 

There are a couple of ways, there is a free tool online called LUTcalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html Easy to use and understand but let me know if you struggle.

The other way is to do this in davinci resolve.Simple apply an existing cube lut to some footage, and then in the colour editing screen you can right click on the clip and export the LUT to a .vlt file... any problems let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tips: Have at least 3 batteries with you. Will need more for all day shoots. The GH5 does eat them up twice as fast as the GH4. The entire body warms up a bit after a while - great heat dispersion. When using 6kPhoto there is a warning if you choose the "shoot forever" mode that "Note: automatically change to 6K burst mode if camera exceeds temperature rating." Sounds like a challenge? Who's going to overheat their GH5 first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Tips: Have at least 3 batteries with you. Will need more for all day shoots. The GH5 does eat them up twice as fast as the GH4. The entire body warms up a bit after a while - great heat dispersion. When using 6kPhoto there is a warning if you choose the "shoot forever" mode that "Note: automatically change to 6K burst mode if camera exceeds temperature rating." Sounds like a challenge? Who's going to overheat their GH5 first?

My GH 4 spoiled me with battery run time- looks like the battery grip is a must have. On the upside- The extra mass should polish handheld work even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lmackreath said:

Can anyone with the gh5 and vlog confirm how the vlog assist works uploading luts to the camera and if they are useable as a lit preview when recording?

You can upload 4 Luts, but they must be in the varricam lut format. For activation- you get the code in a very large box via post. Just go to the activation site for gh4 @ pro-av.panasonic.net and act like you have a gh4, just fill in, copy code to camera and everything is fine. Vlog is quite ok, just did a quick test, i think one can twirk the vlog-rec profile a bit so it will work better with the gh5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...