Jump to content

GH5 tips tricks and questions only


Orangenz
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

4992x3744. I don't think I'm going to test the overheating thing. And it doesn't say a warning will pop up, it just says on the pre-burst screen that it will stop preburst recording and default to burst mode. It says nothing on the start/stop mode. 

4992 tops wide, no matter the ratio?

Just curious on the extra potential use of it as far as extension of a possible shot concerns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

4992 tops wide, no matter the ratio?

Just curious on the extra potential use of it as far as extension of a possible shot concerns.

Oh, the other one is 5184x3456

4992 x 3744 in 4:3

5184 x 3456 in 3:2

Incidentally, 4k and c4k at 24fps have the same lateral field of view. C4k does not get a wider fov like it does on the GH4.

4096 x 2160 in C4K

3840 x 2160 in UHD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Oh, the other one is 5184x3456

4992 x 3744 in 4:3

5184 x 3456 in 3:2

5184 x 1.33 (anamorphic adapter) = 6894,72 (2:1) actually 7K

5184 x 1.5 (anamorphic adapter) = 7776 (2.25:1)

4992 x 2 (anamorphic adapter or lens) = 9984 (2.66:1) that is 8970,58 (2.39:1) actually 9K

Pretty interesting if you want a grab printed from a large format printer...

BTW, is there any sort of AF going along the 6K photo mode?

(I guess they've named it like that because of its usage on anamorphic video)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

BTW, is there any sort of AF going along the 6K photo mode?

(I guess they've named it like that because of its usage on anamorphic video)

Ermm, I think AFF would be off and the point focus (edit: but just when using pre-burst). Rest works. Was using AFC for it before. It is a photo mode after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

If you're not using the pre-burst 6k mode then every focus mode works. 

6K Photo mode seems rather interesting for video acquisition. The only information I am wondering about on the subject matter is how long 6K Photo mode (in both resolutions 4992 x 3744 in 4:3; 5184 x 3456 in 3:2) takes and how many seconds or minutes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Emanuel said:

6K Photo mode seems rather interesting for video acquisition. The only information I am wondering about on the subject matter is how long does 6K Photo mode (in both resolutions 4992 x 3744 in 4:3; 5184 x 3456 in 3:2) take and how many seconds or minutes...

The manual suggests over 3 hours non-stop. Have you tested the file? Doesn't play natively in Premiere without recoding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

The manual suggests over 3 hours non-stop. Have you tested the file? Doesn't play natively in Premiere without recoding. 

I didn't, I am not at home, I am with limited internet from here : )

3 hours? WOW. And doesn't it overheat before to reach that?

Some other helpful information I guess easy to confirm:

6K Photo mode works with electronic shutter, right? So, no wearing trouble later in the camera using 6K Photo mode, I guess. No shutter worn out in a few takes, I believe.

And what about silent mode and that video I posted up there before? Have you checked any hassle out of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I didn't, I am not at home, I am with limited internet from here : )

3 hours? WOW. And doesn't it overheat before to reach that?

Some other helpful information I guess easy to confirm:

6K Photo mode works with electronic shutter, right? So, no wearing trouble later in the camera using 6K Photo mode, I guess.

And what about silent mode and that video I posted up there before? Have you checked any hassle out of it?

I don't think overheating will be the limiting factor in recording. Yea electronic shutter with that fancy rolling shutter correction if you want to pull a photo. 

You mean the strobing from fluros? That's with any camera. I have not played around with the flicker decrease function yet. But I did find a fluro in my house that is horrrendous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I don't think overheating will be the limiting factor in recording. Yea electronic shutter with that fancy rolling shutter correction if you want to pull a photo. 

You mean the strobing from fluros? That's with any camera. I have not played around with the flicker decrease function yet. But I did find a fluro in my house that is horrrendous. 

Well, I bet we can minimize the issue with the right shutter speed anyway.

Nice news on the overheating. That said, no idea why they don't call it a 5K video camera, after all...

 

This camera puzzles me each day more; I think she is completely underrated... I find it even worse because it is by Panasonic marketing reps almost all them included, they should be the first ones to announce it to the world and this AF buzz episode only confirms my impression... Reason enough for them to clean the house, they do too little for this product... Joseph is a photographer, not a Panasonic rep; old dvxuser is also gone today with Jarred on RED; it is a shame I know all this information coming from another user on EOSHD (Andrew's brand agnostic corner or not!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2017 at 4:49 PM, zmarty said:

Thanks, that's unfortunate. I will just have to adjust :)

Actually, you can play back footage by pushing up (12:00) on the wheel that surrounds the menu button. Pushing up on the new toggle thingamajig does the same thing. 

I shoot with a viewfinder so the screen is completely enclosed, and I always review footage while never removing the viewfinder.

In playback mode you can also use the shutter wheel to shift from on information screen to another concerning clips.

So, I have a question about the in-camera V-log view assist. Using it makes footage look normal. But how to I get the better exposure for V-log. By going how the view assist looks? Or do I keep referring to the wave form? Enquiring minds want to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Actually, you can play back footage by pushing up (12:00) on the wheel that surrounds the menu button. Pushing up on the new toggle thingamajig does the same thing. 

Answered twice already! :O

3 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

So, I have a question about the in-camera V-log view assist. Using it makes footage look normal. But how to I get the better exposure for V-log. By going how the view assist looks? Or do I keep referring to the wave form? Enquiring minds want to know.

Todays effort was according to the histogram and https://vimeo.com/212536737 there's clipped highlights there and although you'd actually expect them to be it's still kind of annoying. I had better results I think the other day when exposing for the sky and boosting the shadow slider. At 400 iso I didn't get any noise from doing that at all. So I'm thinking half to one stop under but watch what the zebras are doing (which I didn't today). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/04/2017 at 5:31 AM, PixelPossum said:

I just got the camera. I saw that it came up with the focal length question and adjusted it accordingly. 

I was was a bit confused if I needed to do anything else because in GH4 you had to changed to "Shoot without lens" in the setting

thanks

josse

Me too, I was just a couple of days ahead ;) Not sure why they put that option on the GH4 anyway. Maybe to stop the sensor being charged with no lens attached? Seemed unnecessary really.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Answered twice already! :O

Todays effort was according to the histogram and https://vimeo.com/212536737 there's clipped highlights there and although you'd actually expect them to be it's still kind of annoying. I had better results I think the other day when exposing for the sky and boosting the shadow slider. At 400 iso I didn't get any noise from doing that at all. So I'm thinking half to one stop under but watch what the zebras are doing (which I didn't today). 

 

I shot with the waveform yesterday--without the view assist, and highlights were pretty well controlled. But I note over all I tend to over expose standard rec. 709 by just a bit.

Exposing for the sky sounds like the way to go. Maybe in this case the histogram will work better than the waveform. What is your zebra setting?

Still confused about the relationship between the View Assist LUT the actual exposure results in the V-log. I'm willing to experiment, but I'd like a good starting point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone had success using the Metabones Speedbooster XL with the GH5? I have a Speedbooster with the latest firmware, but when I use Canon zoom lenses (24-105L, 100-400L) the GH5 locks up the moment I try to zoom in on something. It does work when the lens is on the widest setting. Wondering if there is something within the GH5 settings that I haven't set correctly or if Metabones needs to release a new firmware update. Metabones website says the Speedbooster XL supports the GH5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...