A very nice lossless codec for windows: Ut Video

palubalis

So I was trying to use my Gopro Hero2 files in Premiere Pro. I recently installed the Protune firmware update and this was the first time I was actually editing some footage.

On MPC-HC, the video files played fine on my brand new PC (Core i7, Asus MB, 16Gb Ram, 128Gb SSD and Nvidia GTX 560). Of course, hardware acceleration with CUDA was activated in Premiere, so I thought I could edit those files flawlessly with Premiere Pro CS6.

Big mistake.

No matter how many things I tried, the video playback began to get choppy after a few seconds. I had to resort to convert these few files into an intermediate codec. I decided to also apply a barrel distortion correction filter in Virtualdub, noise removal, gamma correction, just for the sake of it.

Now, don't get me wrong; If I could edit those files directly in Premiere I would do it. I had a few bad experiences with lossless codec before: most intermediate codecs, such as ProRes, aren't really lossless. Real lossless files are huge and it is nearly impossible to edit directly with them, like Lagarith or HuffYuv.

But with a bit of luck, I stumbled upon Ut Video.

The sheer performance of this codec is incredible: stable, efficient, fast as hell, AND lossless. It supports multithreading and the code is still maintained. It works both on MAC and PC. A 5 minute clip could fit 

So, If anyone needs a real lossless codec out there and reads this forum, you should definetely give it a try.

Cheers,

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs