5K RAW video on the Olympus E-M1 II usable for short clips!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

this is awesome but the clip are too short and my eyes suffers a little bit watching that fast edit. it looks about 2 secs a clip.

how many mbp/s is it the bus of the card reader? it looks like it stop because of the saturated bandwith. Is someone finds out a way to decrease resolution the clips could last longer and maybe reach continuous shooting.

Awesome shots! Love the look of that 25mm 1.2 lens. I'm going to try your DNG/Resolve workflow. Should be must faster than rendering the .ORF image sequence in After Effects.

Edit: What settings do export as in Resolve before going into Premiere?

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow the stabilazation of the Olympus is Very impressive. Could be a better video cam than the GH5 in some circumstances because of it...

And I would imagine OOC colors probably better also. Hmm.

C100ii... no take backs. Lol. 

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Shit you caught me! Well it is a bit cheaper LoL. I just about had beer running out my nose. Damn. :grimace::blush:

If I had a dollar for every time I've thought... hmm... I could probably pay for the Pocket I am about to order after and depending upon the BM announcement tomorrow. 

You know it will not be 995 bucks if they make it 2.5k or more, ain't going to happen. I said it before, BM would sell a crap load more of them again if they do a MkII version. I hope you are right.

So much for a C100 mkII then. Christ, I need to win the Lotto! Or get Donald Trump's tax return back! Maybe he has a Arri Alexa XL he is not using anymore he could let me use for ...say 5 years.

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

C100ii... no take backs. Lol. 

I'll laugh all night about that! Funny stuff.

That's true a 4K Pocket will be at least $1500... maybe 2 grand. I still want to know before I make the plunge. Between the Pocket and my Nikon, I'll be happy enough until I can afford a used C100ii or FS5... which will not be for a long while. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

That's true a 4K Pocket will be at least $1500... maybe 2 grand. I still want to know before I make the plunge. Between the Pocket and my Nikon, I'll be happy enough until I can afford a used C100ii or FS5... which will not be for a long while. 

Hmm, I think if I was a bit serious about movie making like you seem to be, the Sony FS5 might be the way to go. 4k is really going to be the future, and if someone wants to hire you and you have a C100ii well, I know you can rent, but all your lenses would be Canon, etc.

Seems like the FS5 is a lot more future proof. Plenty of nice looking footage shot on them. Can use on a drone, more money I know but...

I am just doing this stuff now as a hobby, family thing, that hometown historical thing. Probably never make a dime. I can't throw a lot into it. But I think a person needs to buy into one system and get damn good at it. Have to be rich to have 3 or 4 systems, different lenses, gear etc, and will you really be great at any of them? Be able to shut your eyes and change settings?

But I am coming from a old TV ENG shooter guy. I could not screw up, it was a one chance shoot. I knew my camera better than I knew myself LoL. But it was relaxing as hell knowing you knew, if you know what I mean. That has a big effect on making better footage. And enjoying yourself, and putting actors, clients at ease. The old yeah, I know what you mean, I can get that effect, I know my camera inside and out. Stations kept cameras a Long time back then. They were as expensive as hell. Like 100k expensive each. And I could not believe the beating they were able to take year after year. And you can go on ebay and still buy them that work!! What the hell lol. And they cost about 75 dollars, 150 tops with a Beta-Cam SP deck on them now. And they only weighed nearly 25 pounds with a 20x Fuji lens and the big Anton Bauer battery! But they were easy as hell to walk with, both forward and backwards. Hardest thing was to hold them level horizon wise for a long period of time. Then you had to drag a heavy ass Tripod, Fluid head, no Carbon Fiber then, with you also! They weighed damn near as much as the camera.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hmm, I think if I was a bit serious about movie making like you seem to be, the Sony FS5 might be the way to go. 4k is really going to be the future, and if someone wants to hire you and you have a C100ii well, I know you can rent, but all your lenses would be Canon, etc.

Seems like the FS5 is a lot more future proof. Plenty of nice looking footage shot on them. Can use on a drone, more money I know but...

I am just doing this stuff now as a hobby, family thing, that hometown historical thing. Probably never make a dime. I can't throw a lot into it. But I think a person needs to buy into one system and get damn good at it. Have to be rich to have 3 or 4 systems, different lenses, gear etc, and will you really be great at any of them? Be able to shut your eyes and change settings?

But I am coming from a old TV ENG shooter guy. I could not screw up, it was a one chance shoot. I knew my camera better than I knew myself LoL. But it was relaxing as hell knowing you knew, if you know what I mean. That has a big effect on making better footage. And enjoying yourself, and putting actors, clients at ease. The old yeah, I know what you mean, I can get that effect, I know my camera inside and out. Stations kept cameras a Long time back then. They were as expensive as hell. Like 100k expensive each. And I could not believe the beating they were able to take year after year. And you can go on ebay and still buy them that work!! What the hell lol. And they cost about 75 dollars, 150 tops with a Beta-Cam SP deck on them now. And they only weighed nearly 25 pounds with a 20x Fuji lens and the big Anton Bauer battery! But they were easy as hell to walk with, both forward and backwards. Hardest thing was to hold them level horizon wise for a long period of time. Then you had to drag a heavy ass Tripod, Fluid head, no Carbon Fiber then, with you also! They weighed damn near as much as the camera.

Nah, I'm really just a hobbyist too. I spend most of my free time writing screenplays, and then a couple years ago I got the great idea that making my own shorts could be another outlet to sell my scripts... and that's when I was bit by the filmmaking bug... other than a bunch of test shots and a short or two, I have mostly been on the search for the right camera for me.

I am looking for a camera where I can get two good looks out of it... a modern look and a vintage look without too much post needed. So far I have found it with the XC10, the D5500 and of course the BMPCC.

Although I loved the XC10, I didn't love how quickly it depreciated in value... 2 grand was a lot of money for me to spend at once and I kinda missed my lenses while shooting with it. I am pretty sure I would like a C100... but again, it's just a touch out of my price range.

The Nikon is the most enjoyable and frustrating camera I've ever used but the image is undeniable... it's modest 1080p, but it's clean with great colors and when you lower those midtones, there's a nice weight to the image.

And finally, the BMPCC... what a legendary camera that's image still holds up today... nearly 4 years after its release. It's a very versatile camera that can be rigged out for controlled shoots or fitted with a native lens with OIS. And it is so simple in its interface that it works nearly like a point and shoot cinema camera. Shoot prores or raw and even an untalented hack like myself cannot help but to capture cinematic looking footage.

I do agree though that I really need to pick a camera and learn the ins and outs of it and start producing material instead of boring tests. 

You must have some cool stories from your ENG days? Did you end up with any spare lenses... Are they B4 lenses?

I agree 4K is definitely the future, but at this point I'd rather have good 1080p than okay 4K... especially since I don't have the computing power to edit 4K without downscaling it to 1080p beforehand.

I appreciate this article and I hope Andrew's lead will inspire other bloggers to test and write about the raw capabilities of this camera and Olympus and the other manufacturers will hear the call and start implementing raw in future cameras.