Jump to content
Neumann Films

Lumix GH5 Downloadable Footage

Recommended Posts

Hey Luke, any chance you can test out the 4K time lapse mode?  I'm curious as to whether the video file can now be saved as 10 bit 4:2:2.  That feature alone would save me a ton of work in post.  Specifically the 2 fps speed in 4K creative mode/variable frame rate (conformed to 24P playback).  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I will say again, at the risk of repeating myself a million times: I have also owned five Panasonic cameras; they are supremely video-centric, and even the lowly G7 is capable of being used in productions: Panasonic could have released these upgrades incrementally over a period of years; that they packed so much into a camera at this price point is nothing short of miraculous: but codecs and bits aside, the color science of the GH5 is still unmistakably Panasonic. And since I can still dream, my ideal camera would be a GH5 with something like the X Trans sensor.

you 're right panny modified new cfa from 2*2 to 6*6 that color may like x-trans sensor!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liork said:

Hi Neumann, could you check please what is the bit rate of the H.265 6K Photo file?

Keep in mind it will likely change and the feature isn't even properly working (I get a green screen in all software).

244Mbps in 6K/4:3/30p.  As of right now.

4 hours ago, MaxAperture Films said:

Hey Luke, any chance you can test out the 4K time lapse mode?  I'm curious as to whether the video file can now be saved as 10 bit 4:2:2.  That feature alone would save me a ton of work in post.  Specifically the 2 fps speed in 4K creative mode/variable frame rate (conformed to 24P playback).  Thanks.

No VFR in any of the 10bit options on the build that I'm working with.  Seems like the lower ones should be able to be added.  Makes sense to me, I will make a feature request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the playback issue: FCP X 10.3.1 on newest, maxed-out iMac plays back all files at full quality. Noticed some stuttering, conformed the framerates using automatic speed, they seemingly ran smoothly, still so with V-Lut and one instance of CC. Checked stop playback when frame skipping occurs (or so, german FCP X), and playback did stop a second or so into the file. XML'd to Resolve: files are missing! Transcoded everything to ProRes then. As expected, no issues then. But note that some stuttering will be normal for files that are thrown into a *desktop project" with differing framerates. 

On the colors: I am not very enthusiastic about the DR (knowing A7Rii, FS7 and BM footage). Skin looks decent, but the green of the trees doesn't look right. What I would like to see in further shots by Neumann: not V-log, but just a quick comparison of all standard picture profiles (or however Pana calls them). Please make sure sharpness and saturation are dialed down somewhat, disable iDyn and iRes and all that stuff. Sorry, I don't know the right names, it's been a long time since my GH2 experiences. With Sony I'd rather go with "Cine4" (a little flat, looking like C100's C-log) to avoid a lot of problems with weird colors, noise or banding (the latter of course not to be expected in a 10-bit clip). Thanks for the clips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Axel said:

On the playback issue: FCP X 10.3.1 on newest, maxed-out iMac plays back all files at full quality. Noticed some stuttering, conformed the framerates using automatic speed, they seemingly ran smoothly, still so with V-Lut and one instance of CC. Checked stop playback when frame skipping occurs (or so, german FCP X), and playback did stop a second or so into the file. XML'd to Resolve: files are missing! Transcoded everything to ProRes then. As expected, no issues then. But note that some stuttering will be normal for files that are thrown into a *desktop project" with differing framerates. 

On the colors: I am not very enthusiastic about the DR (knowing A7Rii, FS7 and BM footage). Skin looks decent, but the green of the trees doesn't look right. What I would like to see in further shots by Neumann: not V-log, but just a quick comparison of all standard picture profiles (or however Pana calls them). Please make sure sharpness and saturation are dialed down somewhat, disable iDyn and iRes and all that stuff. Sorry, I don't know the right names, it's been a long time since my GH2 experiences. With Sony I'd rather go with "Cine4" (a little flat, looking like C100's C-log) to avoid a lot of problems with weird colors, noise or banding (the latter of course not to be expected in a 10-bit clip). Thanks for the clips!

I think I'm done with tests at this point.  We might do something in anamorphic but that will probably be it. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Keep in mind it will likely change and the feature isn't even properly working (I get a green screen in all software).

244Mbps in 6K/4:3/30p.  As of right now.

Thank you, not bad at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, agachart said:

you 're right panny modified new cfa from 2*2 to 6*6 that color may like x-trans sensor!!!

You're saying the Panasonic is going to give us color science comparable to Fuji? I read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that McDonalds is going to open a bunch of franchises selling kobe beef burgers, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Axel said:

Too bad. Does anybody know about such a comparison so far? Like this:

Fuji.jpg

But Panasonic doesn't have film simulations... :flushed: Fuji was the first Japanese producer of photographic film, while Panasonic started out as a maker of lamp sockets and bicycle lamps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2017 at 8:42 AM, Neumann Films said:

Version 1...lol.  Well, now I'm excited to see what dual IS actually looks like.

On screen I had dual IS notifications the whole time?  Seemed more stable than lenses that clearly had no IS.  I am pretty sure V1 had working IS.  

That's good to know - I don't have to replace my lenses. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

No VFR in any of the 10bit options on the build that I'm working with.  Seems like the lower ones should be able to be added.  Makes sense to me, I will make a feature request.

Thanks Luke!  And huge props to Panasonic for going "all-in" with this cam and even encouraging more feature requests... they've earned my $$ for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Mine starts at ISO 400, 200 isn't even an option. 

Are you sure GH5 has no iso200 for video? Iso400 would be too noisy and very odd too.

Is the GH5 showing all exposure values when using video modes A,S,P and auto iso. Can you check? it takes few seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vesku said:

Are you sure GH5 has no iso200 for video? Iso400 would be too noisy and very odd too.

Is the GH5 showing all exposure values when using video modes A,S,P and auto iso. Can you check? it takes few seconds.

This is probably just the base ISO for V-Log

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...