Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Great information. Where would I find Neumann's footage and LUT package??
Now that you bring it up I have to say I have tended to expose LOG to the right, lifting up the lows into the lower part of the mids. Actually, I've done that to eliminate noise in the darker parts of the image. Do you see a problem with that in V-Log (I've never shot V-log)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, markr041 said:

Here is a low-light video using the GX85 and the classic 20mm f1.7 Lumix lens. This gives a hint of the performance of the GH5 not using VLog L:

Nice job. Handheld very steady looking with the IBIS, excellent sharpness, good exposures and color. Was this at ISO 6400? Was it straight out of the camera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Nice job. Handheld very steady looking with the IBIS, excellent sharpness, good exposures and color. Was this at ISO 6400? Was it straight out of the camera?

Thanks. IBIS really works well with the 20mm. This was shot using the Standard profile; in post I slightly tweaked the WB in some shots and altered luminance and some curves. I do not know what ISO was used; in this light aperture is wide open, shutter speed is fixed and thus all my exposure control was via ISO, and I exposed based on matching what I saw in the scene to what the viewfinder was showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@markr041 OT question... do you have the ZS100? And if so can you tell me anything about it's quality. Does the hybrid 5-axis work in 4K? How is the CineLikeD? I have been searching for a small p&s for a while now and other than the slow lens, the ZS100 seems to tick most of the boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mercer said:

@markr041 OT question... do you have the ZS100? And if so can you tell me anything about it's quality. Does the hybrid 5-axis work in 4K? How is the CineLikeD? I have been searching for a small p&s for a while now and other than the slow lens, the ZS100 seems to tick most of the boxes.

OT answer. Like the GX85, no Cine PP's. I like it. Examples:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markr041 said:

OT answer. Like the GX85, no Cine PP's. I like it. Examples:

 

Nice images and color!!!

Sorry, but according to Panasonic's specs, the CineLike profiles are available in creative movie mode... do you shoot video from a photo mode? Also it seems the 5-axis hybrid IBIS is not available in 4K, but your shots seemed pretty steady... were they handheld? If so, the OIS is great. Anyway thanks for sharing! It could be the pocket cam I've been looking for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nice images and color!!!

Sorry, but according to Panasonic's specs, the CineLike profiles are available in creative movie mode... do you shoot video from a photo mode? Also it seems the 5-axis hybrid IBIS is not available in 4K, but your shots seemed pretty steady... were they handheld? If so, the OIS is great. Anyway thanks for sharing! It could be the pocket cam I've been looking for. 

Thanks. Sorry, about the misinformation on profiles. I shoot videos only and only in Creative Movie Mode, but I prefer Standard for most outings and sometimes Natural; I guess I never went farther down in the menu. Everything is handheld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Nice images and color!!!

Sorry, but according to Panasonic's specs, the CineLike profiles are available in creative movie mode... do you shoot video from a photo mode? Also it seems the 5-axis hybrid IBIS is not available in 4K, but your shots seemed pretty steady... were they handheld? If so, the OIS is great. Anyway thanks for sharing! It could be the pocket cam I've been looking for. 

I take back my apology! My recollection was correct. There are no Cine modes in the ZS100. Not listed in the advanced manual/guide, nor as a menu choice in the camera in 'Creative Movie Mode."  This is also true for the GX85. There are lots of customizations with the Styles offered (like Standard, Portrait, Natural). and control over gamma curves, tints, sharpness, saturation, NR, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, markr041 said:

I take back my apology! My recollection was correct. There are no Cine modes in the ZS100. Not listed in the advanced manual/guide, nor as a menu choice in the camera in 'Creative Movie Mode."  This is also true for the GX85. There are lots of customizations with the Styles offered (like Standard, Portrait, Natural). and control over gamma curves, tints, sharpness, saturation, NR, etc.

Hmm, that is so very odd. Why would Panasonic list it on their spec sheet and also list a footnote that they are only available in Creative Movie Mode? Strange. Thanks for taking the time to look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here some information about the sensor of the GH5 from a german Forum, who has collected these infos from different sources like interviews, videos etc.

it is definitively another sensor as in the E-M1.2 and GH4 and another design

The high Iso Performance is supposed to be much better than in the GH4, there is talk about up to 2 stops (An ISO 6400 of the GH5 shall look like an ISO1600 of the GH4). Unfortunately there are no RAW pictures available at the moment to prove that.

RAWs will not be denoised by internal software

The design of the sensor leads to a faster read out that reduces the rolling shutter. The E-M1.2 Uses the brute-force approach with a lot of calculation effort. Panasonic says, that this will lead to more noise in the end, especially during video. This is the reason, whether decided, to design a totally new sensor. The rolling shutter also is not reduced by the software. 

the debayering is not done on a 2x2 Field but on a 6x6 Field. This leads to truer colours and to less artefacts. If the RAWs have 14Bit Colourdepth is not clear.

all cameras that are tested at the moment have a beta firmware, which is optimized for video. This is why there are no or not many photos available yet.

FW 1.0 will be "conservative" That will not use the full potential of the prozessors/sensor yet. Only with future firmware updates, the full potential of the sensor will be used.

Updates for the photo abilities Are on the "internal" roadmap, but are not communicated yet. . 

Higer framerates in serial picture mode are possible but may not be used due to the 4K/6K functions .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...