Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Guys and gals, ETC mode is a wonderful option. Is it possible to assign the ETC mode to "Fn" button? I am not able to do it. Can you tell me the right steps please?

It can be mapped to any fn button. The best part is that once it's set as a fn button, you can just hit the button twice to toggle between on/off. You don't have to push up on the joystick or wheel to change the setting like you would for quickmenu options.

I mapped it to the button next to the lens and use it all the time. It's awesome.

Can it be turned on and off DURING recording?     That would be awesome, I'll have to try this tomorrow.

I have a full day Winter Guard event on Saturday.

New Tokina 11-16 should be here tomorrow as well.   Hoping this plays well with the 0.64XL Speedbooster.

I am needing a super UWA solution., the Sigma 18-35 Art and 0.64XL isn't wide enough, especially for the collage performances.

Oh how I long for a super UWA anamorphic solution.  My Kowa for B&H 2x and Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 doesn't cover the full field of the performances.

Sigh...

16 hours ago, TARS said:

It can be mapped to any fn button. The best part is that once it's set as a fn button, you can just hit the button twice to toggle between on/off. You don't have to push up on the joystick or wheel to change the setting like you would for quickmenu options.

I mapped it to the button next to the lens and use it all the time. It's awesome.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:27 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I use a GH5 with Leica 12-60mm lens to make videos (only UHD documentaries). I'd like to buy another more powerful zoom. In your opinio what zoom can I buy? I mean about focal excursion only. Thanks

focal excursion? Somehow that sounds obscene! What are you going on a Safari or what. I don't get it?

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

focal excursion? Somehow that sounds obscene! What are you going on a Safari or what. I don't get it?

I think you don't make videos. I think you make photos. Yes I need lens with zoom. I always go into the forest, bush, savannah to take videos about indigenous peoples. I always travel alone.

PS: I have GH5 only for a few days and I'd like some advices from you but only if you make UHD videos. Going into the settings of the GH5 I saw these entries:
Minimum gain limit settings
Maximum Gain limit settings
if you want to use the camera automatically, what numbers would you put there? I inform you that I have them in db.
Thank you

3 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

I think you don't make videos. I think you make photos. Yes I need lens with zoom. I always go into the forest, bush, savannah to take videos about indigenous peoples. I always travel alone.

PS: I have GH5 only for a few days and I'd like some advices from you but only if you make UHD videos. Going into the settings of the GH5 I saw these entries:
Minimum gain limit settings
Maximum Gain limit settings
if you want to use the camera automatically, what numbers would you put there? I inform you that I have them in db.
Thank you

I think maybe you have been on Too many excursions LoL. Your focal is well, out of focus. There is no real definition, meaning of "focal excursion". :grin:

As for a zoom you need a 70-200mm equivalent lens. Maybe a 70-300mm, but they don't make really good ones of those. Anything above a 300mm equivalent I don't recommend a Zoom, just a Prime, But there is a 100-400mm that people use. Hard to do handheld. But you get into haze, heat wave problems, too much compression with a lens that long.

Now if you Really want a zoom lens I have had several Fujinon lenses like it. Not a 99, but couple of 70's. Now that 99 will end up being 1700mm, and with the 2x factor on a m4/3 it will be 3400mm, that ought to do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fujinon-XA99X8-4BESM-T-8-4-832mm-f-1-7-4-2-2-3-EFP-Box-Lens-Finance-w-AC/281561037688?hash=item418e587b78:g:nk8AAOSwk5FUtCSy

Don, at one of his best... LOL

Go on that Pana 100-400mm with crop and ETC mode and you'll end well beyond a thousand mm focal length away...

Or use an inexpensive mirror zoom lens with that particular bokeh but for daylight :-)

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/technology_guides/mirror-lens-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work-64667

I also like the fast (f/2.8) Olympus 40-150mm for a friendly match with GH5 including autofocus too (add the native teleconverter* and you'll reach a perfect 210mm f/4):

* http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-digital-1-4x-teleconverter-mc-14.html

Speriamo sia femmina... :-)

Yeah at times I can be, well an old sailor LoL. Hey what can I say.

That is a pretty serious good looking video of that lens. I never realized they were that good. Hmm. And what surprised me the most is, well I know it is in the grading, but that video looked more like Olympus colors than Panny colors. They have come a long ways with the GH5 I guess.

Nikon makes an incredible 80-200 zoom....don't get the 70-200....you can see the lens reviewed by Ken Rockwell...it was also used on the earlier Bourne movies...it's an AF-S F2.8 80-200 ED...it will cut with your Leica 12-60...the penalty is in weight...but speedboosted with a XL the lens is around F1.6 through the whole zoom range...the image is outstanding but you can't handhold it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnikon+AF-S+80-200+F2.8+ED+f2.8.TRS0&_nkw=nikon+AF-S+80-200+F2.8+ED+f2.8&_sacat=0

and this is around what you will pay for a good one...I own the 17-35, 28-70 and 80-200...and ar any selected FOV these zooms look like Primes.

2 hours ago, buggz said:

Any thoughts about the below?

A Different Approach to Making Your GH5/GH5S Footage Look More Cinematic

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/02/05/a-different-approach-to-making-your-gh5-gh5s-footage-look-more-cinematic/

Yes - do not follow his advice.

If you shoot HLG for rec709 delivery, you’d be better off using the Leeming LUT. 

Joo’s skin tones look like lobsters on my iPhone. Anyway, saying any LUT can magically transform drab footage into something cinematic is misleading. Lighting is number one. 🤓

Hi, I will reach central Africa, I will be in the bush where there aren't trees, so I will have days full of light and I will film also black people on the red earth.
I will shoot in UHD only and with Leica 12-60. Can you suggest the best settings for my GH5 please? For me it will be the first video wirh GH5 and I'm afraid to make some errors.
Thanks for your suggestions.

54 minutes ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I will reach central Africa, I will be in the bush where there aren't trees, so I will have days full of light and I will film also black people on the red earth.
I will shoot in UHD only and with Leica 12-60. Can you suggest the best settings for my GH5 please? For me it will be the first video wirh GH5 and I'm afraid to make some errors.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Here you go.