Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Sure you looked like tears to me. ;)

But wow, what's with the degree of false contouring in the 8bit on the GH4? That looks a bit over the top.

Sort of HDR on Steroids! That video was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. And I am running out of minutes!  :grin:

10 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I posted this in a different thread and probably should have posted it here. I'm not sure if anyone here knows the answer to this:

One thing that's annoyed me a bit with Panasonics, is the implementation of zebras. In Sonys, once the zebras are activated, it shows in the EVF or LCD no matter what you do. So you can adjust your exposure and the zebras remain 'live' as you do so. However in the Panasonics (and I can't recall if the GH4 did this too), once you begin to adjust your exposure, the zebras disappear. By 'disappear', I don't mean because highlights have now been properly adjusted, I mean they disappear as soon as you begin to adjust exposure, even if highlights are still blown. They only reappear once you've completed your adjustments and exit the adjustment process. So this makes highlight adjustment, via the zebras, a more tedious process than it need to be since you need to adjust, exit, readjust.

I'm hoping that behavior doesn't continue in the GH5.

Hi Ken, I've got the G85 right here in my hands as I type (well, almost), and as I point the camera at my desktop, and adjust either aperture or shutter speed, the zebras remain live the entire time, diminishing as I reduce exposure, increasing as I increase exposure.

16 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Jon, but try adjusting exposure via the EV adjustment. That's where the zebras disappear.

What mode are we talking about here? movie mode? auto Exposure? which settings should I be using and which dials should I be turning? 

At least a anamorphic de-squeeze in b/w would be great. It doesn t take much power , the Magic Lantern guys do the same with raw liveview. I think that without internal de-squeeze the cam wouldn´t be that perfect- you already have a really small cam with no need for external recorders due to 10 bit, how cool would it be to keep this setup with anamorphic (lenses are heavy enogh)

5 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Jon, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Use Movie Mode. At that point using aperture or shutter priority as well as Program mode, will result in the loss of zebras as soon as you adjust exposure via the EV route, not aperture or shutter speed. As I had mentioned, this behavior doesn't occur with Sonys.

Okay, so in fact, zebras do not disappear when adjusting shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, only when using the EV button in automatic. That's probably why I've never noticed it, since I don't shoot in auto. Good to know though.

13 minutes ago, Dude_ger said:

At least a anamorphic de-squeeze in b/w would be great. It doesn t take much power , the Magic Lantern guys do the same with raw liveview. I think that without internal de-squeeze the cam wouldn´t be that perfect- you already have a really small cam with no need for external recorders due to 10 bit, how cool would it be to keep this setup with anamorphic (lenses are heavy enogh)

I'm considering making a pinned topic where everyone can list all the features that should have been included in the GH5 but weren't.

2 minutes ago, Dude_ger said:

Actually they think about implementing this feature, so it s not a wish

yeah, I think I recall a Panasonic representative saying it might be incorporated, but can't really be sure, since I don't shoot anamorphic and wasn't paying close attention.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I wish I could like that post a few more times. Panasonic crams this device with more features than ever thought possible, thousands asking for even more. Sat through an hour and-a-half long video with one of Panasonic's representatives, super patient and good-humored, just fielding questions about why Panasonic doesn't do this, why don't they do that. Said it before, I'll say it again, Panasonic has given this community more than it probably deserves. And since Davey brings up skateboard gimbal videos, one newbie, who happens to only shoot BMX in extremely poor lighting conditions and is all worked up on saving for the GH5, I say he'd be better off buying a Sony a6XXX and he blows me off like I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

What a nice welcome to this forum jonpais... In that topic i appreciated your recommendation about sony a6xxx and didn't mean to "blow off" you or whatever.

Still waiting to get a chance to test gh5 myself, but for now based on what i have seen and read its very interesting camera with proper 1080p with fast RS, IBIS, good ergonomics and that viewfinder. Big and sharp viewfinder makes filming so enjoyable. 

I hope Andrew is going a bit more into 1080p in he's review. Everywhere else all i see is about 4k or 180fps hd. Also waiting to see how is that ex. tele conv mode in gh5. Anyone knows is it the same x2.5-x2.7 as in GH4?

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sort of HDR on Steroids! That video was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. And I am running out of minutes!  :grin:

As unrealistic as that grade is, as in, nobody would ever grade that severely, it does indeed show that 10bit internal is working, and well.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

As unrealistic as that grade is, as in, nobody would ever grade that severely, it does indeed show that 10bit internal is working, and well.

2 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

...using aperture or shutter priority as well as Program mode, will result in the loss of zebras as soon as you adjust exposure via the EV route, not aperture or shutter speed. As I had mentioned, this behavior doesn't occur with Sonys.

Panasonic seems to have a policy to hide or block exposure information when shooting with auto exposure. User must guess what the camera is doing and only at home we figure something has been wrong.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, jonpais said:

Why don't Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic release h.265? Because it's not widely adopted yet, and they'll be inundated with calls to their help center. 

Are you competing with Yogi Berra? It is difficult to "adopt" H265 if Sony, Olympus and Panasonic do not support it. In any case, it is factually untrue that mainstream processors (Intel) and software editors do not support it (Vegas Pro 14, Power Director, Resolve, etc.). 4K TV's support it (playback from video files). H265 is part of the HEVC spec.

I do not think we should let Panasonic off the hook on this, when the real reason *may* have to do with royalty payments, and not specious arguments in abundance here about the "quality" of H265 compression for high bitrate video, its inability to be used for intra, or the lack of "adoption."

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

Are you competing with Yogi Berra? It is difficult to "adopt" H265 if Sony, Olympus and Panasonic do not support it. In any case, it is factually untrue that mainstream processors (Intel) and software editors do not support it (Vegas Pro 14, Power Director, Resolve, etc.). 4K TV's support it (playback from video files). H265 is part of the HEVC spec.

I do not think we should let Panasonic off the hook on this, when the real reason *may* have to do with royalty payments, and not specious arguments in abundance here about the "quality" of H265 compression for high bitrate video, its inability to be used for intra, or the lack of "adoption."

I'm merely repeating the reason given by a Panasonic representative during an interview dude. Let Panasonic off the hook? Why don't you take on the entire camera industry?

For a moderator, you can be rude (and not just here). Dude? In any case, if you were "repeating: what someone has said, you should give the source reference. You did not. In any case, what is the point of repeating less-than-candid manufacturer's excuses? You are right, just let alternative facts go, or better, "repeat" them....

P.S. I do really like your videos, and know you are not a Panasonic fanboy.

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

For a moderator, you can be rude (and not just here). Dude? In any case, if you were "repeating: what someone has said, you should give the source reference. You did not. In any case, what is the point of repeating less-than-candid manufacturer's excuses? You are right, just let alternative facts go, or better, "repeat" them....

P.S. I do really like your videos, and know you are not a Panasonic fanboy.

First, sorry, I didn't get the Yogi Berra reference, thought you were making fun of me. Guess I have to Google that. You already said this would be a less-than-candid manufacturer's excuse, but just to show I'm not making anything up, here's the video with Sean Robinson where he explains why they don't use the h265 codec for all video modes. And glad you enjoy my videos! :)