Jump to content

Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@jonpais

Wow...very beautiful with pleasant, organic color flair & balance I really like.

Full ACK. It doesn't make sense to ruin very good, balanced colors with wannabe color correction or grading, at the end of the day it makes things worse and steals editors time without any benefit...In my eyes, it's NOT EASY AT ALL to apply a pleasant color correction or grading. It requires thousands of hours of experience, the fewest filmers have it. So the results would be rather a "color massacre", instead of improving original color look and balance.

Two questions:

  • You say, you used the Leica Nocticron F1.2 to shoot this footage...What about the look of footage shot with a Panasonic 42,5 mm F1.7 lens?
  • I assume, manual focusing...you shot this footage on tripod (it looks like this, because it's very stable), or handheld?

 

Thanks Arikhan. I've never shot with the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7, but my understanding is that it's a fine lens. All the shots were handheld with dual IBIS, manual focus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're not wrong about Oly.  And I shoot Fuji as well, so all these things are part of the mixed bag.  The thing is, when we're talking price, when we're looking at cameras within similar classes, the

Micro Four Thirds is increasingly going up-market and into pro territory, but unfortunately new Panasonic and Olympus cameras are getting more and more expensive by the day. Thankfully the G85 is

I'm currently NOT eating paella  I'm eating tapas It does the same on the G7 so I'll look at it when I resume work on Monday I have an idea that will probably work 

Posted Images

This is a really really nice camera but I'm going to sell it. I just can't get on with the FAS .. I hate it :angry: I've tried over the last few weeks but it's just not happening. First camera I've ever used with an FAS and I didn't realise how much different it would be for street shooting compared to using tilting screen. I find the tilting screen so much more stealthy. Guess its just personal preference as most love a FAS.

Anyway, I have my GX85 :glasses:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
3 hours ago, Dean said:

This is a really really nice camera but I'm going to sell it. I just can't get on with the FAS .. I hate it :angry: I've tried over the last few weeks but it's just not happening. First camera I've ever used with an FAS and I didn't realise how much different it would be for street shooting compared to using tilting screen. I find the tilting screen so much more stealthy. Guess its just personal preference as most love a FAS.

Anyway, I have my GX85 :glasses:

I get that 100%.

For me it is the biggest downsides to both the Pen-F and GX8.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mattpitts74 said:

Guys,  I need to hire a lens for an interview shoot this coming week, which will be indoors in available light, the two options I could hire would be either the 12-32mm 2.8 or the 25mm 1.4.  I have no experience with either of these two lens, so some feedback from users with a G85, would appreciated 

Go for the 25mm, unless you have to shoot in an extremely small space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8-1-2017 at 7:11 AM, Arikhan said:
  • you used the Leica Nocticron F1.2 to shoot this footage...What about the look of footage shot with a Panasonic 42,5 mm F1.7 lens?
  •  

 

The 42,5 f1.7 is one of those must have m4/3 lenses for video, I have mixed footage shot with a nocticron and the panasonic 42mm f1.7 and I can't tell them apart in the video, you probably would see a difference if you shoot side by side at f1.7 when you pixel peep but if you are on a budget, the 42,5 f1.7 is a very good investment, at f1.2 the nocticron gives you a shallower dof but for me it's not worth the pricedifference, if I would be a photographer however I would go for the nocticron., 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I get that 100%.

For me it is the biggest downsides to both the Pen-F and GX8.

It is a downer. Maybe I just have to get more used to it. There aren't many choices left. The EM1ii & GH5 both have FAS as well. I was surprised that the EM1 opted for this. Maybe I'll have another go at it at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2017 at 2:36 AM, kidzrevil said:

So I've been reading old panasonic white papers trying to figure out their Cinelike D and Cinelike V curve. Cinelike D always reminded me of SONY's cinegamma so I had to experiment with it. Anyway according to the panasonic white paper's you must underexpose by 1/2 a stop to expose the curve correctly. This makes sense cause overexposure with cinelike d looks particularly horrible. With all settings at defaults with the exception of -5 NR and -5 sharpness I got spectacular results underexposing cinelike D by 1 to 2/3 of a stop ! 

I am not planning to run a bunch of tests so I am sticking with the Cine gamma curves. 200-800 ISO is ideal for the G85 sensor with a slight dip in DR above 400. I keep my NR to -5 as the NR can be really aggressive above 800 iso.. My next two tests will be for in camera sharpness and saturation on both cine profiles. I notice at 0 saturation with Cinelike D the image looks hella saturated but the color rarely clips. The saturation was built specifically for this gamma curve. Panasonic obviously knew what they were doing when they made the cine gamma and the only thing that should be tampered with is the in camera sharpness. I think we are over thinking these settings....

Do you have and footage we can look at with these settings? Are you just leaving the footage as is or grading them afterwards?

Does anyone use FilmConvert with the G85 or GX85?

Just wondering what settings you use and which profile you choose from FilmConvert? 

Would the Natural, Standard, CineD & CineV settings from the GH4 in FilmConvert be appropriate?

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dean said:

Do you have and footage we can look at with these settings? Are you just leaving the footage as is or grading them afterwards?

Does anyone use FilmConvert with the G85 or GX85?

Just wondering what settings you use and which profile you choose from FilmConvert? 

Would the Natural, Standard, CineD & CineV settings from the GH4 in FilmConvert be appropriate?

Thanks.

GX85 works just fine with the filmconvert GH4 profile, see my videos. I shoot in standard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jase said:

GX85 works just fine with the filmconvert GH4 profile, see my videos. I shoot in standard.

I actually prefer GH3 profiles when using FilmConvert with my GX85 files. I've been shooting with a Neutral profile for the first few months with all settings down to -5. I now switched to Andrew EOSHD profile suggestions, still testing it out especially regarding noise reduction, and still I like GH3 profiles better. My 2 cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ronnie Amighetti said:

I actually prefer GH3 profiles when using FilmConvert with my GX85 files. I've been shooting with a Neutral profile for the first few months with all settings down to -5. I now switched to Andrew EOSHD profile suggestions, still testing it out especially regarding noise reduction, and still I like GH3 profiles better. My 2 cents.

Thanks for that, I will give the GH3 profile a try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 0:01 AM, kidzrevil said:

its somewhere in the middle between the xc10 an the NX1 for me. It is sharp without being oversharpened like the GH4. Not as much resolution as the NX1 but this isn't a bad thing, the image looks more organic than the nx1. Also it doesn't give you crazy artifacts due to NR above ISO 500 like the xc10 ! Overall I like it, it definitely looks better with nikkor glass due to the speedbooster. The speedbooster adds extra character to this glass I can't quite explain it but long story short I love the g85

I wanted to ask you already that you had the two cameras, NX1 and GX85.

For an amateur it's a great downgrade to go from the Nx1 to the GX85. Always thinking about a family use, is the GX85 a good buy or better wait for the GH5?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eltorrete said:

I wanted to ask you already that you had the two cameras, NX1 and GX85.

For an amateur it's a great downgrade to go from the Nx1 to the GX85. Always thinking about a family use, is the GX85 a good buy or better wait for the GH5?

Why is it a 'great downgrade' for an amateur to go from the NX1 to the GX85? The GX85 is a great little camera, and it has one important feature lacking on the NX1. Would you mind sharing with us the reasons why you spent an entire year accumulating an NX1 system, then suddenly, you're selling it all? I thought only doctors and lawyers spent $2,000.00 to purchase a camera for family pictures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eltorrete said:

I wanted to ask you already that you had the two cameras, NX1 and GX85.

For an amateur it's a great downgrade to go from the Nx1 to the GX85. Always thinking about a family use, is the GX85 a good buy or better wait for the GH5?

I wouldn't get an gx85 just for family use. Why not get like a SONY RX10 ? I have the G85 by the way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jonpais said:

Why is it a 'great downgrade' for an amateur to go from the NX1 to the GX85? The GX85 is a great little camera, and it has one important feature lacking on the NX1. Would you mind sharing with us the reasons why you spent an entire year accumulating an NX1 system, then suddenly, you're selling it all? I thought only doctors and lawyers spent $2,000.00 to purchase a camera for family pictures.

My English is from google translator, I do not know if I will explain myself very well :-)

When I bought the NX1 with the lenses of the S range I thought I would have time and needs that I do not have now. 

Nx1 is a great camera but I always have the feeling that it offers a lot more than I can get it, besides finding for example a flash in Spain is practically impossible, the secondhand market is almost as expensive as new.

I do not like having a camera / lenses of more than 3000 $ standing in a closet many months in a year

 

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I wouldn't get an gx85 just for family use. Why not get like a SONY RX10 ? I have the G85 by the way. 

I have a RX100 V that is really the camera for the whole family, I would like an interchangeable lens for those few moments in which I can stop to make a photo or a video.

At the moment with 3 small daughters I think I almost make 80% video and 20% photo.

With the NX1 what I have had sometimes is gelatin effect having to follow my daughters running through the park for example.

I would need a camera with a decent zoom lens that does not have that jelly or rolling shutter effect
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, eltorrete said:

My English is from google translator, I do not know if I will explain myself very well :-)

When I bought the NX1 with the lenses of the S range I thought I would have time and needs that I do not have now. 

Nx1 is a great camera but I always have the feeling that it offers a lot more than I can get it, besides finding for example a flash in Spain is practically impossible, the secondhand market is almost as expensive as new.

I do not like having a camera / lenses of more than 3000 $ standing in a closet many months in a year

 

I have a RX100 V that is really the camera for the whole family, I would like an interchangeable lens for those few moments in which I can stop to make a photo or a video.

At the moment with 3 small daughters I think I almost make 80% video and 20% photo.

With the NX1 what I have had sometimes is gelatin effect having to follow my daughters running through the park for example.

I would need a camera with a decent zoom lens that does not have that jelly or rolling shutter effect
 

1) What is holding you back from getting good images with the Samsung? 2) There are decent zooms in every camera system 3) Unless you're buying an Arri, all consumer cameras suffer from rolling shutter to some degree 4) If you don't swing the camera around quickly, you can minimize rolling shutter 5) if your content is interesting, nobody is going to notice rolling shutter, especially your own children.

Honestly, although I don't own a Samsung camera, I've seen moving images from the NX1 that are absolutely lovely. I would just hold onto what you've got and ask for help from the community here if you're having trouble getting good image quality. It is unique, and if I could find one here in Vietnam, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. There is no reason to get rid of a system you spent so much money on just because of a flash. There must be a dealer you can order from in the EU somewhere. Don't sell your equipment. Anyhow, that's my advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

1) What is holding you back from getting good images with the Samsung? 2) There are decent zooms in every camera system 3) Unless you're buying an Arri, all consumer cameras suffer from rolling shutter to some degree 4) If you don't swing the camera around quickly, you can minimize rolling shutter 5) if your content is interesting, nobody is going to notice rolling shutter, especially your own children.

Honestly, although I don't own a Samsung camera, I've seen moving images from the NX1 that are absolutely lovely. I would just hold onto what you've got and ask for help from the community here if you're having trouble getting good image quality. It is unique, and if I could find one here in Vietnam, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. There is no reason to get rid of a system you spent so much money on just because of a flash. There must be a dealer you can order from in the EU somewhere. Don't sell your equipment. Anyhow, that's my advice.

The problem is not the camera, the camera is impressive and really gets a professional quality, or that see my amateur eyes.

The problem is that I do not need so much, for example I had the lens 50-150 F2 that I have practically not used or a Samyan 10mm VDSLR that I have only tried a couple of times.

In Spain the camera was not officially on sale, once samsung abandoned the market and almost everything is second-hand.

I have already sold the whole team for 3500 € and I want to spend more or less half on another more modest team but also do things well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are doing well expressing yourself considering English is not your first language !! It must be difficult.

I had the NX1 for a fair while and now have the GX85 & G85. 

I think keep your NX1 and get a GX85 as well. The GX85 will be a lighter (and very capable) alternative. Maybe get a 15/1.7 for the GX85 and use it those times you don't want carry the NX1 and heavy "S" lenses around.

Cheers.

 

Edit: Just realised you sold everything :)

Maybe get a G85 and 12-35 !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ending up in around the same price ballpark, but... the E-M1 Mark II w/ 12-40mm f/2.8?! Almost negligible rolling shutter effect. Amazing stabilization. Fast! Great camera for a bunch of stuff. All the buttons and options are quite overwhelming, but you can just stick to the basics. Get a Leica 15mm f/1.7 and maybe a Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7 instead if you prefer small primes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Ending up in around the same price ballpark, but... the E-M1 Mark II w/ 12-40mm f/2.8?! Almost negligible rolling shutter effect. Amazing stabilization. Fast! Great camera for a bunch of stuff. All the buttons and options are quite overwhelming, but you can just stick to the basics. Get a Leica 15mm f/1.7 and maybe a Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7 instead if you prefer small primes?

I got the g85 with a bunch of nikkor ais glass but the Pana/Leica branded glass has a look to them man. Its almost like shooting m43 Leica glass ! I prefer the look to the regular old lumix lenses and I myself may just get those two lenses you mentioned

@eltorrete I think you are over thinking this. The NX1 produces a sharp, clean image with its own aesthetic. Honestly the only difference between these cameras now are aesthetic,lens selection & stabilization

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...