classic digital

Liam

12 hours ago, mercer said:

Would love to see that... I love old Corman movies. Is it online anywhere?

Yeah, here's the silly trailer.  Funny thing is, our main actor became best buds with Matthew McConaughey after our shoot while doing that HBO series with him.  Oh, timing!  Fair warning, this movie is pretty ridiculous.  Man, to think this was a decade ago.  Too many drugs, not enough script.  (not me doing the drugs, the actors)  Good combo?  Probably not.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@IronFilm Yeah, not many compositing tricks - other than the occasional split screen trick that you can do inside an NLE (to mix different takes into a single shot). So a considerable chunk of the budget on that video would have gone on the drum kits!

Late 90's - early 00's there were a load of great music videos from Spike Jones and Michel Gondry as well as a load of great documentaries shot on DV or DVCAM.

I think nowadays it is refreshing to see prosumer video from that time period - since everything now looks technically superior. But as with what happened with super 8 and 16mm - early video formats can now invoke a similar nostalgia or 'low-fi chic' if chosen for the right project. Back in the day people were starting to try to make video look more like film - with mini 35 DOF adaptors and magic bullet de-interlace plugin...but the reality is that the video can look more interesting nowadays, if it's left as crusty as it can be.

I remember when this was number one in the music charts for many many weeks...I remember thinking that all the broadcasters must have hated showing such a rough looking video, but at the time is was mesmerising to see a music video presented this way...3 years before YouTube existed.

On 30.10.2016 at 11:36 PM, Liam said:

last new topic for the day, I promise.

Sometimes I’m just a sucker for a small sensor and oversharpening... I think Shameless (UK) looks amazing (no idea what it’s filmed on). Same with It’s Always Sunny (dvx100). Any suggestions for cameras with this charm? Just out of curiosity? Possibly some mini-dv... Or are there other flavors of charming digital you want to make me or anyone aware of? Maybe just workflow tips - digital noise overlays, low DR curves, etc? If anyone else even shares the opinion that crappy digital can be sexy

Awesome and fun topic. I remember somebody posted some nice DVX100 footage in a similar topic.

Anyway, some beautiful examples here. Would love a HD version of the DVX100, 3 CCD, 1080p, writing to card, nice ergonomics in a compact body.

22 hours ago, noone said:

I used to love mount the Q onto my Canon 85 1.2, that camera was the most fun (though it is just a small sensor camera).      

you could mount it on m43 and use the sensor crop. would give you something like a cropfactor 5 compared to 36x24mm FF:)

On 10/30/2016 at 10:36 PM, Liam said:

last new topic for the day, I promise.

Sometimes I’m just a sucker for a small sensor and oversharpening... I think Shameless (UK) looks amazing (no idea what it’s filmed on). Same with It’s Always Sunny (dvx100). Any suggestions for cameras with this charm? Just out of curiosity? Possibly some mini-dv... Or are there other flavors of charming digital you want to make me or anyone aware of? Maybe just workflow tips - digital noise overlays, low DR curves, etc? If anyone else even shares the opinion that crappy digital can be sexy

Shameless USA version was shot on the ARRI ALEXA and the Red One MX Camera. 

https://shotonwhat.com/shameless-2011

Shameless UK was shot on - nobody seems to know, though 2004 would bring up a number of options as to what they might have used. This made me laugh because in twelve years we will look back on many a post from 2016 and wonder why we spent so much dosh on long gone, obsolete camera bodies:

https://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/35/616478#617095

11 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, here's the silly trailer.  Funny thing is, our main actor became best buds with Matthew McConaughey after our shoot while doing that HBO series with him.  Oh, timing!  Fair warning, this movie is pretty ridiculous.  Man, to think this was a decade ago.  Too many drugs, not enough script.  (not me doing the drugs, the actors)  Good combo?  Probably not.  

Fuzzy, this trailer is awesome. Some of the coolest stuff I´ve seen here recently. Canon XH A1- does it save to tape only?

Where can we watch this?

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Canon XH A1- does it save to tape only?

Yeah, but I think they made a MarkII version that only used SD cards.  I'm pretty sure of it.  Google would know.

As for the film, it only screened 2 times 'kuz we never really finished all the scenes.  It was an incomplete edit.  Now-a-days it sits in a hard drive on my bedroom shelf asking, "Won't you complete me!?" The answer is no; probably because we decided to try to do stop motion animation for some of the monster shots --and that shite is HARD to finish...

My co-creator did load one of the scenes I shot in Michigan to youtube: (man, showing this stuff is like admitting that years ago you dated the neighborhood crazy person that bathed in tomato juice and would only eat a lentil/candy diet.)

16 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

And of course I shot my first feature on the DVX100. I still kinda like the look of it.

Yeah, the DVX100 def got a mojo to it. Remember being so angry I never got to try it, only had a consumer canon mini-DV. Used some Panasonic eng camera first year in film school (don't remember the model name), but it too had something, even if it was 50i only:

Second year we had the RED One, everyone was fighting for it except me. I prefered the Sony HDCam we had, despite the small sensor, upsampled 3:1:1 image. My DP hated me for choosing that camera everytime haha.

Hi @mercer - sorry for the delay. I've only just had a chance to look at the camera.

First off I have to thank you - while I was fiddling through the menus the lens unstuck itself, so I now don't have to get it fixed!

Unfortunately, except in HFR mode, there's no indication of framerate anywhere - however I found this on dpreview:

No specifications list in the 200+ page manual, wow.... But sure enough, on p. 150 I had found what I was looking for. The European LX7 being sold in Europe shoots 50p, 50i, and 25p only. Not 24p, and definitely not 30p. 60p, and 60i. And like with the No. American version, you cannot record AVCHD at 24Mbit/sec either unless you are using the 50p overcranked frame rate. For the other AVCHDs, quality drops down to only 17Mbit/sec, so it is even lower than what you can get out of the camera in MPEG-4 codec mode (17Mbit in normal AVCHD versus 20Mbit in highest quality MPEG-4).

So that seems fairly conclusive.

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/50747107

Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. The video sure does look nice, though, even within the limitations of framerate and bitrate. I always shoot it at 1/50 and motion is as good as I'd expect from this kind of camera.

40 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Hi @mercer - sorry for the delay. I've only just had a chance to look at the camera.

First off I have to thank you - while I was fiddling through the menus the lens unstuck itself, so I now don't have to get it fixed!

Unfortunately, except in HFR mode, there's no indication of framerate anywhere - however I found this on dpreview:

So that seems fairly conclusive.

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/50747107

Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. The video sure does look nice, though, even within the limitations of framerate and bitrate. I always shoot it at 1/50 and motion is as good as I'd expect from this kind of camera.

Thanks Tim, I am pretty sure the LX5 shoots 24p. So I will be on the lookout for one. But in all honestly the newer compacts are so full of great specs, I will probably pick up either a Canon or Panasonic newer model. 

On 1.11.2016 at 10:02 PM, mercer said:

Here's an interesting article my friend found. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/filmmakermagazine.com/88000-the-limits-of-quality-control/amp/?client=safari

And here's the trailer...

Awesome find, inspiring article and seemingly person. Thanks, merce!

On 1.11.2016 at 9:34 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, but I think they made a MarkII version that only used SD cards.  I'm pretty sure of it.  Google would know.

As for the film, it only screened 2 times 'kuz we never really finished all the scenes.  It was an incomplete edit.  Now-a-days it sits in a hard drive on my bedroom shelf asking, "Won't you complete me!?" The answer is no; probably because we decided to try to do stop motion animation for some of the monster shots --and that shite is HARD to finish...

My co-creator did load one of the scenes I shot in Michigan to youtube: (man, showing this stuff is like admitting that years ago you dated the neighborhood crazy person that bathed in tomato juice and would only eat a lentil/candy diet.)

I like the outside footage very much. Great energy and creative arrangement of shots! There have been some follow up cams with p2 cards i think. But price not as low as 300usd unfortunately. That´s what a DVX100 can be bought I think. 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:39 AM, mercer said:

Was it any good?

I got through half of it. I started watching at 1am and had to get up and 6am to go to work. probably finish tonight.

I personally liked it, because I like raw documentary looking stuff.(whatever that means) Perfectly fitting for this thread. It said to hell with low light noise "nonproblem." Even with the fuzziness, I think it captured the feeling.  Just made me realize that GAS is bad with me. >.<

forgot to mention I found it through Amazon Prime, but it's on Fandor.com and they have a 7 day free trial. So, watching for free.