Jump to content

Sony a6300 4k


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Andrew, I appreciate the response, and I'm glad you like the content Chris and I put out. We look forward your feedback on anything we produce, and I've gained a lot of useful information and

Hey Jordan No way! It kills me to have a misunderstanding like this I am an avid follower of your videos at The Camera Store, I abs

The lack of touch screen is unforgiveable.  For all the people that moan that pros don't need a touch screen in models like the A7 and RX series, seeing Dan Chung's News Shooter touch screen demo clea

Posted Images

  • Administrators

AF in stills mode with Canon lenses on Metabones adapter is mindblowingly fast in good light.

Can't seem to get them to track an object in video mode though.

The Sony lenses track but rather unreliably in low light.

So mixed bag with AF but I am loving the image so far.... seems better than expected... mainly due to NR and codec improvements? The rolling shutter is pretty severe though, like NX1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

AF in stills mode with Canon lenses on Metabones adapter is mindblowingly fast in good light.

Can't seem to get them to track an object in video mode though.

The Sony lenses track but rather unreliably in low light.

So mixed bag with AF but I am loving the image so far.... seems better than expected... mainly due to NR and codec improvements? The rolling shutter is pretty severe though, like NX1.

Yes, have the same problem. Ultra fast in photomode, but not working in videomode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I used the Sony 16-105 F4 and it wasn't exactly working well with that either... recognises people, but then slips to the background occasionally if you're not in optimal lighting or the background is more detailed and brighter than the subject.

It doesn't seem as bullet proof as the 1D X Mark II's dual pixel AF.

I am sure it is just a case of learning to work within the limitations of it.... sometimes it's amazing and a BIG improvement on before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

People are saying the 1080p 120fps looks soft.

Doesn't look to bad to me...

a6300-120fps.thumb.jpg.3bc46f6e4c0664ef9

Also colour in the Vivid profile is very "Fuji-like"

S-LOG may give you dynamic range, but if you want the most effortless out of camera colour just set it to Vivid.

In 120fps with centre-spot AF and enough light to feed the phase-detect pixels it rocks... locks on superbly to what is in the centre of the frame, no hunting.

Dim the light and contrast detect AF kicks in and it's still a bit poo.

Rolling shutter is the biggest issue I have had so far with the 4K 24p.

It's the most I've ever had. Locked down shots no issue but this definitely isn't a tool for violent handheld camera work.

However in the 1080p modes especially 120fps the rolling shutter issues almost disappear...

And 30fps is a BIT better...but crops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
35 minutes ago, Jordan Drake said:

Hey Andrew,

I appreciate the response, and I'm glad you like the content Chris and I put out. We look forward your feedback on anything we produce, and I've gained a lot of useful information and insight from this blog and the message boards.

However, I feel that essentially calling out the entire review community for being in Sony's pockets is excessive. If you were in North America and wanted to test a production A6300 before launch, the only way to do it was to fly to Miami for the press event. I wish that it was an option to have the camera shipped to us in Calgary for testing at that time, as I have other productions and a family to focus on outside of my TCSTV work. But the A6300 is such an important camera that we agreed to spend a few very busy, not at all relaxing days testing the camera out. You have to remember that this is a time when a huge number of enthusiasts pre-order their camera before launch, so these pre-release videos can serve a very useful purpose.

Most of the other journalists and reviewers I spoke with felt similarly. I'm sure a few odd ones didn't use the time to properly test the camera and wrote puff pieces about the camera and G-Master lenses, but many of us spent 16-20 hour days trying to make sure we had accurate impressions. I'd hate to see all of these people lumped together as shills for Sony.

It's a huge compliment that you see us as an honest, respectable source, and we appreciate you embedding our video on the blog post. Chris appreciates your beard-envy.  We hope you keep watching!

Absolutely, we all owe you one for the early A6300 coverage and you guys went out of your way to deliver...

Yes very unfair of me to make it sound like I was lumping people together.

If I had judged everyone the same I would have had to include myself in that as I have been to Sony press events for cameras organised in Berlin. I went to one for the a7R II for instance. They served us free champagne. I drank it. Went home. Wrote that the full frame 4K image looked like a dog had done a crap. I think this is really important in the industry. The PR company hasn't been in touch since. Sony however... have. I think they prefer honest feedback above the relationship bridge building bullshit any-day.

Personally I think their influence is becoming pervasive and it is rare to see someone come back from one of these events and raise an issue with the camera in public.

When you and Chris came back from Miami though you did a balanced video on it and the information was extremely useful for everyone thinking of buying the camera or not.

In the end people can tell if we are being balanced and they can tell when a site like DPReview is going down the drain with advertorial.

Hopefully also a site which still refuses to carry advertising (like mine) still means something.

I'm not sure it does any more.

Anyway, from the bottom of my heart be sure that I did not mean to lump your superb efforts in with the real intended target of my barbed comments, which were aimed at a minority online and not the good guys like you. I mean that.

Also, it's great to see you on the forum, hope you stick around, despite my occasional rants :)

Cine 4 is looking superb on the A6300.

None of the colour issues of the Creative Styles or the vast majority of the other Picture Profiles (ITU 709 particularly horrid)

I've graded it lightly with Fujiflm Velvia in Film Convert's a7s profile for Cine4.

I am astounded by the image quality of this camera for $1000... Take a look at that detail close up in 100% view if you download the frame grab below... it is FLAWLESS. Whatever 6K to 4K scaling method they have on the new processor... it works.

I prefer this image to my FS5.

a6300-4k-cine4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Absolutely, we all owe you one for the early A6300 coverage and you guys went out of your way to deliver...

Yes very unfair of me to make it sound like I was lumping people together.

If I had judged everyone the same I would have had to include myself in that as I have been to Sony press events for cameras organised in Berlin. I went to one for the a7R II for instance. They served us free champagne. I drank it. Went home. Wrote that the full frame 4K image looked like a dog had done a crap. I think this is really important in the industry. The PR company hasn't been in touch since. Sony however... have. I think they prefer honest feedback above the relationship bridge building bullshit any-day.

Personally I think their influence is becoming pervasive and it is rare to see someone come back from one of these events and raise an issue with the camera in public.

When you and Chris came back from Miami though you did a balanced video on it and the information was extremely useful for everyone thinking of buying the camera or not.

In the end people can tell if we are being balanced and they can tell when a site like DPReview is going down the drain with advertorial.

Hopefully also a site which still refuses to carry advertising (like mine) still means something.

I'm not sure it does any more.

Anyway, from the bottom of my heart be sure that I did not mean to lump your superb efforts in with the real intended target of my barbed comments, which were aimed at a minority online and not the good guys like you. I mean that.

Also, it's great to see you on the forum, hope you stick around, despite my occasional rants :)

Cine 4 is looking superb on the A6300.

None of the colour issues of the Creative Styles or the vast majority of the other Picture Profiles (ITU 709 particularly horrid)

I've graded it lightly with Fujiflm Velvia in Film Convert's a7s profile for Cine4.

I am astounded by the image quality of this camera for $1000... Take a look at that detail close up in 100% view if you download the frame grab below... it is FLAWLESS. Whatever 6K to 4K scaling method they have on the new processor... it works.

I prefer this image to my FS5.

a6300-4k-cine4.jpg

 

 

Worth the upgrade from the A6000 if the end result will be 1080? and stills.

Thanks for posting this early impressions.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Hitfabryk -

Friendly forum etiquette tip... Please don't quote long posts unnecessarily, just reply straight under them, as all this quoting doubles up on itself and makes the page extremely long to scroll through.

Yes worth the upgrade from the A6000 definitely, unless you have a compelling reason to go for a different model entirely like the A7S II or NX1. Most people won't, I don't think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

The rolling shutter is a bit less in it but the idea of 30p and a crop doesn't really appeal to me artistically

I think this is a great camera for wide angle Super 35mm.

Telephoto not so much because of the rolling shutter. Handholding an 85mm or 135mm, forget it.

Sigma 20mm F1.4 on the Speed Booster, now we're talking! It's stunning with this and barely any hint of distortion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am astounded by the image quality of this camera for $1000... Take a look at that detail close up in 100% view if you download the frame grab below... it is FLAWLESS. Whatever 6K to 4K scaling method they have on the new processor... it works.

I prefer this image to my FS5.

a6300-4k-cine4.jpg

Wow, this looks seriously impressive.  I wonder how the A6300 stacks up against the A7RII in S35 mode?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up my A6300 this morning at Samy's in LA on the way to a shoot at an auto body shop and have been shooting with it (in Slog2 PP7) in place of my A7s. I did a quick and dirty sharpness test between 4K 24p, 4K 30p, 1080 24p, and 1080 60p. I also threw in a 1080p Slog2 frame from the A7s version 1.

 

All images are on a speed booster (non ultra) using a Canon 24-105 F4L IS (wide open at reported f2.8) through a "Fader ND Mark II" brand variable ND. This is my doc-style work setup and now that I'm seeing the results I'll definitely be redoing this test stopped down a little on a different lens, with a less busy subject. Good news is that the 4K 30 mode doesn't seem to suffer from any weird image quality loss or additional noise compared to the 24p mode aside from the obvious crop. I was very surprised at 20,000 ISO that the shot has very little noise in either mode. Granted it's still daytime and I just applied lots of ND for a proper exposure, but I'm going to do more tests as night falls.

https://philymack.box.com/s/3x7ge6qqeqgvsvj3z4t6e05oi7vc00a4

 

 

Overall, having a good time with the camera today especially because I was able to roll right into a gig with it, but between the 4K having a near-dealbreaker amount of rolling shutter (10-11ms more than the A7s II 4K mode) and the 1080p mode being a little soft, it's going to be a tough sell for me. You can definitely tell that the 1080p mode almost looks like a combo between the softness of, say, a 5D Mark III's video mode with the dynamic range of an A7s. I'm dedicating the weekend to tests and have rented a Sony E 24mm 1.8, a 16-70 f4 OSS, and a Sony E 35mm to give them all a shot. I've got plenty of A7s Is and IIs through work so I'm sort of debating whether I want to keep the A6300 for myself as a personal stills/video powerhouse or jump to an A7rII. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes

And it is continuous, not a cache record like on the FS5

PS - why do you want sound for slow-mo?

That's great to hear, thanks. I shoot lots of action sports so 120fps continuous recording is a huge advantage. I usually don't have time to record sound with an external recorder, so recording 120fps with sound allows me to either slow down the footage quite a bit or play it back at realtime and use the original sound that I recorder. Makes sense? :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...