C100 Markii, Sony FS5 or just keep my Panasonic Gear.

Cassius McGowan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What are the challenges/downsides that you're currently having with your current camera/s so we'd be able to tell you which camera that solves them? Not just the challenges but also tell us if there's something specific you desire in a new camera. 

What are the challenges/downsides that you're currently having with your current camera/s so we'd be able to tell you which camera that solves them? Not just the challenges but also tell us if there's something specific you desire in a new camera. 

Low light, Audio, Nd filters, and other stuff as well. I love my GH series cameras but I'm trying to make sure I didn't need to upgrade before I did so. Was just thinking I needed a camera that I didn't have to have a lot of add-ons to get the sound and picture I wanted. 

Hi Cassius,

I film the same things you do with the same cameras and my top upgrade choice would definitely be the C100 Mark 2 for the reasons mentioned above. It simply ticks every box for the work we do with no negatives, apart from of course the price tag =)

Hoping to invest at the beginning on the next season, as long as I've made enough sales! Fingers crossed for a timely price drop ;-)

I own the c100 mark ii, panasonic gx7, lx100, nikon d5500. I wouldn't say the C100 is a significant step up in image quality from any of those cameras but the usability is really amazing, especially if you're wanting to get run n gun audio as well using a shotgun mic. I tried the Sony FS5 the other day too and that seemed like another step up in usability. The internal 10bit and high framerates sound good too. If you have the money I would probably go for that.

Edit: Attached unedited snapshots of a shoot I did yesterday with the C100 and GX7. Which is which? Could you still tell if the colours were graded to match?

vlcsnap-2015-12-14-21h13m44s171.png

vlcsnap-2015-12-14-21h13m53s514.png

Was trying to decide on selling my Gh4, Gh3 and G6 and Lenses to get a Canon Mark ii or Sony FS5 with some Lenses. I do weddings, corporate and music videos.  Any helpful info would be appreciated. 

One thing that others haven't picked up here is music videos. How many do you do? 

The 240fps 10bit on the FS5 is a huge feature that music video clients LOVE. Huge selling point. Plus the 10 bit is super useful for Chroma Key. 

The FS5 partners well to the A7S II for multi-cam. Canon doesn't really have an answer for a C-series b-cam, apart from the limited but lovely picture of the XC10. 

I've not used the C100, only the C300. That camera is the best camera I've used for docu-style by an absolute mile. 

I own the c100 mark ii, panasonic gx7, lx100, nikon d5500. I wouldn't say the C100 is a significant step up in image quality from any of those cameras but the usability is really amazing, especially if you're wanting to get run n gun audio as well using a shotgun mic. I tried the Sony FS5 the other day too and that seemed like another step up in usability. The internal 10bit and high framerates sound good too. If you have the money I would probably go for that.

Edit: Attached unedited snapshots of a shoot I did yesterday with the C100 and GX7. Which is which? Could you still tell if the colours were graded to match?

White balance was off on the C100 shot (too green, cold). WB updated and saturation added below. Skin tones look more natural on the C100:

image1.thumb.png.0647c1aaa95be0bd06b9aea 

For weddings, recommend C100 II: great color and AF.

White balance was off on the C100 shot (too green, cold). WB updated and saturation added below. Skin tones look more natural on the C100:

Actually it's the opposite. The c100 was whitebalanced with a card whilst the GX7 I just tweaked one of the presets. The c100 has the most accurate colour but not necessarily the most pleasing. Strangely, the LUTs I made to make Panasonic colours look more like Canon colours works very well on the C100 footage. 

Actually it's the opposite. The c100 was whitebalanced with a card whilst the GX7 I just tweaked one of the presets. The c100 has the most accurate colour but not necessarily the most pleasing. Strangely, the LUTs I made to make Panasonic colours look more like Canon colours works very well on the C100 footage. 

Was it a fluorescent or LED light? I hardly ever get green tinted footage with the C100. Usually leans toward magenta.

Was trying to decide on selling my Gh4, Gh3 and G6 and Lenses to get a Canon Mark ii or Sony FS5 with some Lenses. I do weddings, corporate and music videos.  Any helpful info would be appreciated. 

You'd be moving from a 3 camera set up to a single camera?? Not a choice I'd ever go for weddings. Multi cam is a must. 

But if you going in that direction then my view is: FS5 specs absolutely beats the pants off the C100 mk2

However... the FS7 is only a little bit more and offers even more. So it is kinda hard to choose a FS5 when there is FS7 instead (though this can be a slipper slope.... for instance I've been seeing some stunning deals for 2ndhand F5 cameras lately!).