Jump to content
Geoff CB

Your ideal NX1 Settings

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Parker said:

@ricardo_sousa11 Holy shit dude! Those frames are so gorgeous, every one. Your stuff is always so motivating for me to go out and shoot. I for one would absolutely buy some LUTs from you. Keep up the good work, man. Very impressive stuff. 

Thank you so much!

I still believe this camera can be so much more explored, its really an amazing piece of tech, I just got an a7sII and IMO its not producing an image as clean and sharp as the NX1, but im still testing it.

Another one, this time, a GIF from a wedding im just finishing.

http://giphy.com/gifs/l3vR4dV4Dzorzsfm0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely off topic: 

Man! your babies are so cool, that I do not even care about cameras anymore! 

It seems that they are going to post 4K 120fps videos of you here, in a few years time with the NX1 that they will have hacked on their own, while you sleep!

They seem very lively and very intelligent, congrats!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ricardo_sousa11, count me in for the purchase of your LUT pack as well.

Would each LUT have a different set of in camera settings? The reason I ask is I am going for a two week trip real soon and would love to know what setting is should use.

I was planning on using the setting you posted a while ago (Normal Gamma, sat -5, sharpness -10 and contrast -3, MB +9) I have been using these settings for a few weeks now and I really like these settings. The out of camera look is quite flat witch I like. are you still using these settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

@ricardo_sousa11, count me in for the purchase of your LUT pack as well.

Would each LUT have a different set of in camera settings? The reason I ask is I am going for a two week trip real soon and would love to know what setting is should use.

I was planning on using the setting you posted a while ago (Normal Gamma, sat -5, sharpness -10 and contrast -3, MB +9) I have been using these settings for a few weeks now and I really like these settings. The out of camera look is quite flat witch I like. are you still using these settings?

The luts would work with those settings, it seems like a lot of people still use them, including myself, so all my "gradings" would work on those settings. 

All luts would work with those settings alone, since its what I use the most. My new settings are just slithgly improved, they dont change the look much at all, just slightly less banding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

The luts would work with those settings, it seems like a lot of people still use them, including myself, so all my "gradings" would work on those settings. 

All luts would work with those settings alone, since its what I use the most. My new settings are just slithgly improved, they dont change the look much at all, just slightly less banding.

@ricardo_sousa11, How much do you think your LUT pack will cost? Also Any chance you can share your updated settings or are you gonna wait to sell with the lut pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Antonis said:

Here is my latest NX1 edit. Including the dreaded exposure shift issue seen in the first shot...
The majority was shot in 1080p 60fps & 120fps and graded heavily with DeLuts from James Miller.
 

 

Nice video man. I do the car events with my nx1 as well. I particularly love the edits. Which lenses are you using and this is kind of off topic but how do you do those slick transitions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

@ricardo_sousa11, How much do you think your LUT pack will cost? Also Any chance you can share your updated settings or are you gonna wait to sell with the lut pack?

Thats something i'd like to ask you guys,

what do you guys think its a fair value for a small 10-15 lut package? 

This is something i'd like to keep doing, so depending on the sucess of this first pack, I will continue to improve and release a pack 2, 3 and so on.

The pack will include black and white, as well as color.

My current settings are (I didnt share them earlier because I really havent had much time to come home and sit down) : 

Gamma Norm | Master Black level 7 | Luminance 16-237 | Smart Range+ ON | Saturation - 4 | Contrast -4 | Sharpness - 10

As you can see, they arent as different as the others I was using, but the difference is quite big when grading. I am not a pro colorist, or anything of that sort, but these work great for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

 

This LUT makes the videos quite a bit brighter on my system, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Did you use the lut in combination with the nx1 settings I posted? Can you also specify what program you used and if you did any grading prior to use? The lut should only apply a moderate contrast/sat and color change. The image of the tree in my last post shows the overall change.

20 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thats something i'd like to ask you guys,

what do you guys think its a fair value for a small 10-15 lut package? 

This is something i'd like to keep doing, so depending on the sucess of this first pack, I will continue to improve and release a pack 2, 3 and so on.

The pack will include black and white, as well as color.

My current settings are (I didnt share them earlier because I really havent had much time to come home and sit down) : 

Gamma Norm | Master Black level 7 | Luminance 16-237 | Smart Range+ ON | Saturation - 4 | Contrast -4 | Sharpness - 10

As you can see, they arent as different as the others I was using, but the difference is quite big when grading. I am not a pro colorist, or anything of that sort, but these work great for me.

Hi Ricardo, I am excited to test these settings out. Do you currently use Hue vs Luminance curves in your grading? This is currently one area the settings I have been using are rather limited in. To be fair it is specifically made for accuracy out of camera for use in rec709. I plan on doing another test specifically to see what in camera settings work better for more extensive grading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thats something i'd like to ask you guys,

what do you guys think its a fair value for a small 10-15 lut package? 

This is something i'd like to keep doing, so depending on the sucess of this first pack, I will continue to improve and release a pack 2, 3 and so on.

The pack will include black and white, as well as color.

My current settings are (I didnt share them earlier because I really havent had much time to come home and sit down) : 

Gamma Norm | Master Black level 7 | Luminance 16-237 | Smart Range+ ON | Saturation - 4 | Contrast -4 | Sharpness - 10

As you can see, they arent as different as the others I was using, but the difference is quite big when grading. I am not a pro colorist, or anything of that sort, but these work great for me.

Thank you for the updated settings. I will give them a try hopefully later today. 

Do you really use smart rang+ ON? I have not done any testing with this because I normally just ignore this kind of "auto" adjust feature.

 

As for the cost of your LUT pack I honestly have no idea. I would think something like $20 USD and you would probably sell about 25-30 packs so you would make around $500 - $600 not too bad really.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

 

Do you really use smart rang+ ON? I have not done any testing with this because I normally just ignore this kind of "auto" adjust feature.

 

 

Has it been confirmed that smartrange+ is an auto setting or a static setting? when letting the camera choose exposure I noticed it want's to increase shutter speed or aperture, apparently to make protect highlights.

2 hours ago, arourke said:

Did you use the lut in combination with the nx1 settings I posted? Can you also specify what program you used and if you did any grading prior to use? The lut should only apply a moderate contrast/sat and color change. The image of the tree in my last post shows the overall change.

I tried it with very similar setting of footage I had. The first LUT didn't increase brightness. Maybe it's an exposure thing, do you expose to 0?

How did you make the LUT from the .srw?

I know it's possible to make a .dcp but I don't know how to convert the .dcp to a .cube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blah Blah said:

 

Has it been confirmed that smartrange+ is an auto setting or a static setting? when letting the camera choose exposure I noticed it want's to increase shutter speed or aperture, apparently to make protect highlights.

I tried it with very similar setting of footage I had. The first LUT didn't increase brightness. Maybe it's an exposure thing, do you expose to 0?

How did you make the LUT from the .srw?

I know it's possible to make a .dcp but I don't know how to convert the .dcp to a .cube.

I used the .SRW file with the x-rite profile created as a reference. Used the Eyedropper on each of the squares to compare and then correct. This was used after first applying the Color Match feature of Resolve on a node, then using RGB Curves, Hue vs Hue, Hue vs Sat, Hue vs Luminence (to a small extent, anything more than a +/-10% change introduced artifacts) to further improve accuracy. The Color Match feature of Resolve does leave you with a pretty neutral and desaturated image so I added a Hue vs Sat curve to match the Saturation levels as seen in the .SRW file. The lut was designed for exposed to 0, it might be my use of 0-255, Gamma DR, or -5 Black level. Try using the offset or exposure dial in tandem with the lut, hopefully that helps/works? I should be able to recreate the lut for use with other Gamma & settings in general (16-235, etc). These would be a heavier grade so I do not know how well additional look luts (M31) would work with them.

Beyond correcting the overall color of video to closer match a corrected still, I wanted to give myself a starting point similar to my editing in Lightroom. I have had some good results manually recreating some popular lightroom presets. The Hue vs Luminence curve is the remaining piece for me to achieve a closer match. I am also working on some other luts that I might end up sharing, but those are much more work and require some testing. I want to look further into what settings work for grading for the styles I am aiming to recreate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...