Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

I used the 16-50 2/2.8 S lens only (only lens I have for it). I generated a LUT from resolve's Color Match feature (input LUT) if you would like to play with it. Keep in mind this is based of a single example after setting my white balance with the gray card and the listed settings. For a more accurate run and gun setting (when I don't have the color checker with me) I would ideally find the average variation between color temps and in camera white balance.

Gamma C was more accurate than Normal (Gamma DR being the best). I tried out all of the picture wizard settings, but they were pretty all over the place (not that I was expecting much out of Forrest or Retro). A second setting that came oddly close to my listed settings from the last post used all of the same settings except for (color 1.04 Red, 0.93 Green, 1.04 Blue).

I am going to play around with this setting in some non-clinical uses. I like it so far in tandem with resolve's film looks, as long as they are scaled back a little. I do like Ricardo's Settings with Gamma C and the raised black level for more heavily graded uses.

NX1-GammaDR-custom-alpha_1.SAM_0908_1080P_ProRes422_LT.cube

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, arourke said:

I used the 16-50 2/2.8 S lens only (only lens I have for it). I generated a LUT from resolve's Color Match feature (input LUT) if you would like to play with it. Keep in mind this is based of a single example after setting my white balance with the gray card and the listed settings. For a more accurate run and gun setting (when I don't have the color checker with me) I would ideally find the average variation between color temps and in camera white balance.

Gamma C was more accurate than Normal (Gamma DR being the best). I tried out all of the picture wizard settings, but they were pretty all over the place (not that I was expecting much out of Forrest or Retro). A second setting that came oddly close to my listed settings from the last post used all of the same settings except for (color 1.04 Red, 0.93 Green, 1.04 Blue).

I am going to play around with this setting in some non-clinical uses. I like it so far in tandem with resolve's film looks, as long as they are scaled back a little. I do like Ricardo's Settings with Gamma C and the raised black level for more heavily graded uses.

NX1-GammaDR-custom-alpha_1.SAM_0908_1080P_ProRes422_LT.cube

So the lut should be applied over a file recorded with gamma dr, r 1.04, g 0.93, b1.04 and no other changes? Thx.

3 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

So the lut should be applied over a file recorded with gamma dr, r 1.04, g 0.93, b1.04 and no other changes? Thx.

The lut (alpha test version) was designed for the following settings:
Color Checker NX1 Settings
Luminance Level 0-255, Master Black Level -5
Gamma DR {Color - 1.00Red, 0.95 Green, 1.00 Blue, Saturation: -3, Sharpness: -10, Contrast: -3, Hue: 0}

The other settings below came close in accuracy, but didn't work as consistently across color temps (so I would not recommend them unless someone else wanted to do further testing with a Xrite Color Checker).
Alt Color Checker Rough Draft (don't use this!)
Gamma DR {Color - 1.04Red, 0.93 Green, 1.04 Blue, Saturation: -3, Sharpness: -10, Contrast: -3, Hue: 0}

If you haven't used the Color Match feature in Davinci Resolve before, it does result in an overall desaturated/neutral image once applied (just an accurate starting point). The intent of these settings is to have as minimal of grading applied from in camera video to a color accurate starting point. This would also help with having more latitude to match other cameras. Most of this is to correct the shift/inaccurate deep red/magenta, deep blue, and aqua/teal colors (which in turn help skin tone and in general). At the moment I do not know how beneficial these settings will be without the use of a color checker. Currently I use the color checker to set a custom white balance and then use color match in resolve(the lut I attached was generated off of the color match feature in resolve). The lut is just a (beta test) file for people who do not have a color checker who want to try these settings.

Within Resolve or other programs you can then convert from Rec.709 to Linear or other color spaces after using the settings and lut as a starting point.

19 hours ago, Sten said:

Can't you replicate the ALEXA Log C profile?

I was able to use a .cube file from the ARRI lut generator, but it did result in some strong saturation/macro blocking in use with resolve's 3d lut > arri > alexa clog to rec709. I have seen people match bmpcc to arri log c with the use of a color checker/resolve's color match, but have not done enough research/testing at the moment for the best method of shifting NX1's video after using resolve's color match into a log space. At the moment I have had better results with Rec.709 luts applied after using color match then converting it into a log or other space and applying a grade/lut.

3 hours ago, arourke said:

I was able to use a .cube file from the ARRI lut generator, but it did result in some strong saturation/macro blocking in use with resolve's 3d lut > arri > alexa clog to rec709. I have seen people match bmpcc to arri log c with the use of a color checker/resolve's color match, but have not done enough research/testing at the moment for the best method of shifting NX1's video after using resolve's color match into a log space. At the moment I have had better results with Rec.709 luts applied after using color match then converting it into a log or other space and applying a grade/lut.

NX1 in-camera "flat" profile should be able to match the ALEXA Log C

Thanks arourke!

I found the Resolve Automatching a bit weird. Using a generated colorchecker (from Babelcolor) the values don't match perfectly. Also the Oneshot chart is supposed to match the values on vectorscope and they do when using a file but using autocorrect throws them out.

6 hours ago, Blah Blah said:

Thanks arourke!

I found the Resolve Automatching a bit weird. Using a generated colorchecker (from Babelcolor) the values don't match perfectly. Also the Oneshot chart is supposed to match the values on vectorscope and they do when using a file but using autocorrect throws them out.

Yeah the Color Match feature isn't perfect, but I still like it as a starting point. I have attached a screenshot of a mask applied to one strip of colors in the chart. I usually then apply a slight Hue vs Hue, and Hue vs Saturation curve then move on to grading. The chart in this specific shot was shot under an overcast day, so green and yellow were pretty vivid in person. 

I plan on doing a comparison between RAW NX1 images with an Xrite dng profile applied verse videos with resolve's color match. Partially for better accuracy and also so that I might be able to imitate how I tweak (and presets) images in Lightroom (depending on how much I can push the files). I am currently not using the bitrate hack, but I would imagine it would help with the video's flexibility to grade further.

post-correction-scope.jpg

Here is an updated lut for the settings. This was created with the use of Resolve's color match then HSL curves to further match a RAW file of the same scene with a DNG profile created from Xrite's software. It isn't a perfect match, but it is definitely usable as is (and a RAW file has much more latitude).

Color Checker NX1 Settings
Gamma DR {Color - 1.00Red, 0.95 Green, 1.00 Blue, Saturation: -3, Sharpness: -10, Contrast: -3, Hue: 0}

photo-raw-with-dng-profile.jpg

Photo/Raw file with a DNG profile applied generated from X-rite's software into lightroom (same scene/settings in camera)

video-with-lut.jpg

Video screenshot with Lut applied

video-with-lut-skintone-example.jpg

Video screenshot with Lut applied with example of skin tone

NX1-GDR-ar_custom-beta.cube

@ricardo_sousa11  Was scrolling through the old pages making sure I didn't miss anything on the in camera settings...Well somehow, I missed this pic below...

Are you kidding me?  What a great look out of the NX1.  Would you mind detailing your in camera settings for this shot and any LUT / coloring combinations you might have used.  I have to shoot closer to this...

YRJaQH8.jpg

On 10/23/2016 at 4:19 PM, Marco Tecno said:

Oh this seems so good!!!!!

Could you take a screemshot with some green in it (eg trees). Thx!!!

Thanks. I am pretty happy with the settings and plan on sharing some videos soon. I have had some good results at night other than a few underexposed auto white balance with mixed sodium/fluorescent (but even those I believe are really down to it being underexposed and bad lighting). I plan on building a separate corrective lut for night uses after more experimenting/testing.

nx1-grading.jpgnx1-lut-ex.jpg

example footage screenshot with custom settings and lut applied (no other correction)