Jump to content
Jimmy

Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ChemaMumford said:

I think the Zacuto EVF doesnt work on 50-60p.. But it works with 24,25,30p.. I have been researching a bit, and it happens also to GH4 users.. The zacuto even in works in 4k 24p underscaled but not 1080 60p

So sad man.. I am thinking to sell mine and get a Cineroid EVF4CHE (hdmi version) If anybody else knows another nice option for evf that supports from 24p to 60p.. I would like to hear about it 

Really sad. Maybe zacuto will release a firmware to add [email protected] Or maybe not. Probably not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

Really sad. Maybe zacuto will release a firmware to add [email protected] Or maybe not. Probably not. 

I wrote to Zacuto and they answered that the EVF Pro will never work for 60p due to hardware limitations.. Such a nice product but limited.. They suggest me the gratical hd or the z.. But no thank you..  I think i will go with the cineroid EVF4CHE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChemaMumford said:

I think the Zacuto EVF doesnt work on 50-60p.. But it works with 24,25,30p.. I have been researching a bit, and it happens also to GH4 users.. The zacuto even in works in 4k 24p underscaled but not 1080 60p

So sad man.. I am thinking to sell mine and get a Cineroid EVF4CHE (hdmi version) If anybody else knows another nice option for evf that supports from 24p to 60p.. I would like to hear about it 

Yes, it doesn't output 60p on the EVF. 60p is fine on a TV. I was happy because the setup is light with a pistol grip. There could be a firmware upgrade or maybe it's the signal from the Micro? In any case, it doesn't work. :(  Poo.

edit: Ah, I see, so a no-go on the Zacuto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChemaMumford said:

I wrote to Zacuto and they answered that the EVF Pro will never work for 60p due to hardware limitations.. Such a nice product but limited.. They suggest me the gratical hd or the z.. But no thank you..  I think i will go with the cineroid EVF4CHE

thanks for your answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved my Pocket files, but for easiness of use I switched to a GH4. 

I tried using Cine-D, V-LogL and Andrew' settings, but I finally find that Natural (with contrast and saturation all the way down) is my cup of tea.
Of course I miss that nice flat profile and now, with MicroCinema (60 fps, better batteries' life etc.) I'm thinking to buy it with a monitor, maybe the Video Assist (or some cheaper that does not record).

Do you think it could be a good choice for a less-digital look or the Sony A6300 (APS-C) with his S-Log is a better option?

Thank you very much for your tips :) 

p.s. (I don't want to use any Speedbooster, I have an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 and a nice set of Zeiss CY)

Just now, JazzBox said:

I loved my Pocket files, but for easiness of use I switched to a GH4. 

I tried using Cine-D, V-LogL and Andrew' settings, but I finally find that Natural (with contrast and saturation all the way down) is my cup of tea.
Of course I miss that nice flat profile and now, with MicroCinema (60 fps, better batteries' life etc.) I'm thinking to buy it with a monitor, maybe the Video Assist (or some cheaper that does not record).

Do you think it could be a good choice for a less-digital look or the Sony A6300 (APS-C) with his S-Log is a better option?

Thank you very much for your tips :) 

p.s. (I don't want to use any Speedbooster, I have an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 that is good on both GH4 and BlackMagick and a nice set of Zeiss CY that I can use on A6300 as well)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Zak,

As a GH4 user, what are your thoughts on switching over to the BMMCC? Are you happy trading the 4K resolution of the GH4 for the better color space and color science of the Blackmagic camera? Any noticeable increase in moire or other visual artifacting on the BMMCC as opposed to the GH4? I'm sitting on the fence right now trying to figure out if I should sell my GH4 and go for the BMMCC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChemaMumford said:

I think the Zacuto EVF doesnt work on 50-60p.. But it works with 24,25,30p.. I have been researching a bit, and it happens also to GH4 users.. The zacuto even in works in 4k 24p underscaled but not 1080 60p

So sad man.. I am thinking to sell mine and get a Cineroid EVF4CHE (hdmi version) If anybody else knows another nice option for evf that supports from 24p to 60p.. I would like to hear about it 

Can we record 60p internally and send 25 or 30p out the hdmi?  I wouldn't have any need to actually monitor at 60p. As long as you can see what is being recorded, 30p would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xrayspecs said:

Hey Zak,

As a GH4 user, what are your thoughts on switching over to the BMMCC? Are you happy trading the 4K resolution of the GH4 for the better color space and color science of the Blackmagic camera? Any noticeable increase in moire or other visual artifacting on the BMMCC as opposed to the GH4? I'm sitting on the fence right now trying to figure out if I should sell my GH4 and go for the BMMCC.

just my opinion, but yes, I haven't turned my GH4 on since November when I bought a Pocket. Just finished shooting a short doc with it. And now I have the Micro which I prefer in many ways to the Pocket.  But yes, being that I was always finishing in 2K or 1080p, I don't miss the 4K so much. Would be great to have it all but color and DR come first if I have to choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xrayspecs said:

Hey Zak,

As a GH4 user, what are your thoughts on switching over to the BMMCC? Are you happy trading the 4K resolution of the GH4 for the better color space and color science of the Blackmagic camera? Any noticeable increase in moire or other visual artifacting on the BMMCC as opposed to the GH4? I'm sitting on the fence right now trying to figure out if I should sell my GH4 and go for the BMMCC.

Don't own the BMMCC, but I do own the pocket and GH4, so I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in if it helped.

Image quality overall is better with the pocket. Solidly better in pro res, and a lot better in raw. I like using it more when I can.

The GH4 has been very useful for the low rent jobs that I make my living on for a number of reasons. Battery life, ,memory card space and reframing with 4K in post being the biggest. 

I must say, coming from the GH2/GH4, I'm disappointed with the prevalence of moire with the BMPCC, particularly on wider detailed shots of architecture. I'm used to never worrying about it with the other two cameras, but it's often there with the pocket. 

Still though. I llike the pocket the most overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZachGoodwin said:

Storage space, battery life, and a moving image. That is my only worry.

GEEZE ZAK YOU ARE SUCH A PLEEB FOR I AM THE HIGH AND MIGHTY EMPEROR OF THIS FORUM AND YOU SHOULD BOW DOWN TO ME!

Really dude? ;) Look at the puppies in my image everytime you feel the need to strangle me along with the rest of everyone in this world for some reason..... I don't know but for some reason I am perhaps the most stranglable person there is.... Earth is perhaps the craziest planet to live on.

what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all.  So my two Micros (I shoot dual-body 3D and damnit, they've got proper Genlock) seem to be good to go, should have them some time next week.  I've spent the best part of a year getting all the parts I need (cables, filters etc) and writing software for tablet-based viewing and remote control, and the gear has slowly been gathering dust in a box ; ).  Now no GS, boo!  I just hope they don't screw us early adopters who are buying regardless (with mixed feelings in my case) with an updated version at the next NAB (or a sudden price drop|) - that would suck.  Still, I locked in a good deal on them before the exchange rate dived.

I have two Pockets and agree that moiré Is their one fatal flaw (that accent came from spell correction : ).  Often you don't see any, but when you do it can be awful.  The tiny screen also doesn't reveal it, so it can mess up a shot and you only find out in the edit.  I really don't like it eg. when shooting lit up cityscapes at dusk, that kind of thing with lots of small highlights.  I absolutely hate the rgb shimmer you can get around the in-focus highlight edges and the added sparkle when you slow-pan.

Considering these cams are all about purity of colour, they really should fix this once and for all.  I've complained a lot that I don't get why they don't.  Sure (it seems) AA filters are expensive.  But surely they would be cheaper for BM to include (it could be an order option) than the aftermarket cost for us.  Or if that complicates their assembly line, they could still resell them as a DIY install bundle, and save us some cash.  Apparently there are new types available that blur less than the older type used to (read up on it once), that would be ideal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be able to get a composite signal out of the BMMCC while shooting 60P.

As of now, HDMI output is the same FPS as what's being shot. There is no option in the menu to change the output settings like most of the major mirrorless / DSLRs on the market.

Looking to test the resolution of the composite to see if it's even worth shooting at.

While testing, I switched to 60P to see what it would look like and I lost the video signal on the Zacucta EVF Pro. I had no way of resetting the FPS. At that point, I had to connect the BMMCC to a television to rest the FPS back to a recognizable video feed.

Shooters need to be aware of this before embarking on an epic journey only to accidentally change frame rates and loose their video feed permanently. I wonder if there is a way to program a Custom Setting and simply hold the power button and another button at the same time in order to reset user prefs? If not, what are BM waiting for?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for all your tips!
I think I'm going to buy the Micro Cinema for my personal projects or for shots without rush.

What about external monitor solution? Is the Video Assist the best bet, since it also records 60p? Or there are some cheaper monitor that could be worth to consider?

Thank you very much!!

9 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

just my opinion, but yes, I haven't turned my GH4 on since November when I bought a Pocket. Just finished shooting a short doc with it. And now I have the Micro which I prefer in many ways to the Pocket.  But yes, being that I was always finishing in 2K or 1080p, I don't miss the 4K so much. Would be great to have it all but color and DR come first if I have to choose.

Thank you for your precious advices! I loved your GH4 images, so I think BMMCC have to be something really special!

Next week I'll try to search it!

Do you think the m43 Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 is wide enough with it or I have to search something wider? 

How do you rig it with an external monitor?

Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe BMD can work out a new firmware with an option of 30fps HDMI output. The 60fps output it has now basically screwed many of the EVF/monitors we are using, and not everyone is planning to change the gear yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

Do you think the m43 Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 is wide enough with it or I have to search something wider? 

How do you rig it with an external monitor?

Thank you very much!

12mm is pretty wide. I have a speedbooster on it that makes it nearly equivalent to a Super35 sensor, which is a field of view I'm more used to. and I have it rigged like this currently. when i go shoulder mounted the monitor gets rigged to the front with a Noga arm connected to two handles, and a shoulder pad slides onto those rear rods where the monitor is now. whole thing weighs roughly 7lbs and that's a fairly heavy lens on it. it's just enough weight to counter "micro jitters" without making it a beast to lug around.

9Dc5qaG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

12mm is pretty wide. I have a speedbooster on it that makes it nearly equivalent to a Super35 sensor, which is a field of view I'm more used to. and I have it rigged like this currently. when i go shoulder mounted the monitor gets rigged to the front with a Noga arm connected to two handles, and a shoulder pad slides onto those rear rods where the monitor is now. whole thing weighs roughly 7lbs and that's a fairly heavy lens on it. it's just enough weight to counter "micro jitters" without making it a beast to lug around.

3

Zak is that a Rode VideoMic Go on you rig? How do you like this audio setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...