Adobe Rant

Neumann Films

9 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I know a solution. 

It's called Final Cut Pro X. 

The days are are long gone when Apple radically changed it. This is now an absolutely incredible edit program. 

In comparison, Premiere feels vastly outdated compared to FCPX's fluidity, speed, reliability, innovation, intuitive usability. It's just fantastic. One of Apples best properties. 

If you're frustrated with Premiere, FCPX is a no-brainer. 

Time for people to let go of the past and wake up.

Ah, well we're buggered on that solution then.

I know a lot of users on here struggle to see the value in Mac.. for me I just can't use anything else, even if it is double the price of a comparable PC. I find them much more enjoyable and intuitive to use. Also it has FCPX, which is an absolute blast. 

Might be worth checking out DaVinci 14. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Jn- said:

How do I delete a post anyone, while the "edit" option is still active?

Just edit the text into something like "post deleted"

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Ah, well we're buggered on that solution then.

I know a lot of users on here struggle to see the value in Mac.. for me I just can't use anything else, even if it is double the price of a comparable PC. I find them much more enjoyable and intuitive to use. Also it has FCPX, which is an absolute blast. 

Might be worth checking out DaVinci 14. 

GH5 10 bit fix.pdf

On the whole I like Premiere as an NLE and se it daily, the native grading is much better than FCPX's, but Adobe's atitude to bugs is terrible.

There are still horrendous bugs in audio, the mixer and automation, if using a mixture of high DPI and standard displays and so on...

The same bugs reported endlessley, thread after thread, year after year, no solutions.

The same simple feature requests over and over, completely ignored...

BUT WAIT! NEW MAGIC EDIT BUTON (or some similar gimmick)

7 minutes ago, jgharding said:

On the whole I like Premiere as an NLE and se it daily, the native grading is much better than FCPX's, but Adobe's atitude to bugs is terrible.

There are still horrendous bugs in audio, the mixer and automation, if using a mixture of high DPI and standard displays and so on...

The same bugs reported endlessley, thread after thread, year after year, no solutions.

The same simple feature requests over and over, completely ignored...

BUT WAIT! NEW MAGIC EDIT BUTON (or some similar gimmick)

You mean the audio cutting back during play back and not coming back unless you pause and then hit play again? Ugh...it really is time for a change.  

15 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

You mean the audio cutting back during play back and not coming back unless you pause and then hit play again? Ugh...it really is time for a change.  

That one is very rare for me now, but does happen.

The MAIN one is SO ANNOYING. I mix the audio with plugins and faders and so on, I export the finished film and IT IGNORES ALL OF IT! The audio is just as though all faders are reset and plug-in slots are empty.

As a result I have to export audio seperately, and bring back in. It's absurd.

I also mean VST plug-ins being completely reset, plug-in interfaces appearing at unreadably tiny size on hi-DPI displays, phantom automation being recorded without you asking for it...

There's lots more niggling bugs, but I don't think there's a lot of interest in fixing them

If they just kept all the features the same for a year, but added loads and loads of bug fixes, simple practical features and compatability improvements, I for one would be a lot happier

11 minutes ago, jgharding said:

That one is very rare for me now, but does happen.

The MAIN one is SO ANNOYING. I mix the audio with plugins and faders and so on, I export the finished film and IT IGNORES ALL OF IT! The audio is just as though all faders are reset and plug-in slots are empty.

As a result I have to export audio seperately, and bring back in. It's absurd.

I also mean VST plug-ins being completely reset, plug-in interfaces appearing at unreadably tiny size on hi-DPI displays, phantom automation being recorded without you asking for it...

There's lots more niggling bugs, but I don't think there's a lot of interest in fixing them

If they just kept all the features the same for a year, but added loads and loads of bug fixes, simple practical features and compatability improvements, I for one would be a lot happier

Oh yeah, I have had that happen before.  I think I resorted to rendering a master .WAV audio file and that worked.  I'm currently getting the audio cutting out thing.  I found multiple threads from 2013 that we're never answered on the issue.

I moved over to Davinci Resolve Studio.  Version 12.5 on PC has a few issues (GH5 10-bit 4k) and is a bit less complete as an NLE, but the engineers behind it have been pretty good at getting bug fixes and other verified issues solved by the next update. 

16 minutes ago, Mckinise said:

I moved over to Davinci Resolve Studio.  Version 12.5 on PC has a few issues (GH5 10-bit 4k) and is a bit less complete as an NLE, but the engineers behind it have been pretty good at getting bug fixes and other verified issues solved by the next update. 

For me, Premiere Pro is rock solid. Resolve is a crashfest. I guess it just depends what each of is trying to do with it.

I just can't move to Resolve for editing until they figure out another way around database-based project management. For those with multiple systems or offices, it's a complete non-starter

Been a premiere user for 4 years now and although at times it has been buggy, lately I've been fine! Also I've found their tech support fine- they've always fixed my issues, screen share and all. But again I'm not working on GH5 footage and I usually update my computer when I have to. I tend to not be on the latest gen of anything until I'm positive the kinks are worked out.

1 hour ago, Mckinise said:

Davinci Resolve 14 Announcement.  No clue what is in it yet.  I'm watching it live.

"Support for decoding H.264 Intra 422 10bit - DaVinci Resolve Studio only" SHOTS FIRED!

$300, playback speed has been VASTLY improved for me.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58544

What? There is a clip format that the free version can not load? There goes the workflow of giving assistants and directors in distributed volunteer projects the free version to make preparations or small changes themself while only I have a dongle for the studio version.

Yes...the people using the beta confirmed it. Only the studio version plays backl GH5 10bit clips. The light version doesn't.

(Also no new camera including no replacment for the 4 year old FullHD-only Pocket Cinema Camer was announced.)

17 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

What? There is a clip format that the free version can not load? There goes the workflow of giving assistants and directors in distributed volunteer projects the free version to make preparations or small changes themself while only I have a dongle for the studio version.

Yes...the people using the beta confirmed it. Only the studio version plays backl GH5 10bit clips. The light version doesn't.

(Also no new camera including no replacment for the 4 year old FullHD-only Pocket Cinema Camer was announced.)

That's right, the FREE version doesn't support the advanced codec. Only the insanely expensive $300 dollar version does.

3 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

I just can't move to Resolve for editing until they figure out another way around database-based project management. For those with multiple systems or offices, it's a complete non-starter

That's exactly what I thought. Then I wondered if I simply hadn't understood how Resolve works. What I like a lot about FCPX is being able to just create a new library for each job and know exactly where it, and the backups are.

1 minute ago, Geoff CB said:

That's right, the FREE version doesn't support the advanced codec. Only the insanely expensive $300 dollar version does.

I still have to get used to that new price point. (Luckily I sold my second dongle a while ago.)

Up to now the free version was missing high end features and was limited to FullHD.

Not being able to read some camera files is inappropriate.

It would force you to aquire in 8bit in the first place and you can't make the decision to buy the studio version later and then take advantage of the 10bit 4K footage you had aquired back then.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, Neumann Films said:

Yup, spot on!! That's exactly how condescending and unhelpful Adobe support was.  Great impression man!

Well, that is nothing new. It has always been their attitude, and it also happens to be the attitude of most companies that are in the business of making profits. You not liking it does not make it any less true.

My guess is that Adobe did not commit resources to the project until the camera was actually released, since they did not want to be developing solutions for firmware that could change. It is a sensible way of doing business. Sucks for you as a first adopter, but that is the nature of the beast. Professionals for who time is money buy gear that is tried and tested and that they know will work, so they will wait for any bugs to be worked out before making the commitment to use that equipment. The latest and greatest gear is for enthusiasts who don't mind being the guinea pigs because it is not going to cost them money being such. Surely you know that by now?

7 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

But it also doesn't support H265 in the free version either, also the free version does support projects up to UHD.

Up to now I could use DCI 4K and UHD in the free version (e.g. on a laptop in a train when I didn't have the dongle with me).

e.g. to dynamically crop and punch in to add perfect 1080p camera movements for stage performances shot in 4K in post.

Just not output in that resolution.

1 hour ago, tugela said:

Well, that is nothing new. It has always been their attitude, and it also happens to be the attitude of most companies that are in the business of making profits. You not liking it does not make it any less true.

My guess is that Adobe did not commit resources to the project until the camera was actually released, since they did not want to be developing solutions for firmware that could change. It is a sensible way of doing business. Sucks for you as a first adopter, but that is the nature of the beast. Professionals for who time is money buy gear that is tried and tested and that they know will work, so they will wait for any bugs to be worked out before making the commitment to use that equipment. The latest and greatest gear is for enthusiasts who don't mind being the guinea pigs because it is not going to cost them money being such. Surely you know that by now?

Surely you read the part of my post where I clarified that it didn't bother me until the 2-3 week update that made things worse? Everything up until that point was annoying but understandable.  The overall customer service is below par and that is something I will stand behind.  Its also something that factors into this.  Also, enough customers agreeing and not liking it DOES help make it become less true.  Trust me.  

On 23.4.2017 at 8:01 AM, Neumann Films said:

Have any of you ever browsed the Adobe forums?  Are ANY of the questions "answered"?  It's like in the US "Office" when Toby from HR reveals that all of the complaints get filed in a big pile and the point of it all is just for people to have a place to vent.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.  Fuck that, indeed.

All right, back to individually transcoding each clip in Rocky Mountain Movie Converter (...you read that correctly).

Oh, cool, you´re using Rocky Mountain Movie Converter. I also like that tool. Now it seems even more legit, since you are using it!

Please forgive my little joke, I really appreciate and like your contributions and insights to video pros and nerds and dreamers!!

cheers :)