Sony A6300 review (rolling) - Striking image but nagging issues

Andrew Reid

Ive read some things online about this overheating issue and one person claims to have fixed it (or at least made it less of a problem) by adding a cage to the body. Somehow this disperses the heat or acts as some type of heat-sink (I may not be using the correct terminology so please correct me if so). Also, if you're going to be shooting all day. There are usually plenty of opportunities to turn the camera off when not using it. If you're afraid of overheating why not give the little guy a break, remove the battery and leave the battery door open. Other people have also claimed to have shot outdoors in 4k and not experienced over heating problems

Rolling shutter also does not appear that bad to me in most test videos Ive seen. When you pan a camera back and forth quickly on a tripod I'm sure it looks terrible, but that is rarely a common practice when filming anything unless you're trying to shoot a live basketball/ tennis match

Does anyone know what the A6300 outputs over HDMI? to the blackmagic video assist in particular would be nice

Also, has anyone tried using an E-mount speedbooster on the a6300, I would love to see an example if so

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, John Palmer said:

Does anyone know what the A6300 outputs over HDMI? to the blackmagic video assist in particular would be nice

Also, has anyone tried using an E-mount speedbooster on the a6300, I would love to see an example if so

8bit 422 over HDMI, I am awaiting my speedbooster, but there has been a manufacturer delay according to my retailer

On 19. April 2016 at 10:59 PM, vaga said:

Has anyone tried to use a USB battery source and maybe a dummy battery inside the camera to see if it still overheats?

Both aren't of much help. I got 5 to 10 minutes more until the overheating power off occurred, in my case after 40 to 45 minutes total..

Too risky for long form interviews and events, but for most other things why not roll out with two of these?

You can just hand off the entire camera to  your DIT or assistant to offload the footage, swap the battery, and let it cool while you use the other body. 

It's good to have a backup body anyways.

You also have the option for 2 cam setups, or have one camera with a wide lens, another with a long. Or one on a gimbal, the other on sticks. Less setup. 

I guess a half hour limit doesn't seem like a huge problem because I remember when I had my RED w/ handle and it would last only like 20 minutes anyways (battery and media). 

• 1 month later...

A question to Andrew ( others are also welcome to answer) : Sony a6300 vs C100 with dual AF. Which AF is better?

I got a C100 Mrk 1 and intended to buy the DAF upgrade for 500€. Then I read about the A6300 and its miraculous AF. I now hesitate.

For thoses shots which need AF ( i.e. Gimbaled shots)  should I go for the C100 + DAF or get a A6300 ?( 4K aside)

Ps: I met you on the bridge in front of the Bode museum in Berlin, you were testing the digital Bolex I recall.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2016 at 7:36 PM, YvesBer said:

A question to Andrew ( others are also welcome to answer) : Sony a6300 vs C100 with dual AF. Which AF is better?

I got a C100 Mrk 1 and intended to buy the DAF upgrade for 500€. Then I read about the A6300 and its miraculous AF. I now hesitate.

For thoses shots which need AF ( i.e. Gimbaled shots)  should I go for the C100 + DAF or get a A6300 ?( 4K aside)

Ps: I met you on the bridge in front of the Bode museum in Berlin, you were testing the digital Bolex I recall.

The c100 can only do dual AF in a central area and only do face AF using certain lenses. The a6300's is more flexible and faster. (source: past owner of the c100 ii and am currently playing around with the a6300)

On 6/29/2016 at 3:47 PM, Grégory LEROY said:

Hello Guys,

Would the rolling shutter of the A6300 be an issue with this kind of military training I'm shooting? (shot with a Nikon d5500 handheld): 

I plan to shoot mainly military training and interior real estate video.

I'm going against what kidsrevil said, if you shake the camera for added "intensity" like you did here the A6300 image will look horrendous.

44 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I'm going against what kidsrevil said, if you shake the camera for added "intensity" like you did here the A6300 image will look horrendous.

Wouldn't it be easier anyway to shoot a bit wider in 4k and do the jigglies in post? At least it would give an easier to control result.

So far liking the A6300 a lot. It's my favorite cookie cutter solution at the moment after what I tried out. Battery life is absymal and it jellies but besides that I think it's a lot of fun and because it's so small I take it with me a lot more (obviously no concern when using planned/professional).

On 6/30/2016 at 8:14 AM, Grégory LEROY said:

Thank you for your answer, I didn't know wide angle lens prevent rolling shutter. 

it doesn't prevent it, it like "masks" it. The wider the focal length the harder it is to see the rolling shutter artifacts but if you shake the camera back and forth like a mad man then RS is to be expected like @Geoff CB said

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Thx, unfortunately shaking was not intentional, I'm tall and I wanted the camera to be in the action so I handheld it at the level of my hips without any stabilization. I will wait for the Fuji XT2 report then.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

it doesn't prevent it, it like "masks" it. The wider the focal length the harder it is to see the rolling shutter artifacts but if you shake the camera back and forth like a mad man then RS is to be expected like @Geoff CB said

Thanks for advice

On 30/06/2016 at 3:23 PM, BrorSvensson said:

also have an lens with OSS helps

Yes but I've heard (and seen) OSS bring unnatural movement...

You really need to stabilize this camera. Tightly control its movement, or limit it to slow, deliberate moves. 

Perhaps ironically, I think it's a terrible run and gun camera, despite its small size, for those reasons. I'd put it on sticks, even. I'd focus on framing and composition to help tell the story, like "Ida."