5d Mark III - Canon 40mm Pancake - LA7200

cipetrick

Stop down.

Here's a table from a recent test I did with the LA7200 on a Tokina 28-80/2.8 on a GH2.

Tokina 28-80 0.6m 1.2m 1.8m 3m
28 f11 (+1D) f4 (+0.4D) f4 f2.8
35 f11 (+1D)* f4 (+0.4D)* f5.6 f2.8*
50 f16 (+1D) f5.6 (+0.4D) f5.6 (+0.4D) f4
80 f22 (+1D)* f8 (+0.4D)* f8 (+0.4D) f5.6

Basically I rated at what stop it was usable at different focal lengths and subject distances. I used a diopter if it improved the image (Tokina 0.4 Achromat, Cokin P101 +1). If it's marked with a *, then it means it was borderline and stopping down further should be considered depending on the subject.

I also did the same with the kit lens 14-42/3.5-5.6.

Panasonic 14-42 0.6m 1.2m 1.8m 3m
14 f5.0 f3.5 f3.5 f3.5
18 f8.0 f4.1 f4.1 f4.1
25 f11 f5.6 f4.6 f4.6
35 f8 (+1D) f5.3 (+0.4D) f5.3 f5.3
42 f8 (+1D) f5.3 (+0.4D) f5.3 f5.3

The LA7200 is a much better match for the kit lens. I also managed to fit a Heliopan +0.25 before the LA7200 which helps the edges quite a bit. More so on the 14/2.5.

In a nutshell, the LA7200 is really limited in use. It suits slow kit lenses quite well as they shoot in the focal and aperture range that it best works with. I would steer clear of using it with fast primes though. In fact it does have a softening effect, so it can be too much for vintage primes/zooms, but great with tack sharp modern coating kit lenses.
I use a Schneider its stunningly sharp! Superb Modern German industrial quality glass designed to project 35mm Hollywood films in
multiplexes they are over $5000 new .

It's Canon L series type sharpness
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/blackmore1/IMG_0011.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-Cinelux-diopter-Canon-DSLR-Cinemascope-anamorphic-adaptor-lens-kit-/230827090443?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35be5de20b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-Cinelux-diopter-Canon-DSLR-Cinemascope-anamorphic-adaptor-lens-kit-/230827090443?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35be5de20b[/url]

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Richard Peretti
      Hi guys,
      Found this packed away in the loft. Haven't used it in years. Open to offers, UK only please.
      Cheers

• By Kelly
      Well hello there EOSHD forum readers,
      I've just posted my short film, Axiomatic, to Vimeo.
      Shot with an older version of the 5D3 Raw hack without the audio component - remember when we had to reload the Raw modules each time after restarting the camera? Ah well...it still worked flawlessly and I cannot thank all the ML developers enough for what they unlocked. 5D3 raw is simply amazing.
      Spanish, French and English subtitles are available for whomever needs them and viewer discretion may be advised as there is brief nudity, violence and coarse language. However I tried to make everything as tasteful as possible.
      Hopefully you can take some time out of your busy day to view it and please feel free to share it with any of your friends or contacts that might enjoy some dark Canadian cinema.
      Kelly
      http://filmshortage.com/dailyshortpicks/axiomatic/
    • By hmcindie
      Hey guys, just finished this one we shot in 2014 (yeah, that's a long way back). This was my second time using 5dmarkIII and RAW except this time we shot way more material. It's not very good but we got it finished so I guess that counts for something ay? Sorry about the accents, we are from Finland so our english ain't the most natural. Learned a shit ton while doing this.
      If you have any questions about 5dmarkIII raw, just shoot away. Everything is upscaled to 4k here.
    • By julienajarry
      One of my like new Canon 5D mark iii for sale or trade here.

I am interested in matching something more like my 1DX mark ii, a 1DC or 5d mark iv

Make an offer, glad to add a bit of cash of course.

Looking forward to a good trade.

I also have a Canon 85mm f1.8 and Canon 40mm f2.8 for sale.
    • By hmcindie
      So we shot this one saturday afternoon, mostly 5d mark III RAW uprezzed to 4k and a bit of Sony a7s ii and a6300 shots thrown in (all 4k). A couple of DJI shots there too. This time our plot was excellent.